Magic:The Gathering

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Checked and didn't see a previous thread for this.

Anyway, who all here plays magic, and what formats do you guys prefer? Ive been playing magic off and on since around 98 (urza's legacy) I stopped after kamigawa came out in 04 and just got back into it with Theros. Really looking forward to the born of the gods release this Friday.

As far as formats i play. I play draft and standard. I much prefer draft, as i feel it requires more skill. Standard is pretty fun as well. Heres a deck i plan on making once born hits retail.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/pulling-the-strings-1/

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I started playing paper magic when 3rd Edition Revised was out, (probably '96ish?) and stopped around 1999, which was when I graduated high school.

I still bought cards off and on, but there was no one local to play with after high school.

A few years ago I picked up MTGO, but I started to sink a shit load of money into it and I had to back off. Played that for about a year.

EDIT: I actually prefer MTGO because there's no arguing about the rules and such. No cheating.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
revised too? I build my own (probably illegal in all formats) decks sometimes because I'm too old for friends and don't bother to check what you're supposed to do these days.
the magic game I want would be online with the only rule restricting cards to one of per deck (not very popular probably)where you could scan your cards to be able to use them?

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
revised too? I build my own (probably illegal in all formats) decks sometimes because I'm too old for friends and don't bother to check what you're supposed to do these days.
the magic game I want would be online with the only rule restricting cards to one of per deck (not very popular probably)where you could scan your cards to be able to use them?

Having only a 1/60 chance to draw a particular card would make it pretty difficult to build deck strategy on... I think 4 of everything except legends is good.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I played a lot of it in high school (1996 - 2000). Spent a ton of money on it then, in fact. We didn't worry about formats back then; we just played whatever. I remember playing people that had 5 color 300 card decks. There were random people who played in town, and my buddy used to set me up matches against them with a good chunk of money on the table. None of them were very good, but he would talk massive shit and get them to pony up money just to protect their ego (he took 20% for doing this). It was probably the most fun I'd ever had playing a game.

I quit sometime after high school when I met my soon-to-be ex-wife. I dumped all my cards for next to nothing, which I still kick myself about. I also played the Microprose games in high school, and sporadically after I quit. I got back into it when I decided to go back to college, and all the kids were playing it. They also played a loose format with anything goes. Some kids played draw 2, play 2 (land) per turn. I remember playing old cards like Lake of the Dead, Demonic Tutor, Dark Ritual, and Counterspell and the kids saying shit like "whoa, I've never seen a Dark Ritual in person before!" I felt like an old man, explaining how Dark Rituals went into EVERY black deck, no matter what or how you were playing.

So, like any other rekindling of an old obsession, I sinked in a ton of money on old cards and built a few decks I used to play with, as well as buying a ton of new stuff to learn how to build a good current deck. I was surprised how convoluted the game got, but it was still fun. I played the Magic 2013 and Magic 2014 apps on my iPad, and bought all the Magic games on Steam. It's fucking retarded they won't put in Planeswalkers but whatever. Mikhail sent me 46 pounds(!!) of old Magic cards that were sitting around a year or two ago. I remember this, because the mailman knocked on my door and asked me if I would come out to the truck and get them.

I haven't played in almost a year. I still have all my cards. I'm not going to sell them like I did some 14 years ago. I have a bunch of decks that I made, plus a bunch of the premade ones that they sell in case somebody wants to play and all I have to do is get them out of the closet. I have MTGO and bought a bunch of cards on there, too. Lots of old ones, like I did with real cards. I haven't played that in awhile, but I don't regret buying them because I can get on whenever and they'll still be there. My only complaint is that the interface doesn't look like it tried to update past 2003. Surely, with all the money that's funneled in to WOTC, they can put some into revamping MTGO. The standalone games (Magic 2011, 2012, etc) look and play beautifully, so it can be done.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I played in DCI for Urza's Type II but I had quit due to the cost. I lost most of my cards in a flood but I still have 5 decks left.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I played a lot in the early/mid 90s, and was completely out of it by the late 90s. I played draft and type 1 in local tournaments over the years. It was a lot of fun I miss it. I doubt I'd understand the game as it is today though. I know a lot has changed.

