starting em young

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Over the last couple weeks, I've introduced my son (4.5yo) to SMB & Pacman. I was thinking of showing him some shooters, but nothing to difficult, something simple. I was thinking about starting off on the 194X series? Shoot and bomb/dive? Any other suggestions to start a young one on?

console options: NES, SNES, GEN, PC/TG, Neo (AES,MVS,CD), SAT, DC, PS2, Xbox

Last edited:

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
tetris and dr mario? should be as easy or easier than smb.

clay fighter? I can't remember if that was 'gorey' or not though, I don't think it was. maybe it would make him 'too violent for todays society' though.

Last edited:

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I'm talking about shooters, since we are in the shooters section. :)

On a side note, yeah Dr. Mario wouldn't be bad, match up colors.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
I'm talking about shooters, since we are in the shooters section. :)

On a side note, yeah Dr. Mario wouldn't be bad, match up colors.

well then I guess you shouldn't have mentioned pacman and mario. (half serious.)
I'm in the new posts section. sorry for not checking what subforum this was in and just reading the title and content and dismissing the thinking about showing him some shooters statement as not the whole point. OOps?

EllertMichael

Mickey's Coach
NES - Air Fortress
SNES - Space Megaforce
GEN - Truxton
PC/TG - Gunhed/Blazing Lazers
Neo (AES,MVS,CD) - Twinkle Star Sprites
SAT - Darius Gaiden (set the lad up with rapid fire mode: at the Game Start/Options screen - Press and hold B, and press Y, Right, Left, X, Z, L and R)
DC - Radirgy
PS2 - Capcom Classics Collection 1 (1942, 1943, 1943 Kai, etc.)
Xbox - Castle of Shikigami 2

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Thanks for the list!
I honestly can say I've never heard of the, DC - Radirgy. Gonna have to track that one down(for me)

NES - Air Fortress
SNES - Space Megaforce
GEN - Truxton
PC/TG - Gunhed/Blazing Lazers
Neo (AES,MVS,CD) - Twinkle Star Sprites
SAT - Darius Gaiden (set the lad up with rapid fire mode: at the Game Start/Options screen - Press and hold B, and press Y, Right, Left, X, Z, L and R)
DC - Radirgy
PS2 - Capcom Classics Collection 1 (1942, 1943, 1943 Kai, etc.)
Xbox - Castle of Shikigami 2

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
now that I know... defender, its got to be available on some sort of collection. 4.5 yrs though. powerups and bullet piles seem like they'd be a bit much maybe I'd be holding him back? I think I 'got it' when I was around 8 and I played it, save the people from the beams dodge the one shot they have get to have a way better weapon than the bad guys. simple fun and not all convoluted? plus he'd be 'saving the world' so good values!

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
194X series is probably a good choice, I know it's the first I played back in the day. Strikers 1945 1+2 or Gunbird on saturn might be good too because they are even more straight forward and iirc have 8 difficulty settings and INSTANT RESPAWN (anything with checkpoints might cause fits of rage/tears). Also, do you have a joystick? I think it would make a big difference as far as fun factor and playability.

GEN - Truxton
DC - Radirgy

I think he wants to encourage his son, not anger him and cause a seizure. For real, Truxton is ball busting hard and extremely unforgiving, and radirgy has way too many elements to keep track of (shield, shot, sword, reflect..)

EllertMichael

Mickey's Coach
I think he wants to encourage his son, not anger him and cause a seizure. For real, Truxton is ball busting hard and extremely unforgiving, and radirgy has way too many elements to keep track of (shield, shot, sword, reflect..)

Kid needs to learn to respect Toaplan ;) You're right, though. Maybe Fire Shark would be a better game to start off with...

DC is pretty limited in terms of 'easy' games. Radirgy got my vote because of the shield/sword/reflect. What would you suggest?

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Yeah, I was wanting simplistic. I want him to enjoy the games, not get frustrated with them and not want to play. 194X and Defender seem a good place to start. I think there is a local arcade that had Defender. The only stick I have is for the DC unless I fire up the El'Mame.

194X series is probably a good choice, I know it's the first I played back in the day. Strikers 1945 1+2 or Gunbird on saturn might be good too because they are even more straight forward and iirc have 8 difficulty settings and INSTANT RESPAWN (anything with checkpoints might cause fits of rage/tears). Also, do you have a joystick? I think it would make a big difference as far as fun factor and playability.

Chempop

For DC, definitely Gunbird 2 because it has baby or monkey difficulty. It does have 4 attacks (rapid shot, melee, charge, bomb)... but the game can definitely be played ignoring that and just shooting and bombing. The cartoon graphics might be a little provocative at times, so watch out for that. I think you guys would have a lot of fun credit feeding co-op through the game.

Radirgy got my vote because of the shield/sword/reflect.

LOL, so you are going to try to explain how that game works to a 4 1/2 year old... kid is going to see all those colorful items and be all like, "Ooo I saw an Icecream cone!"

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
I feel that video games are kind of like cigarettes and alcohol

let em figure it out on their own

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
hmm, I started video games before the booze. Maybe that was the problem?

I feel that video games are kind of like cigarettes and alcohol

let em figure it out on their own

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
in that case

robocop vs terminator for genesis

also puzzle bobble, platform is irrelevant

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
If you can find it or emulate it, magical chase for the TG16 would be a good one. If you dont show them the cut scense, keio flying squadron on sega cd is another good one. Both are colorful and more cartoonie

EllertMichael

Mickey's Coach
For DC, definitely Gunbird 2 because it has baby or monkey difficulty. It does have 4 attacks (rapid shot, melee, charge, bomb)... but the game can definitely be played ignoring that and just shooting and bombing. The cartoon graphics might be a little provocative at times, so watch out for that. I think you guys would have a lot of fun credit feeding co-op through the game.

LOL, so you are going to try to explain how that game works to a 4 1/2 year old... kid is going to see all those colorful items and be all like, "Ooo I saw an Icecream cone!"

I bet the kid would last longer mashing buttons and consequentially repelling bullets in Radirgy compared to dodging bullets after running out of bombs in Gunbird 2.

Of course it doesn't change the fact that the mechanics of both those games are way over a 5 year old's head. So something like "ooh! Ice cream cones!" would probably be the height of enjoyment for a really young kid playing the game and maybe even be enough to keep them coming back for more.

"LOL"

Chempop

So something like "ooh! Ice cream cones!" would probably be the height of enjoyment for a really young kid playing the game and maybe even be enough to keep them coming back for more.

Haha, true enough! Part of the reason I chose psikyo games was due to the baby/monkey difficulty. They are pretty forgiving, plus co-op mode which I'm not sure Radirgy has.
I am pretty hateful of Milestones games I have to admit.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Life Force/Salamander, Star Soldier, or 1943 on the NES.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Is this a serious thread? You're going to try to teach a 5 year old how to play Defender? Really? His hands aren't even big enough to reach all the buttons on that awful control panel. Give him 1942 or Galaga or something.

Last edited:

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Is this a serious thread? You're going to try to teach a 5 year old how to play Defender? Really? His hands aren't even big enough to reach all the buttons on that awful control panel. Give him 1942 or Galaga or something.

i was playing Doom, Tekken, etc. etc. when I was 5