Naomi 1 GDROM issues.... Error 21 "THIS GAME IS NOT ACCEPTABLE BY MAIN BOARD"

FusionITR

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
not from the two dimms that i got this issue from. after swapping in some compatible ram they tested perfect with games. before that always a error 21. the old ram worked perfectly in a pc also. dont know what was different it seemed compatible but didnt work.

can you post the info on the ram you got installed

just went to look at the last set of ram i took out it was 128mb total in two sticks. i put in 2 128mb rams sticks totaling 256.
im guessing your ram is small ram also and the ram is being filled up and spoils over causing corrupt game error 21

naomi need 256 total or 512 total. two sticks each totalling those

It looks like I have two 128MB sticks, is that enough to load cvs2?

Here are pics of the ram:

sdg3o4.jpg

DIMM Board test:

29bebtl.jpg

The RAM test:

ao81f7.jpg

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Almost every NAOMI game will run on a 256MB DIMM setup, only one or two need 512MB (Melty blood I think?) It's mostly the triforce/chihiro stuff that uses these same dimms which use 512.

I could be wrong on this, but I thought it was supposed to be just one 256 stick or 2x256 sticks, I didn't realize any of these used 2 128's.

edit: that DIMM firmware is old as fuck. I wonder if that's an issue.

Last edited:

skate323k137

10 Year Member
I'm guessing "Yes" on 256MB being enough for that game (which it is).

BIOS won't even say gd-rom system when you boot if it's not new enough to recognize the drive, so I think the BIOS on the mobo itself is fine. Still if you know the version let us know and we can be sure on that.

DIMM firmware upgrades from a version below 3.03 require a physical disc to update. 3.03 up you can netboot the update if you have a net dimm anyway. You have 1.02 so obviously no network booting to update that. You might need to send that one off to someone to have it updated if it can be.

FusionITR

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I'm guessing "Yes" on 256MB being enough for that game (which it is).

BIOS won't even say gd-rom system when you boot if it's not new enough to recognize the drive, so I think the BIOS on the mobo itself is fine. Still if you know the version let us know and we can be sure on that.

DIMM firmware upgrades from a version below 3.03 require a physical disc to update. 3.03 up you can netboot the update if you have a net dimm anyway. You have 1.02 so obviously no network booting to update that. You might need to send that one off to someone to have it updated if it can be.

How can we be sure the DIMM board firmware version is the problem?

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Bios shouldn't be the problem.

If it were, then you'd get a Bios Error Code when you first turn the board on.

FusionITR

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Bios shouldn't be the problem.

If it were, then you'd get a Bios Error Code when you first turn the board on.
Yes I am aware it's not a BIOS problem. I had a Naomi a few years ago and got this error, I had to replace the BIOS.

But for the firmware, is there any confirmation that 1.02 would cause cvs2 to give error 21?

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Not sure.

Firm ware Ver 2.06 (?) is the oldest I've seen run CvS2.

---

There are only two ways to up grade the Firm Ware on a Dimm board.

1. Find a Firmware update GD Rom disc & Pic chip. Iirc, the highest FW a DIMM can support is 3.17. I heard some older DIMM boards have trouble directly updated to FW 3.17, but can't confirm.

2. Re-program the Bios chip. Basically, find somebody with the right programmer and the update file who can remove the TSOP Bios chip on the board and re-flash it with the updated FW file. No problem directly up-dated to 3.17 this way.

The second way is considered the easier way; however, most people just find another Dimm board with newer Firm Ware, if needed.

---

Iirc, Noami1 came out in 98. At first it was cart based. Then, the GD-Rom / Dimm board Expansion system and Naomi 2 mobo came out in 2000. Also in 2000, CvS2 was released. So, imho, "old" FW shouldn't be an issue with a N1 and this game. It was all "current" hardware back then.

Last edited:

FusionITR

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
So, firmware could definitely be an issue...

