How many of you geezers still go to concerts?

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
i saw billy joel at wrigley field and warped tour (my brothers band was playing it) this year.

billy joel was great.

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
Last concert I went to was to see Rush during their Clockwork Angels tour last year in July. Great show to boot! Although Getty Lee's voice isn't sounding as hot. The music still was just as good as ever.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
i saw... warped tour (my brothers band was playing it) this year.

I went to Warped Tour a few times in high school, like 12 to 14 years ago, but I would imagine I wouldn't fit in very well now. The only band I'd really care to see from this year's lineup is Less Than Jake. 95% of them I've never heard of, though.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I went to Warped Tour a few times in high school, like 12 to 14 years ago, but I would imagine I wouldn't fit in very well now. The only band I'd really care to see from this year's lineup is Less Than Jake. 95% of them I've never heard of, though.

I'd imagine 95% of the bands that play warped tour these days are pseudo-death metal and nu-emo.

The days of "skate punk" reflecting the kids today is over. Not that I give a crap.

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
Last big concert I saw was Roger Water's The Wall Live. Couldn't make it to the original ;)

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Fuck an A Kreator's on tour? I'm mad butthurt that Slayer tickets are $80.

Stumbled upon a Y&T concert on the boardwalk a few weeks back. Last show I deliberately went to was Godflesh a few months back. They totally killed it!

luggal

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I think I qualify as a geezer and attend a lot of metal shows in NYC, CT and MA. I'm usually the tallest guy there if you want to shoot the shit :buttrock:

Might hit the Kreator show at the Palladium if my schedule allows. Haven't seen them live in a while (1998 @ Dynamo I think). Pleasure to Kill is always in the rotation! Their latest DVD "Dying Alive" looks pretty good based on some clips I've seen but I haven't had a chance to watch it in full yet.

Speaking of DVD's, the Morgoth DVD is fantastic.

potetoboy

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
saw Latyrx the last month at Brooklyn Bowl.. before that saw Ryuichi Sakamoto at the MET.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member

ha. no you wouldnt fit in well. I was there with my sister, other brother, wife, and father. Not exactly our usual crowd.

And less than jake was pretty good.

I'd imagine 95% of the bands that play warped tour these days are pseudo-death metal and nu-emo.

The days of "skate punk" reflecting the kids today is over. Not that I give a crap.

you are correct. gutteral throat noises of pain and angst from white suburban kids.

My brothers band didnt even belong in that crowd- they are kind of like if Muse and U2 had a baby. Whats interesting is that there was no crowd when they started, but when they started playing using real vocals (read: not screaming) and grooves with non power chords the crowd built up pretty big. Go for the noise because its trendy, but they still get pulled in for good tunes. They were the one of the only bands like that there.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
you are correct. gutteral throat noises of pain and angst from white suburban kids.

My brothers band didnt even belong in that crowd- they are kind of like if Muse and U2 had a baby. Whats interesting is that there was no crowd when they started, but when they started playing using real vocals (read: not screaming) and grooves with non power chords the crowd built up pretty big. Go for the noise because its trendy, but they still get pulled in for good tunes. They were the one of the only bands like that there.

Well, it's good to know that when I make baseless assumptions they still turn out to be correct.

Also, screaming > singing

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Gonna see Pelican in October. Never seen them before, but heard they are fantastic live.

They are. I saw them and ISIS live at a small shitty venue in Birmingham, AL. Despite the bullshit venue they rocked the house.

Have fun!

EDIT: Goddamn, I just realized I haven't even been to any semblance of a concert since Halloween 2011. Pretty Lights, Nashville, TN.

FML. :(

Last edited:

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
And less than jake was pretty good.

I'd far prefer to see Less Than Jake circa 1996-1998, but I'd settle for seeing them now if I ended up at Warped Tour for whatever reason. I would hope they still mainly play their hits from Pezcore, Losing Streak, and Hello Rockview. I honestly haven't even listened to their last four albums.

