CMVS - World War II edition

miisalo

Astra Superstar
Tulipa sitten aloitettua vihdoin tuo CMVS projekti. MV-1C tuli hankittua jo tammikuussa ja razoola toi miittiin universe biossin siihen. Projektin alku vaan ei meinannut millään lähteä käyntiin, kun en jaksanut hankkia tarvittavia liittimiä jne. Mutta nyt homma edistyy hitaasti mutta epävarmasti.

Projekti alkoi perusjutuista, eli biossin asennuksesta ja samalla myös juotin johdot stereo äänen ottoa varten:

12757397453_0acc361fd4_c.jpg

12757268455_01e0aeb3f8_z.jpg

miisalo

Astra Superstar
Seuraavana vuorossa kotelo. Yritin ensin tehdä ALUCO komposiittilevystä koteloa, mutta kuviosaha oli hieman vaurioitunut eikä sillä saanut edes kunnon ohjureiden kanssa suoraa jälkeä aikaiseksi. Siinä sitten CDZ:lla metal slugia pelatessa yhtäkkiä keksin idean..

Kävin varustelekassa poimimassa kaksi Maxim konekiväärin ammuslaatikkoa, tässä laatikot n. tunnin pesemisen jälkeen:

12757713864_c0541d8606_c.jpg

Aluksi tarkoituksena oli leikata auki laatikko ja toisesta sitten leikata hieman isommat peltipalat ja niitata niistä uudestaan kotelo. Mutta tarkemmin näitä tutkittua ja pestyäni huomasin, että kappas, ei ole sähköliimalla tehtyjä vaan niitattu ja siitähän se ajatus lähti:

12757717914_e773622112_c.jpg

Ja kun tarpeeksi hienosäätötyökaluja käyttää, niin lopputulos palkitsee

12757278425_f01092fbb3_c.jpg

Tässä muuten vastaava laatikko näkyy tositoimissa

talvisota3.jpg

Last edited:

miisalo

Astra Superstar
Seuraavaksi vuorossa ns. reijitys. Työkaluina pora, kuviosaha ja dremeli

Taakse tein RCA audiolle, miniplugille, scartille, virtaliittimelle ja virtakytkimelle reijät. Päälle tietenkin slot reikä

12757727324_af146d157d_c.jpg

Eteen tein joystick portit

12757286625_26b2b1b25d_c.jpg

Ja kun reijät olivat valmiit, maalasin kotelon NATO Olive värillä, kuvassa ensimmäisen kerroksen maalaamista.

12757782963_eeb343ea45_z.jpg

miisalo

Astra Superstar
Kun maali oli kuivunut, hinkkasin maalipintaa varovasti kankaalla ja paperilla saadakseni siitä hieman kulahtaneen oloisen, muutenkin mattamaaliin jää helposti näkyviä jälkiä jos sitä ei vähän kiillota tai vedä lakkaa päälle.

Taustalla näkyy myös alkuperäiskunnossa oleva boksi

12788842184_15db6321e8_c.jpg

12788843824_f32e06ecb5_c.jpg

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I like where this is going.

More pics plz.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
this could be quite stunning if done right! Keep it up.

miisalo

Astra Superstar
Ok, maybe some updates also in English. Let me summarize it.

I got the MV-1C in January, just before I held local Neo-Geo meeting in my place. I didn't have parts and connectors nor time to began building it. But now I have the parts and I can spare few hours for the project.

I first started to build case from composite aluminum panel but (fortunately) my jigsaw had problems and would not cut straight ( it was dropped earlier ). Luckily when playing the metal slug with my CDZ, I had got this idea of military look and feel.

I went to local Army Surplus store that sell new and vintage army cloths and hardware and I found these ammunition boxes used with maxim machine gun during WW II. I bought two so I could cut & paste but after hour of washing them, I found that they were not welded, just rivets that I could cut.

So day before yesterday I cut the rivets, made the holes and yesterday I painted the case and carefully rubbed it with rag to have more "used" look. Today I began to modify the jamma harness to use with the case. More pictures coming later.

Elikkä lisää kuvia tulossa tänään kunhan saan muokattua jamma liitintä johtoineen.

Edit: sorry about spelling etc. I got dyslexia and I need to read my writing like 10 times to fix all the mistakes.

