What's the difference between an NGPC Slim and a regular one?

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Was thinking of picking one up if there was any significant difference.

Also, does anyone know what they go for these days?

Teknoman

n00b
Not really that big of a difference, just slightly slimmer, and I think they only come in clear type colors (crystal blue, clear grey, yellow etc). Kevin from Back in my Play actually just made a video comparison of the two. Funny enough, when I snagged a crystal blue clear, I had no idea it was supposed to be slim compared to others.

http://backinmyplay.com/weekend-review-slim-neo-geo-pocket-color-with-comparison/

Pricewise, i'd say between 50 and 70 for a good condition system + game.

Thanks Teknoman for posting that vid. I was also wondering what the difference between the two were. I have the transparent yellow one which is a slim model apparently.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I have both. The slim has higher contrast. Darker blacks, brighter whites. It's noticeable side by side. If you can, always go for the slim.

I have the original model in great condition that I originally purchased new and the stick is very tight, but I also have a slim model that I got used on ebay and the stick is much looser yet still fine to play with. I assumed it was because it has been worn out, is it known whether the sticks on each model differ in such a way?

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
^Ditto. Pretty sure that the slim was manufactured a looser stick.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
your best bet would be to get a Game Boy Advance SP 1st version (or just it's screen) + NGPC (preferably the larger version) and find someone to do the mod for you (if you do not want to perform it yourself). I haven't seen one for sale in a long time. But TBH I wouldn't go through the trouble, it's also a very challenging mod to do if you're not experienced. Get the slim version and play it by a lamb ;)

As for people doing the mod, I think Xian Xi did them once, also gegrago, maybe flavor. Be sure to steer clear of Rose Colored.

your best bet would be to get a Game Boy Advance SP 1st version (or just it's screen) + NGPC (preferably the larger version) and find someone to do the mod for you (if you do not want to perform it yourself). I haven't seen one for sale in a long time. But TBH I wouldn't go through the trouble, it's also a very challenging mod to do if you're not experienced. Get the slim version and play it by a lamb ;)

As for people doing the mod, I think Xian Xi did them once, also gegrago, maybe flavor. Be sure to steer clear of Rose Colored.

Thanks for the inofrmation. The only thing I ever modded myself was a PS1 to put a chip in i. Other than that I dont really have any experience with these sorts of things thats why I would prefer to buy one pre-modded.
The only thing that has ever held me back getting a NGPC is that it isnt front or backlit. (Frontlit in this case). It would annoy me having to sit under a lamp to play it. I owned the original gameboy, and although I loved that thing it was always a hassle to play.

bugula

Member,
the screen's actually surprisingly "reflective?". it'll pick up ambient light well so you don't need a light source right above it.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I have a metallic blue regular, and a camo blue slim. I think the differences are negligible. I would focus on getting one with a nice screen, new or no scratches.