Magic:The Gathering

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Full art fetches and shock lands?
I never been so tempted to buy boxes more than ever before.

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
Wow, just looked at some more of the spoilers. This set is looking damn good. I'm almost getting some feels from the old days just looking at these.

Mokkori

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I also like the new dual lands. Could see some play in modern with all the "lose 2 life is not good against burn" meta.

But I gotta give it to Wizards, the art for the lands, in general for this set is outstanding. Kudos!

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I'm going to have to make a hydra deck for fun. They always push those cards and u just can't resist. They're a lot of fun to play. I had a pretty good selensya deck last year with primordial hydra, silverblade paladin, wolfir silverheart, thragtusk, and the multi color guy that comes directly into play if discarded.

I don't know what my obsession with hydra cards is. Ever since rock hydra in revised I always make a deck with hydra in it.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
yeah, Managorger Hydra is boss! I'd like to make a deck with those in it.

Mokkori

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I'm going to have to make a hydra deck for fun. They always push those cards and u just can't resist. They're a lot of fun to play. I had a pretty good selensya deck last year with primordial hydra, silverblade paladin, wolfir silverheart, thragtusk, and the multi color guy that comes directly into play if discarded.

I don't know what my obsession with hydra cards is. Ever since rock hydra in revised I always make a deck with hydra in it.

Hydras are a lot of fun. Most of the time, once they hit the battlefield, you can hear the clock ticking on the opponent's side....
tick tock tick tock : and now we have 8 more counters to deal with!

With this new set, I also want ALLY to be a thing... is that wrong? lol. The new Gideon will help a bit at least

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Full art fetches and shock lands?
I never been so tempted to buy boxes more than ever before.

Keep in mind the chances of opening one of those is the same as the chance of opening a foil mythic which is not good odds.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Just did a MTGO draft. I guess they award points now for participating in drafts. For some reason I have like 300 accumulated. Must be from doing Holiday Cube in the RTR days, because I don't ever remember doing a regular draft. I went ahead and did a Swiss draft and it went OK for being new I suppose. I went 1/2. The cards seemed to fall right, I though I was going to do better for sure. I managed to get Sorin, Solemn Visitor, and Tasigur, The Golden Fang. So I guess I can't complain.

I suppose I will save my remaining credits for a Zendikar draft in October.

Last edited:

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
So I started right around the end of Unlimited, beginning of Revised as an 8 year old kid. I was a little late for Arabian Nights, but I really remember Antiquities, Legends, and The Dark. The last expansion I really bought into was Ice Age, I think I was winding down with Alliances and Mirage, and was just about done by Visions and the 5th Edition.

So, it has been almost 20 years since I played. I played other CCGs after Magic and there were obviously a lot of similar mechanics. I think of any of them, I like the Star Wars: CCG the best.

In any case, last night I got somewhat roped into doing a draft mostly thinking "oh what the hell", these guys wanted to do it, so I'll play along for 9 bucks. A box of MTG: Origins packs, end up with 45 cards, add whatever mana you want, make a minimum 40 card deck and play a little round robin tournament.

I have to admit it was fun. I was totally mana starved for a couple games which sucked because my strategy was to drain opponent cards to the graveyard with two Dreadwaters and a Talent of the Telepath with the short deck, I did ok with two games where I was a turn short for the win. The other games I got demolished, but not having seen any of the cards I felt that was fine. Fucking flying creatures still get me every time. What do you mean a wall doesn't stop them?!?

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=398405
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=398483

I do wonder if all those old MTG cards got tossed at some point. I really have no idea what might have happened to them. Maybe mixed in with boxes of baseball cards. I'll have to look next time I'm back at the parents house.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
So I started right around the end of Unlimited, beginning of Revised as an 8 year old kid. I was a little late for Arabian Nights, but I really remember Antiquities, Legends, and The Dark. The last expansion I really bought into was Ice Age, I think I was winding down with Alliances and Mirage, and was just about done by Visions and the 5th Edition.

So, it has been almost 20 years since I played. I played other CCGs after Magic and there were obviously a lot of similar mechanics. I think of any of them, I like the Star Wars: CCG the best.

In any case, last night I got somewhat roped into doing a draft mostly thinking "oh what the hell", these guys wanted to do it, so I'll play along for 9 bucks. A box of MTG: Origins packs, end up with 45 cards, add whatever mana you want, make a minimum 40 card deck and play a little round robin tournament.

