Magic:The Gathering

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Sorry brother. I figured it was along the same lines as emulators and jaywalking.

But my point still stands, if you crack open a whole box of Revised boosters, you will get screwed. But as a sealed box, I would consider it a retirement fund. It will do nothing but gain interest.

This thread really got me thinking about my Magic Days. I always wanted a set of Arabian Nights and Legends when I was in High School. Maybe some day I will start picking up the common and uncommon cards and working toward a set. I never play magic in public anymore, but I love some of the old art. Like Juzam Djinn, and Rock Hydra.

Same thing with any of the oldest sets, there's too many junk rares to justify opening a box of anything vintage.

I bought a pack of revised on ebay 2 years ago and got lucky, I got a Taiga! I sold it and used some of the money to buy another pack... and got a Nether Shadow.

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
Holy crap, Channel Fireball was offering $1200.00 per sealed Revised booster box a month or more ago, now they're offering $1500.00.

Don't know what Star City Games is offering because I don't want to make an account just to see their buy list, but they're selling them at $2000.00.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Holy crap, Channel Fireball was offering $1200.00 per sealed Revised booster box a month or more ago, now they're offering $1500.00.

Don't know what Star City Games is offering because I don't want to make an account just to see their buy list, but they're selling them at $2000.00.

you could sell it on ebay. that's probably what they do. I bet they buy them at $1500.00 and sell them for $2000-$2100 and make a few hundred bucks. If you sold it on ebay it you would get hit with about $280.00 in fees after ebay and paypal is taken into account. Plus actual shipping costs and a ton of insurance. I bet you could set a BIN $2025 just so you don't pay shipping out of pocket. Especially if the box is in really nice shape. I'm really not sure why people buy these. It seems dumb to buy it in hopes of getting a bunch of duals. Most likely there are only 2 in a box, maybe 3. If Ki doesn't want that thing I would sell it on eBay.

I was really looking hard at old magic stuff the other day. This thread kind of inspired me. But after seeing prices, it just isn't realistic to be able to afford the cards I would like. Pretty much complete sets from revised and earlier. Especially when game and record collecting come first. But I do miss the old magic days.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I'd be paranoid as hell about getting screwed over via eBay or PayPal.

Just get tracking, and insurance. Don't ship overseas. They can't file a claim if you have tracking. At least not a didn't receive claim. I've sold items of similar value without issue. But it would be nerve racking for sure. Try posting on a magic forum and doing local pickup only. I would be worried though someone would open the box and file a damage claim. I bet if you post somewhere like mtg salvation you could get a buyer. I would be more nervous shipping a box to a shop with no form of legal backup than using eBay for sure

With an item of such value there is always risk. Even local pickup someone could try and Rob you. You just have to go for it

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I wish I was in the financial position to buy the box, I would love to have a sealed box of the set I started Magic with.

Greedo has some good points, although I'd still probably avoid eBay. Even if they receive it they could (fraudulently) claim fraud. eBay always shafts sellers in disputes, so fuck them.

I've had good selling experiences with Troll and Toad. Channel Fireball is good, and one other that I can't think of right now. I'd definitely compare and see who would cut you the biggest check.

Hell, see if Shawn is interested! I sold him a minty Collector's Edition set about a year ago. He's a Magic collector too.

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
Not sure I'd find a local buyer up here, but if I did it wouldn't be an issue. When I buy/sell expensive stuff locally I do it at a neutral location and have back-up.

(Seriously, who's going to try and rob you at a gun range?)

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
Anybody pick up any of the new Modern Masters? I stopped playing after Planeshift up until the recent Standard block, so this is a good opportunity for me to pick up some cards I missed.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I picked up my box of MM toady and pulled decently. No Goyfs but I did get Karn, Bobs, Noble Hierarchs, Twin, Elsh, and some other stuff. I made slightly more than what the box was worth.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I always called this Gimpos: The Gathering - the gathering of the gimpos.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
So I've decided to sell my collection. I'm curious if anybody knows how selling big lots goes down. I put in all my expensive cards into a collection tracker that gives a low, mid, and high price-point for them all. Obviously I wouldn't try to get the high-end price (I'm not kennyboy), so would somewhere between low and mid work? Or is low the norm for huge collections? Plus all the commons/uncommons that aren't listed (which are thousands and thousands of cards spanning many sets) on top of that. I'm not looking to make a buck on my stuff, or necessarily break even, but I don't want to take a bath on it, either.

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
So I've decided to sell my collection. I'm curious if anybody knows how selling big lots goes down. I put in all my expensive cards into a collection tracker that gives a low, mid, and high price-point for them all. Obviously I wouldn't try to get the high-end price (I'm not kennyboy), so would somewhere between low and mid work? Or is low the norm for huge collections? Plus all the commons/uncommons that aren't listed (which are thousands and thousands of cards spanning many sets) on top of that. I'm not looking to make a buck on my stuff, or necessarily break even, but I don't want to take a bath on it, either.

No clue these days. Back when I was big into MTG, everything was still done locally. I may be interested in what you've got. Shoot me a pm if you can.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
No clue these days. Back when I was big into MTG, everything was still done locally. I may be interested in what you've got. Shoot me a pm if you can.

