starting em young

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Those games are far more conventional and don't end in about a minute and a half if you suck at them.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Hmmm hasn't anybody thought of the negative implications of introduction video gaming to a 5 year old? Sure some people can control themselves when it comes to gaming,but others have a hard time keeping the gaming monkey off their backs. I, for one, have anyways had a love/hate relationship with gaming, it always took some effort to put down the games and do productive and beneficial things ( eg. studying, read, play an instrument). For me the effort was fairly minimal but I know a few childhood friends who's lives were literally consumed by gaming. These particular guys didn't go to college, they didn't build a career, they didn't bother to self-educate themselves in any interesting field... all in all they don't know much about anything useful or interesting.

Sorry to shit on your thread, but I know that gaming can be an addiction. You wont go to jail for excessive gaming, but you could end up a fucking loser with no job, no prospects,no woman and a sub-par mind ; all because you started to play video games too early or too much.

Last edited:

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
it is a valid point. He only likes to play Pacman right now. We only play for like 30mins on a Saturday afternoon. In the future is exposure to video games and screens in general will be monitored,no pun. When the weather picks up, we'll all be outside too much to play video games.

Hmmm hasn't anybody thought of the negative implications of introduction video gaming to a 5 year old? Sure some people can control themselves when I comes to gaming,but others have a hard time keeping the gaming monkey off their backs. I, for one, have anyways had a love/hate relationship with gaming, it always took some effort to put down the games and do productive and beneficial things ( eg. studying, read, play an instrument). For me the effort was fairly minimal but I know a few childhood friends who's lives were literally consumed by gaming. These particular guys didn't go to college, they didn't build a career, they didn't bother to self-educate themselves in any interesting field... all in all they don't know much about anything useful or interesting.

Sorry to shit on your thread, but I know that gaming can be an addiction. You wont go to jail for excessive gaming, but you could end up a fucking loser with no job, no prospects,no woman and a sub-par mind ; all because you started to play video games too early or too much.

EllertMichael

Mickey's Coach
Are you trying to raise a Nazi?!?!?
Shmupen sie Deutsch?

All this talk of if the child can understand the mechanics or controls is kinda irrelevant. The kid is just too young to play with any sort of proficiency. All NeoDadd should be concerned with is "starting em young" - putting the shmup bug in his kid's ear so that when they get older they hopefully recognize the genre and want to explore it deeper. Things like memorable images and music will help this along
8Jt92lr.jpg

MrRoboto19XX

Rugal's Thug
The Star Soldier series seems like a good starting point, not terribly complicated, and pretty cheap to boot.

SHOGUNATE_LSD

War Room Troll
When I was 4,5,6 years old I distinctly remember loving shooters more than any other kind of game. In fact my Nintendo collection growing up, sparse as it was as i lived near a video rental store, i had a couple RPGs and a bunch of shooters and that was it!

Defender doesn't seem so bad, I was playing Gradius at that age, mind you not very well at all, but i was playing it!!!

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
I remember really liking to play Strike Gunner STG on my cousin's SNES. Incredibly simple patterns for the first stages good for little kids I'd say. That being said the game isn't that good when compared to other shooting games of that period, but growing up is was the only one we had and it sparked my love of the genre on consoles.

Finding the kid a Raiden arcade machine will work also.

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
Finding the kid a Raiden arcade machine will work also.

Raiden would be a solid shooter for your kid! I remember playing the game at the grocery store while my mom shopped; she would give me a dollar while she would be shopping, and I would be playing that until she was done. That and Strikers 1945 were my games to play.

Galaga, Space Invaders, and (if it's considered a shmup) Missile Command are great titles to get the kid into shmups.

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
There's some easier PC Engine shooters that would be good starters for a kid. Magical Chase, Air Zonk, Psychic Storm, Spriggan, Detana Twin Bee are all easy enough for a kid to get through a couple stages

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I started my little brother at 4 years old with the original Super Mario Bros. After he got used to that I moved him up to Mega Man 2 for NES.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I'd go unconventional... REZ for the PS2 (or DC or 360). Shooting and music.

big_cype

n00b
I have two boys, 5 and 3 and they love playing aero fighters 2 on my MVS cabinet. joystick and one button (although my 5yo loves the special weapon now that he's found it) is the way to go. But that being said, my older son also likes playing MS4 with me in 2 player. I play, and he just throws grenades until he dies and gets more!

vinnyguy

n00b
I've got my 5 year old son and his cousins playing TMNT. They press the add credit buttons over and over and are convinced the machine is saying powerbunga when they do it. They also like to play metal slug and marvel capcom(the superhero game as they call it)

Don't get scurvy

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
My kiddos are 4&5...strictly driving games, Virtua Tennis, Sports Jam, Puzzle Bobble, and Pac games.

I for sure have a concern of too much, too soon-& putting violent ideas/images into their heads too young.

Even tho STGs are my fav...I'm gon wait a few years to share them w/ my young ones.

When they do pew pew for the 1st time, I'm thinking Space Invaders & Gyruss (my 1st exposures) and Star Parodia & Flying Hero for da cuteness.

YMMV.

Last edited:

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
I for sure have a concern of too much, too soon-& putting violent ideas/images into their heads too young.

Sound like the waifu speaking. I mean I was playing 1942, lifeforce etc at that age I I turned out prefec...
n/m

:make_fac:

vinnyguy

n00b
Well my wife asked me to take the happ guns out of the arcade a while back.
Lethal enforcers was taking it too far apparently... She didn't want the kids actually shooting at people, even if it's only a video game

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
This, I could understand.
Still playing Mario, Pac, Galaga. Might start working on some PCE (Bonk, Alien/Devil Crush)

Well my wife asked me to take the happ guns out of the arcade a while back.
Lethal enforcers was taking it too far apparently... She didn't want the kids actually shooting at people, even if it's only a video game

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
don't let your kids play video games

they may end up like chempop

Hans Grösse

Banned
Over the last couple weeks, I've introduced my son (4.5yo) to SMB & Pacman. I was thinking of showing him some shooters, but nothing to difficult, something simple. I was thinking about starting off on the 194X series? Shoot and bomb/dive? Any other suggestions to start a young one on?

console options: NES, SNES, GEN, PC/TG, Neo (AES,MVS,CD), SAT, DC, PS2, Xbox

What a great IDEA!!! Games today are little more than interactive movies that hold hands and no consequences for dieing. Those games let the player know of severe and ever-present consequences. Get him on Mega Man as well. Castlevania too.