I have to admit it was fun. I was totally mana starved for a couple games which sucked because my strategy was to drain opponent cards to the graveyard with two Dreadwaters and a Talent of the Telepath with the short deck, I did ok with two games where I was a turn short for the win. The other games I got demolished, but not having seen any of the cards I felt that was fine. Fucking flying creatures still get me every time. What do you mean a wall doesn't stop them?!?

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=398405
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=398483

I do wonder if all those old MTG cards got tossed at some point. I really have no idea what might have happened to them. Maybe mixed in with boxes of baseball cards. I'll have to look next time I'm back at the parents house.

Mill tactics can be effective, but I don't think I would have gone that route without a Sphinx's Tutelage or two as well:

Sphinxs-Tutelage.png

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Mill tactics can be effective, but I don't think I would have gone that route without a Sphinx's Tutelage or two as well:

View attachment 28200

Thanks, I don't think I saw any of those come around during the draft, but I'll have to keep it in mind if I try that again in the future.

To say I had little idea of what I was doing would be an overstatement. I knew how to play, basically, but I had no idea what cards were even available to me, so some reading is in order.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Thanks, I don't think I saw any of those come around during the draft, but I'll have to keep it in mind if I try that again in the future.

To say I had little idea of what I was doing would be an overstatement. I knew how to play, basically, but I had no idea what cards were even available to me, so some reading is in order.

Yeah man, there's been a lot of changes over 20 years. When I started playing again 3 years ago it took me a bit to catch up with all the new mechanics. The cards are way more complex than they used to be.

I'm glad they added reminder text after the creature abilities and such, it's really helpful when the mechanic is explained right on the cards.

Mokkori

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Major change rules worth noting:

Damage doesn't use stack anymore

Each player can keep the same version of a legendary permanent (doesn't die if two or more are on battlefield)

And more recently, the new mulligan / scry rule (which I find nice)

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Major change rules worth noting:

Damage doesn't use stack anymore

Each player can keep the same version of a legendary permanent (doesn't die if two or more are on battlefield)

And more recently, the new mulligan / scry rule (which I find nice)

I dont think that new mulligan rule is in effect yet they are still testing it at tournaments to get feedback from the pros

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
old days blue and white.

Festival.jpg
415YsYdPqHL.jpg

playgroup only let me do this once...was it even legal?

Mokkori

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I dont think that new mulligan rule is in effect yet they are still testing it at tournaments to get feedback from the pros

It's not? Funny, I swore I saw some article about it after being tested at the Origins Vancouver grand prix.
Oh well, hopefully it will be implemented.

Edit: Here we go, it will be official at the BFZ pre release

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/new-mulligan-rule-starting-battle-zendikar-prereleases-2015-08-20

And while we're at it, here's the a preview of the next block... Game of thrones much? :)

11894561_10155927307800307_6705893876787897868_o.jpg

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Festival.jpg
415YsYdPqHL.jpg

playgroup only let me do this once...was it even legal?

Yup, it was legal... and a popular old combo too.

It's not? Funny, I swore I saw some article about it after being tested at the Origins Vancouver grand prix.
Oh well, hopefully it will be implemented.

Edit: Here we go, it will be official at the BFZ pre release

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/new-mulligan-rule-starting-battle-zendikar-prereleases-2015-08-20

And while we're at it, here's the a preview of the next block... Game of thrones much? :)

View attachment 28204

Yeah, I heard that the scry mulligan was pretty popular in testing. And I knew it would be.

P.S. - Jeez, they've already leaked the set after BFZ? Why?

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
P.S. - Jeez, they've already leaked the set after BFZ? Why?

Maybe it's because blocks are going to start rotating out faster.

I was wondering, what cards do you all think have the best art? I think this one is my favorite.

jd.jpg

P.S.: how do you link cards in a post? I thought it was [c]card name[c/]

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Maybe it's because blocks are going to start rotating out faster.

I was wondering, what cards do you all think have the best art? I think this one is my favorite.

View attachment 28222

P.S.: how do you link cards in a post? I thought it was [c]card name[c/]

I like Juzam Djinn a lot. A lot of my favorites are watercolors by Rebecca Guay:

ld194_see.jpg
Seedtime

elvish-piper.jpg
Elvish Piper

I think the card links only work on forums that support it, which would be Magic or other CCG related sites.

Mokkori

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
No it's ANGELIC DESTINY (Enchantment) from M12 :)

Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +4/+4, has flying and first strike, and is an Angel in addition to its other types.
When enchanted creature dies, return Angelic Destiny to its owner's hand.