I am going to go out on a limb and say finding a firmware upgrade GDROM will be next to impossible these days, as will be finding a flashed dimm bios. I wouldn't need to ship it out as I can resolder the bios on myself.

But like you say, GDROM and CVS2 came out in the same year so it's probably not a FW issue anyway. We'll have to see when I get my other GDROM/cart in.

FusionITR

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Update

I just tried another GDROM game, Guilty Gear XX. Exact same issue, GDROM loads, memory check, then Error 21.

I am still not sure what I can rule out until I get my cart though. I'm leaning towards the DIMM board though. I wonder what the odds are the GDROM drive can be bad, yet still mechanically functions properly? The odds of the SCSI cable being bad, yet the GDROM is still seen by the Naomi MB without error?

FusionITR

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Well I my other DIMM is in transit, should be here tomorrow.

How often do these things go bad? Is this the part that always fails first?

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
That depends on how the system was setup and used.

Overpowering a system will cause a either the Dimm or the I/O board to fail.

And over accessing a Drive will cause it to wear out.

Naomi is finicky.

Last edited:

FusionITR

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
That depends on how the system was setup and used.

Overpowering a system will cause a either the Dimm or the I/O board to fail.

And over accessing a Drive will cause it to wear out.

Naomi is finicky.

I see that. And I thought MVS's were bad.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Hate to advocate piracy but shit like this is exactly why I netboot. No optical drive to worry about and my DIMM has been happy for years.

FusionITR

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Hate to advocate piracy but shit like this is exactly why I netboot. No optical drive to worry about and my DIMM has been happy for years.

I want the option of putting my games in cabs potentially for a commercial venture in the future.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Sega released a Compact Flash Drive. The part was available in Europe.

It requires a Net/Dimm board, with firmware 4.01, and a scsi port. And the part replaces the GD-Rom drive in the set up.

I was told, back in the day, you had to send your Disc and Pic chip into Sega to get it converted to Compact Flash. Then they send an encrypted Compact Flash drive and pic chip back to you. Game works the same as a GD-Rom Disc and Pic.

After market innovators have since "improved" upon the CF system.

FusionITR

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
This is turning into a nightmare.

The new DIMM that came in the mail yesterday..... DOES NOT WORK AT ALL.

I get error 22 communication error. When I go to the test menu, there is a communication timeout with the DIMM board. I put in back my old DIMM board and it works fine (but still get error 21 after the game loads).

Here is the combinations I have tried:

1. New DIMM Board -----> Error 22 (communication error)
2. Old DIMM Board with New DIMM Board RAM ----> Error 21 (same as before)
3. Old DIMM Board with New DIMM Board RAM and New DIMM Board IO ----> Error 21.

I just cleaned the contacts of the new DIMM board and letting it dry. Also going to check the voltages from the power supply later (maybe the new DIMM board requires a slighly higher voltage on the 5V or 3.3V line?)

Anything else for me to try? I am at a loss here.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Damn :(

I really doubt it's a voltage issue but you can try 5.1v at the edge of the NAOMI. No higher though. I always run mine with 5.1 at the edge because it'll be slightly lower than that by the time it gets to the components using the voltage.

If I wasn't using both of mine right now I'd send you a loaner DIMM. Maybe someone on here could do that for you?

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Rule out the ram.

---

Last time I encountered Error 22, the bad part was on the bottom board of the Dimm. The Ram and the I/O board tested fine.

So, you can also try swapping I/O boards too. See if that helps. If Error 21 persists, then rule out the I/O board too.

---

Also I've also seen Error 22 when a Dimm board is not seated properly (pushed down all the way) on the board. Make sure the new Dimm board is seated down all the way.

---

Imho, try not to exceed +5.05v when adjusting your power . Ideally, it should work at +5.00v.

---

If the new Dimm board does not work after re-assembly, then return it. These parts are a pain to fix.

---

Also, imho, find a buddy with a working Naomi GD-Rom setup. Take your system over to his place and trouble shoot over there. Much easier than ordering a bunch of parts.

Last edited: