Magic:The Gathering

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I miss the days of stupidly overpowered cards, like alpha-unlimited, tempest, and time spiral.

Eldrazi are insane, but tempered by their equally insane casting costs. The only way to effectively get them out is to cheat them out a la Elvish Piper, polymorph, show and tell, etc. And those cards aren't getting a reprint, lol

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
575px_Edgy_magic_gun_nerd.jpg

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Question, regarding alpha, beta, and unlimited, are there any exclusive cards in alpha or beta? Or does unlimited include every single card from those two sets? I understand they look different, just curious if unlimited is the exact same set as alpha/beta.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Question, regarding alpha, beta, and unlimited, are there any exclusive cards in alpha or beta? Or does unlimited include every single card from those two sets? I understand they look different, just curious if unlimited is the exact same set as alpha/beta.

Circle of Protection: Black and Volcanic Island were accidentally never printed in Alpha. Those and about 5 other cards were added to Beta, but I forget which ones. Unlimited has the same cards as Beta.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Nice, does it blow bubbles?

EDIT -- btw, the game is free

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
I'll give it a shot if it's free to play. Hopefully it's better than the annual releases they've been putting out that only let you select from a few blocks of cards.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I'll give it a shot if it's free to play. Hopefully it's better than the annual releases they've been putting out that only let you select from a few blocks of cards.

That's how I feel. I already spend money on mgto. I'm not collecting fir another game.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Looks like origins is a flop... As expected. Many review on steam, not even a 50%

Some issues in the steam forums are no chat, no lobby, broken mana tapping, etc

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
Looks like origins is a flop... As expected. Many review on steam, not even a 50%

Some issues in the steam forums are no chat, no lobby, broken mana tapping, etc

How sad is it that the Microprose game released in ~95ish is probably the best game based on MTG. Of course, this is only my opinion. But at the time, you could play with all released cards. Plus it had that pretty nifty exploration mode.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
As with most releases nowadays, we're probably playing a beta. I expect it to be patched soon.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
How sad is it that the Microprose game released in ~95ish is probably the best game based on MTG. Of course, this is only my opinion. But at the time, you could play with all released cards. Plus it had that pretty nifty exploration mode.

I agree. I only played the demo but even that was great.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
yea I want to play origins but I'm not buying an iPad to do so..

hoping steam gets their shit together

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I just checked the store and it was still on there. I played through the initial campaign and got to open a starter box + 5 boosters. The game itself seems fine. My only real complaint is that it takes forever to load games. We're talking loner than Sega CD load times, in the realm of 45 seconds to a full minute. Calling it a flop because people on Steam are giving it negative reviews for petty shit like gold caps and no voice actors for cut scenes isn't an accurate representation of the game itself, imo

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I just checked the store and it was still on there. I played through the initial campaign and got to open a starter box + 5 boosters. The game itself seems fine. My only real complaint is that it takes forever to load games. We're talking loner than Sega CD load times, in the realm of 45 seconds to a full minute. Calling it a flop because people on Steam are giving it negative reviews for petty shit like gold caps and no voice actors for cut scenes isn't an accurate representation of the game itself, imo

Weird, last night it was not there and people were complaining.

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
My god, the game is broken. I started the "Story Mode". First, it makes you play through tutorials that can't be skipped. On tutorial 3 or 4, it tell me to use a creature to block some attackers. Problem is the creature it tells you to use isn't anywhere to be found. Not in play, you have no cards in hand, and besides basic lands you only have a tapped creature in play with no abilities. Also, the game doesn't seem to want to connect to the servers, so after each tutorial, it told me it wasn't going to save my progress. Glad this "game" was free.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
It crashed one time in the middle of a duel and it's having a hard time staying connected today. Otherwise, I'm not seeing any crazy bugs.

Those tutorials are braindead simple though. They should allow players to skip them.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I'm just throwing it out there in case anyone is interested. I have the XBL MTG and also 2012, so if anyone is interested in some matches my XBL tag is electricgrave. I think Wes has it? Do you still have a 360, Wes?

Edit: I'm just asking 'cause I only see you in XB1 as of late, not trying to get in your business or nothing ;)

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Alright, I'm finished with this game. I have no idea how WOTC can drop the ball continuously on their digital offerings of Magic. I mean, it has to actually take work to fuck things up over the span of decades.

This game was touting itself as a free to play game boasting a platform to be continuously updated with future blocks of cards. Great. The problem is that there's no cross-platform play, meaning a person on Steam can't play against a person on an XBO. This means that your gamertag/ID is tied to the game, and not a special login to the game itself. So I can spend hours grinding for a complete collection on my Steam ID, but have to start completely over if I wanted to play on my XBO. What sense does that make? Especially if you're wanting to entice me to buy your stupid coins to open packs. I should have my collection accessible on any device that supports the game. What the fuck is wrong with you, Wizards?!

Let's face it, WOTC was pressured to offer something better than their yearly shitty digital offerings because Hearthstone was crushing them. I was excited that this forced them to re-evaluate the horrible way they've been doing business digitally, but they're either unwilling or unable to fucking put out an acceptable digital game. I think they hate money. If Hearthstone can pull in 114M+ in revenue last year, there's no reason Magic couldn't be doing the same, or better.

Then to further compound issues, the game is riddled with connectivity issues, which means you can't even earn gold offline. So why even play? If I can't play against my friends, I want to at least earn gold playing single player mode. There's literally no reason to play this right now (or ever, in my opinion).

Fuck this game. I'm sorry I even brought it up in this thread. I should've known better.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
so I guess Magic Online for PC is the best (only) digital option? I haven't played the PC version yet