I have a few cards left in a book from the good old days but I never got around to selling them.

Last edited:

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
I began playing with release of Revised Edition back in 94'.

I stopped playing after WotC began recycling older cards into "new" sets.

I'm looking at you Urza's Saga, Urza's Legacy, and Urza's Destiny.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
I remember when i got out of it in 04, then started seeing older cards like avatar of woe getting re printed. It was pretty lame. But it doesn't really bother me anymore. I'm just having a whole lot of fun drafting, and some fun playing standard with friends. Did any of you guys check out my deck yet?

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I played a lot of it in high school (1996 - 2000). Spent a ton of money on it then, in fact. We didn't worry about formats back then; we just played whatever. I remember playing people that had 5 color 300 card decks. There were random people who played in town, and my buddy used to set me up matches against them with a good chunk of money on the table. None of them were very good, but he would talk massive shit and get them to pony up money just to protect their ego (he took 20% for doing this). It was probably the most fun I'd ever had playing a game.

I quit sometime after high school when I met my soon-to-be ex-wife. I dumped all my cards for next to nothing, which I still kick myself about. I also played the Microprose games in high school, and sporadically after I quit. I got back into it when I decided to go back to college, and all the kids were playing it. They also played a loose format with anything goes. Some kids played draw 2, play 2 (land) per turn. I remember playing old cards like Lake of the Dead, Demonic Tutor, Dark Ritual, and Counterspell and the kids saying shit like "whoa, I've never seen a Dark Ritual in person before!" I felt like an old man, explaining how Dark Rituals went into EVERY black deck, no matter what or how you were playing.

So, like any other rekindling of an old obsession, I sinked in a ton of money on old cards and built a few decks I used to play with, as well as buying a ton of new stuff to learn how to build a good current deck. I was surprised how convoluted the game got, but it was still fun. I played the Magic 2013 and Magic 2014 apps on my iPad, and bought all the Magic games on Steam. It's fucking retarded they won't put in Planeswalkers but whatever. Mikhail sent me 46 pounds(!!) of old Magic cards that were sitting around a year or two ago. I remember this, because the mailman knocked on my door and asked me if I would come out to the truck and get them.

I haven't played in almost a year. I still have all my cards. I'm not going to sell them like I did some 14 years ago. I have a bunch of decks that I made, plus a bunch of the premade ones that they sell in case somebody wants to play and all I have to do is get them out of the closet. I have MTGO and bought a bunch of cards on there, too. Lots of old ones, like I did with real cards. I haven't played that in awhile, but I don't regret buying them because I can get on whenever and they'll still be there. My only complaint is that the interface doesn't look like it tried to update past 2003. Surely, with all the money that's funneled in to WOTC, they can put some into revamping MTGO. The standalone games (Magic 2011, 2012, etc) look and play beautifully, so it can be done.

Hahahaha, that's awesome. People that have never seen a dark ritual before... wow.

You're right, dark ritual makes playing black fucking awesome, and you were stupid not to include them in your deck. On MTGO I had a blue/black deck with these creatures you could pay either mana type to cast, and they were a combination of flyers and unblockables. 4x dark ritual made the deck FAST. I won many games with that deck, I should have never sold off my cards.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
I remember having all the beta moxies in a five-color deck with all the legend set dragons.

Back in the day that deck was worth almost a grand.

I wonder how much it'd be now?

cannonball

15 Year Member
I began playing with release of Revised Edition back in 94'.

I stopped playing after WotC began recycling older cards into "new" sets.

I'm looking at you Urza's Saga, Urza's Legacy, and Urza's Destiny.

I didn't even make it that far. I really hated the expansions they were doing that I just lost interest. The Dark, Homelands, Fallen Empires, Alliances, were just so horrible compared to the sets prior.

I did keep doing draft through mirage/visions/weatherlight though. That was actually fun.

cannonball

15 Year Member
I remember having all the beta moxies in a five-color deck with all the legend set dragons.

Back in the day that deck was worth almost a grand.