That's also part of the problem. I'm not going through and explicitly stating everything I have. I don't know how to export from the collection database the rares/mythics/etc that I entered, so I'm sort of taking a bunch of pictures and saying "this is what you're guaranteed, there could be other shit." I just don't have the time, in all honesty. I was thinking about asking $400 - $500 for everything, but I have no idea if that would be considered insanely cheap or if I'm asking way too much. I took a bunch of pictures and uploaded them to an album here - http://imgur.com/a/eH098

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
That's also part of the problem. I'm not going through and explicitly stating everything I have. I don't know how to export from the collection database the rares/mythics/etc that I entered, so I'm sort of taking a bunch of pictures and saying "this is what you're guaranteed, there could be other shit." I just don't have the time, in all honesty. I was thinking about asking $400 - $500 for everything, but I have no idea if that would be considered insanely cheap or if I'm asking way too much. I took a bunch of pictures and uploaded them to an album here - http://imgur.com/a/eH098

Well, if that's as accurate as it is, who knows if you're asking too much or too little. The cards I can make out appear to be pretty decent. But I took a long hiatus from the game, so I couldn't say if the asking price is right. There is about a 7 year block of cards that I have no knowledge of. I am still interested though. I'll shoot you a pm after I've had some sleep.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
I know songohan posted it somewhere but how much did u get for the whole collection?

I picked up a 2015 core set and 2 deck dueling pack at Target this weekend & dam it feels good to be back in the game

There's a revamped online mtg app coming out in July called ORIGINS

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Origins just looks like the next version of the Duels of the Planeswalkers game they've been pumping out for the last 4 years. Is it actually tied to MTGO?

That being said, fuck digital cards. I dumped waaaay too much money into nothing. I only buy real cards now.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
The biggest complaint about planes walkers I've read is that you either have to buy in or grind endlessly for access to better cards. Supposedly origins will have complete access to every card in mtg's 20 history after you've purchased the game. Nothing beats the real thing of course but I'd like to be able to play matches online instead of turning up to comic shop tourneys or smokey basements hot boxed by neckbeards & juggalos

I'll install magic 2015 when I get my 128gb sdxc card for my tablet

Last edited:

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
I'm still playing the original MTG game by Microprose. You can get it to work on Windows 7 with some research. This game always brings be back to the good old days.

Also, I totally pulled a foil Kiki Jiki Mirror Breaker from a Modern Masters booster.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
Dam Son
I remember OG planeswalkers being buggy as hell

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'm still playing the original MTG game by Microprose. You can get it to work on Windows 7 with some research. This game always brings be back to the good old days.

Also, I totally pulled a foil Kiki Jiki Mirror Breaker from a Modern Masters booster.

I pulled a foil kiki-jiki from a Champions of Kamigawa pack a few years back. The best part? I paid $2 for the pack... Magic was still kinda at a low point at the time and my local game store couldn't get rid of those packs. Now those packs sell for ~$10.

I actually traded it a bit too soon, it's value peaked just a few months after I traded it off (which was because of it's modern masters reprint). I only got around $35 I think, but not bad from a cheap pack pull, lol.

P.S.- I want to like the original MTG game, but I can't be arsed to actually care about exploring. I just want to duel, and the difficulty of those duels was often pretty high! Never got anywhere.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
BTW... I've been meaning to ask and I keep forgetting: what's your most valuable cards?

My top 2 currently are a beta Demonic Tutor and beta Sol Ring.

It would have been a Force of Will or foil Mox Opal from Scars of Mirrodin, but I traded those off a few months ago.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I ended up getting $600 shipped for my collection. I'm not against digital cards. I have a pretty nice MTGO collection. It's just not fun to play with their shitty interface. There's no reason to bring out another digital MTG game when they can upgrade MTGO. Seriously, there's no reason to leave that shit looking like something from 1998. This new game coming out is a piss-poor answer to Hearthstone and will most likely be treated as such.

I love the old Microprose games. Lots of fun memories with that, and there's a torrent floating around with updated cards. As old as that game is, it's sad that it even looks better than MTGO. .

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I ended up getting $600 shipped for my collection. I'm not against digital cards. I have a pretty nice MTGO collection. It's just not fun to play with their shitty interface. There's no reason to bring out another digital MTG game when they can upgrade MTGO. Seriously, there's no reason to leave that shit looking like something from 1998. This new game coming out is a piss-poor answer to Hearthstone and will most likely be treated as such.

I love the old Microprose games. Lots of fun memories with that, and there's a torrent floating around with updated cards. As old as that game is, it's sad that it even looks better than MTGO. .

What's this new mtgo? That shits been in beta client for years, and that interface is pretty shitty. Will you be able to keep all your digital cards or is this a whole new online client?

Last edited:

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
Well, I sold off most of my valuables years ago, when they were worth about 1/4 of what they are now. Goodbye to my Mana Crypt, Library of Alexandria, and my favorite Candelabra of Tawnos.

Now, my most valuable would probably be a foil Garruk from 2015 Core Set or a foil Progenitus. I still have some Beta, Legends and promo cards, but nothing crazy.

On a side note, I've got a bit of a fetish for Beta, Legends, and Arabian Nights commons and uncommons. Love my disenchants, unholy strengths, holy strengths, and counterspells.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

Yeah, MTGO has always been ugly as sin.

From what I understand their last update to the interface made the shit even clunkier (I stopped playing just before that).

The old Microprose game does look better, and how they shrunk the cards to just their pictures until you hovered over them was genius. Gonna have to find that torrent with the updated cards, that's awesome.

Well, I sold off most of my valuables years ago, when they were worth about 1/4 of what they are now. Goodbye to my Mana Crypt, Library of Alexandria, and my favorite Candelabra of Tawnos.

Now, my most valuable would probably be a foil Garruk from 2015 Core Set or a foil Progenitus. I still have some Beta, Legends and promo cards, but nothing crazy.

On a side note, I've got a bit of a fetish for Beta, Legends, and Arabian Nights commons and uncommons. Love my disenchants, unholy strengths, holy strengths, and counterspells.

Beta counterspell is a $70 card now...