Last edited:

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
I would have just tried to find a 'nice' one and not painted it. ''patina'' I couldn't build it at all though really.
I'm Finnish, a little under 50%.

does it need or have any ventillations? it would stink to burn it up.
Cool!

miisalo

Astra Superstar
Yes, I would have preferred not to paint it, but those two were in best condition of whole stack of them. I had to wash them well because they were covered in oil, dust, mud etc. I found rusty spots I had to sand (maybe I could have just lacquered over?) and also cutting the box left marks so there was "fresh" metal showing and it didn't look good. In retrospect, I should have leave it outside for couple of days to generate thin layer of rust and then used lacquer over it. But what is done is done.

Today I modified the Jamma harness I had and soldered the controller ports

12804892893_c85c4944e7_c.jpg
12804895123_59042aa42a_c.jpg

I left the wires long enough so that the "front" lid can be opened without problem.

Tomorrow I'll try to find time to solder scart and resistors and cap for RGB and sync signal. Next update probably after weekend.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Cool project brotha! Looking forward to more updates.

cyriades

Super Spy Agent
Oh wow!! Sounds like it is a lot of work, but very worth it! I definitely want to see the ongoing project as well :)

miisalo

Astra Superstar
Gotta ask your opinion, should I leave the top as it is or paint some text in military style? Maybe using cyrillic alphabets Russian style and small English text under it? It is a Russian (Soviet Union infact...CCCP) ammunition box...

НЕО ГЕО
NEO GEO

ВВИИ ЕДИТИОН
WWII EDITION

Maybe also player 1 and player 2 texts next to the ports.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
hm, I wouldn't write anything on it, looks bad ass enough as it is and I like basic designs better in general ;)

Shame you had to cut through the star on top of it though, but I see that it would've been reversed otherwise...

Last edited:

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
hm, I wouldn't write anything on it, looks bad ass enough as it is and I like basic designs better in general ;)

Shame you had to cut through the star on top of it though, but I see that it would've been reversed otherwise...

partly agreed
ru_wwii.gif

the hinge had to be on the front for some reason?

miisalo

Astra Superstar
the hinge had to be on the front for some reason?

It just looked wrong that way. Again in retrospect I could have just turned the motherboard around.

I ẃas thinking about this kind of texts:

http://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/us-ammuslaatikko-30cal/6186/

But maybe better without

Anyway, most of the soldering is done. If I'm not too tired this eve (I have to hold boxing and kickboxing classes) I'll try to finish it tonight and run first tests. Hopefully my wife picked up scalerboard I bought yesterday.

miisalo

Astra Superstar
I just had to continue. I finished the harness, created small module that filters the sync signal and RGB lines and splits audio (example for scart, miniplug and RCA) and spent 3 hours first trying to solve missing video ( I accidentally the whole sync line to wrong scart pin, is it bad?) and then took of the old bios chip because the neobiosmasta CE line had bad connection and it was impossible to fix while old bios was still there...

But hell yeah....

12825729934_5880964a66_c.jpg

Also bought used SLG-in-a-box. Need to paint it too :) Or maybe I use the other ammo box for it.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
looking good. Also I think I now must ask after seeing the stickers on your monitor, have you been or are you still in demoscene?

(neo geo scene demo would be soooooo cool)

miisalo

Astra Superstar
Yes, I started to program with C128D, but with Amiga 500 I really got into assembly programming. I have cracked games, done few demos and intros. I have also done some stuff with Z80 so basically both NG's processors are familiar to me.

But but....

12834328465_dcafdaa007_c.jpg
12834335595_8854b81295_c.jpg
12834876874_ab3f987c98_c.jpg
12834443405_17873b68c0_c.jpg

Next I will connect it to my media room and take video about it.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
what keeps the board off the bottom?
is it just ' floating ' on top of the wires?
what keeps the board in place when changing carts?

maybe some wood or something and epoxy to 'fix' it in place after its tested?

miisalo

Astra Superstar
Check the topmost picture from my previous post. You can see standard feet used to attach motherboard into pc cases. The MV-1C has holes for those in the plastic case so I'm basically using the standard way to attach it into a cabinet etc. It is very firm.

So I got it assembled and moved it to my gaming room.... works perfectly and with the SLG-in-a-box the picture quality is great! Video shows it little bit dark coz I'm using the black scanlines for crt feeling.