I REALLY wanted to go see Spoon this month but none of my geezer friends are interested. I had one friend that would have wanted to go, but he A) still owes me money from the last shit we did and B) had tickets to 2 different Tom Petty shows just days from the Spoon show. Bah.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I think I qualify as a geezer and attend a lot of metal shows in NYC, CT and MA. I'm usually the tallest guy there if you want to shoot the shit :buttrock:

Might hit the Kreator show at the Palladium if my schedule allows. Haven't seen them live in a while (1998 @ Dynamo I think). Pleasure to Kill is always in the rotation! Their latest DVD "Dying Alive" looks pretty good based on some clips I've seen but I haven't had a chance to watch it in full yet.

Speaking of DVD's, the Morgoth DVD is fantastic.
Morgoth's Odium was so awesome, I know it's no cursed nor eternal fall but damn it I love it! That's the last album I've heard, around 20 years a go I think.

Kreator, the super amazing no cheese riffs, no cheese crap, always ready to destroy everything! Hope to see you there!

Hello

Crossed Swords Squire
I went and saw Nine Inch Nails, Soundgarden and The Dillinger Escape Plan last month at Virginia Beach this past month. TDEP wound up replacing Death Grips(dropped off/retired) which act wound up being good thing. The show had plenty of energy and great sets. Got a chance to go to the beach and walk the boardwalk the next day. They still had a Flipper McCoy's so me and my bro played a few games.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I went and saw Nine Inch Nails, Soundgarden and The Dillinger Escape Plan last month at Virginia Beach this past month.

Haha. If you told the 14 year old me with his Under The Running Board EP or Calculating Infinity that you were from the future and you saw DEP open up for Nine Inch Nails and Soundgarden, I would have believed the time travel story over the line up of that tour.

Boy times have changed. Back then, the Soundgarden and NIN crowd usually weren't down with a band like DEP.

Probably still aren't, but apparently some booker thought so. DEP fell off years ago anyways, so I shouldn't be surprised.

Last edited:

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Haha. If you told the 14 year old me with his Under The Running Board EP or Calculating Infinity that you were from the future and you saw DEP open up for Nine Inch Nails and Soundgarden, I would have believed the time travel story over the line up of that tour.

Boy times have changed. Back then, the Soundgarden and NIN crowd usually weren't down with a band like DEP.

Probably still aren't, but a some booker thought so. DEP has sucked for years anyways.

That band (DEP) sounded fucking horrible. If I was to see NIN and Soundgarden that is the last band I would want to hear open.

I went and saw Phish a couple weeks ago with no opening act and it was pretty incredible.

Hello

Crossed Swords Squire
Yeah i was surprised to see Death Grips on the tour until they backed out/retired https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcjhJLcIDOA

Even NIN and Soundgarden on the same bill seemed strange as it always seemed in the media that they did not get along. The show turned out great with everyone putting off lots of energy(i also thought the NIN show was a little better than the last tour when they had a bunch of backup singers(it was good diff but i wanted the original)

Im really glad The Dillinger Escape Plan came on the tour though as i hadn't had a chance to see them(the crowd didn't really do much but my trio went crazy!!!

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Next month I'm seeing Skream in Brooklyn, and in Oct it's the Slowdive reunion in Philly.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
DEP used to be amazing - They blew me away when I first saw them in a skating rink with their original vocalist, Dimitri. I don't like their new direction but I wish them all the best - I think they deserve the success...

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Next month I'm seeing Skream in Brooklyn, and in Oct it's the Slowdive reunion in Philly.

They're coming to Boston, but I'm pissed that Low is on all of the dates on the tour except Boston's.

DEP used to be amazing - They blew me away when I first saw them in a skating rink with their original vocalist, Dimitri. I don't like their new direction but I wish them all the best - I think they deserve the success...

Cool. Give me Dimitri or nothing.