Gameboy Color Frontlight Screen Mod

Evilpoptart

Kula's Candy
Cool mod video from the awesome guys at kind a-lot of gaming Taking a GBA SP screen and tossing it into a GBC

Why do this when you could just play on the SP instead? Hell if I know because they can? *shrugs*:)

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
...or playing on a backlight modded original GBA. The best.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
If you have big hands, the only comfortable option is the original.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I like playing gbc color games on an actual gbc system instead of a gba due two reasons. One: the screen size is much larger. If you don't stretch they look like a postage stamp on a gba. Two: The GBC is (to me) more comfortable to play than the gba.

I've been playing my modded gbc quite a bit lately and it's neat, but I keep hoping for someone to do a better mod. The gba light really isn't well suited for this application.

arfink

Crossed Swords Squire
I've been experimenting with a friend on a mod which involves a custom made diffuser panel and LOCA (liquid optically clear adhesive) to cut down on the glare and internal reflections. The results have been somewhat underwhelming so far, but the concept is proven in the sense that Amazon's designers did the same thing with the Kindle Paperwhite, and that look fantastic. So we're hopeful we can figure it out.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If you can, that would be ridiculously awesome.

Ghudda

New Challenger
I've never completely understood the front light craze, either. It looks like it can really wash out colors. I was an inch away from light modding my NGPC but decided against it because I didn't want to risk the color integrity. Though, as Gohan said, the stretch option for the GBA is definitely awkward. There's always been something strongly appealing about a heavily modded GBC console for LSDJ/etc. I've always been a bit fascinated with the people who heavily mod their consoles for chip tune purposes but have yet to do it myself.

Kokonoe

n00b
I've never completely understood the front light craze, either. It looks like it can really wash out colors. I was an inch away from light modding my NGPC but decided against it because I didn't want to risk the color integrity. Though, as Gohan said, the stretch option for the GBA is definitely awkward. There's always been something strongly appealing about a heavily modded GBC console for LSDJ/etc. I've always been a bit fascinated with the people who heavily mod their consoles for chip tune purposes but have yet to do it myself.

You do sacrifice some color integrity, you are absolutely right, although I've noticed the non-backlit LCDs tend to have less ghosting than the backlit variants. I notice this particularly comparing a OG GBA Backlit modded with a non SP screen (custom one off ebay) which had more ghosting than my other GBA which isn't and also my SP frontlit compared to the AGS 101 with the former having much less ghosting by comparison. I haven't used a Game Boy Color in a while, however, so I don't know what the ghosting is like on it. (haven't used once since 2002 or 2003)

I do have my Game Boy Pocket, however, which has a lot of ghosting, but it's older than the Game Boy Color.

Ghudda

New Challenger
Ah, well I suppose this is, ultimately, the true way to enjoy a handheld console.
4f15ae395de67_111616n.jpg
bloblight.jpg

We won't even go into the optimal hand held accessory for sedation (PediSedate wins by a mile).
pedisedate.jpg

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I picked up a GB Boy Colour clone a little while back, it's much better than a frontlit GBC.

Ghudda

New Challenger
I picked up a GB Boy Colour clone a little while back, it's much better than a frontlit GBC.
Ah, is that the "KongFeng" GB? I remember people posting about these and buying them brand new not too long ago, I regret not grabbing one, especially since the price was pretty low if I remember right. Will the guts in the GB Colour fit inside of a standard GBC shell (I take it that they won't)?

EDIT: looks like the standard GB model and the GB Colour model can still be bought on Aliexpress with ease.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
No, Colour's PCB is a little bit larger than the GBC's. It's not necessary though, the Colour feels fine.

Kokonoe

n00b
One thing to note about the GB Boy Colour is that it doesn't have the proper aspect ratio of the Game Boy Color so there is a hit in picture quality due to the stretch. Still nice to own for what it is.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
To be fair, the backlit LCD-modded GBA systems wasn't a thing at the time of the frontlight mod. The GBASP's buttons aren't really the best, and the original GB / GBC cartridges stick out in a goofy way. Kirby's Tilt and Tumble doesn't really work either.

That sad, the frontlit GBC looks pretty poor, just as poor as the first generation GBA SP. That's why I no longer will make them for people - that and it's a pain in the ass.

Unless I'm playing a color game, I'd much prefer a well backlit double inverted Game Boy or Game Boy Pocket.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The backlit GBA thing is pretty awesome, but I don't care for playing GB/GBC games in general on a GBA. The screen is nice, but postage stamp sized.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I just picked up a gameboy color in a trade, and thought I'd try my hand at front-light modding it. I've been reading up on my options, and without sacking existing GBA SP's to harvest their frontlights, I ordered the kitch-bent kit (which are now back in stock)

The picture of the screen they have there doesn't look so great, but after a bit of googling I found a few links that have promising results, using the aforementioned LOCA curing method.

The relevant page:
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/14582/game-boy-color-frontlighting-101-mod/

I've been experimenting with a friend on a mod which involves a custom made diffuser panel and LOCA (liquid optically clear adhesive) to cut down on the glare and internal reflections. The results have been somewhat underwhelming so far, but the concept is proven in the sense that Amazon's designers did the same thing with the Kindle Paperwhite, and that look fantastic. So we're hopeful we can figure it out.

Did you get anywhere with this? I noticed you contributed to the link above, and I was looking into options that can minimize the amount of glare from the light bouncing around inside the GBC.

I found this guy's page that has some interesting details on the diffusion screen he used on a his mod (using a GBA SP light panel):
http://www.mylkstuff.com/page87.htm#.VD70vPl4ryA

I'm going to look into more options as I wait for my light kit to arrive.

But if anyone has any more info on minimizing the internal glare, please share!