I wonder how much it'd be now?

haha I remember trying to make a 4 color deck work once. I had this draw deck using underworld dreams and just tons of card draw. Using ancestral recall and timetwister on your opponent was always fun. Howling mines etc. I'm not sure why I was using 4 colors, but I remember half of the work was cards that got me underworld dreams and cards that kept my opponent from getting rid of it. It wasn't that bad.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I didn't even make it that far. I really hated the expansions they were doing that I just lost interest. The Dark, Homelands, Fallen Empires, Alliances, were just so horrible compared to the sets prior.

I did keep doing draft through mirage/visions/weatherlight though. That was actually fun.

The Dark had to be the worst expansion of all time. Fallen Empires is a close second.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Hahahaha, that's awesome. People that have never seen a dark ritual before... wow.

You're right, dark ritual makes playing black fucking awesome, and you were stupid not to include them in your deck. On MTGO I had a blue/black deck with these creatures you could pay either mana type to cast, and they were a combination of flyers and unblockables. 4x dark ritual made the deck FAST. I won many games with that deck, I should have never sold off my cards.

Counterspell is like Dark Ritual in that regard. It just goes in with any blue deck, and paying 2I to counter anything is just too good. I mean, now they have creatures with "cannot be countered" in their abilities, but those are usually green creatures that cost an arm and a leg. I really liked pulling massive amounts of mana from nowhere with Lake of the Dead + Dark Rituals. Those were great in discard decks, and if you had a Megrim out (Memory Jar is also good to have), you could hit them so hard.

I only have 2 Sinkholes, and I was able to grab them on ebay for $25. I think the guy wanted to create the auction for $25 each, but I nabbed it within the first hour it was put up and luckily he sent them (NM condition, too). I've been sporadically looking for another 2 to complete the set, but people want way more than I want to pay. Sinkholes and Strip Mines FTW.

EDIT - Underworld Dreams was a great card to play on turn 1 with a dark ritual.

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Counterspell is like Dark Ritual in that regard. It just goes in with any blue deck, and paying 2I to counter anything is just too good. I mean, now they have creatures with "cannot be countered" in their abilities, but those are usually green creatures that cost an arm and a leg. I really liked pulling massive amounts of mana from nowhere with Lake of the Dead + Dark Rituals. Those were great in discard decks, and if you had a Megrim out (Memory Jar is also good to have), you could hit them so hard.

I only have 2 Sinkholes, and I was able to grab them on ebay for $25. I think the guy wanted to create the auction for $25 each, but I nabbed it within the first hour it was put up and luckily he sent them (NM condition, too). I've been sporadically looking for another 2 to complete the set, but people want way more than I want to pay. Sinkholes and Strip Mines FTW.

I love discard decks. I like the newer sets that have cards where if your opponent discards they take damage too. I had a nasty deck that did that. If they didn;t die from the damage, they would run out of cards and lose that way. Vicious.

P.S. - I am starting to forget all the names of the cards and what they do. I guess it's been too long since I've played.

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I would run discard decks with artifacts that would allow for massive card draws as well, such as Howling Mine and Font of Mythos. If you have a Megrim or two out (take 2 damage for each card that's discarded), as well as an Underworld Dreams (take 1 damage for each card you draw), your opponent would be pelted into oblivion. Then there's cards like Hypnotic Spectre which deals 2 damage and forces the opponent to discard a card (at random!).

5 color decks are more viable with the newer set of cards.

Evolving Wilds lets you search out for any basic land card you need (I usually use this for a forest, because of the next two cards):

DEE29Vy.jpg

Rampant Growth is also another good card to pull the basic land that you need, in addition to any land you play that turn. So you get the land you need and pull ahead in the mana-gathering department.

zWEzQTq.jpg

Cultivate is a good turn 3 card. It will help you obtain all 5 basic lands you need + give you a large mana pool to use the following turn.

R6M4vnt.jpg

In a 5 color deck, one of those cards or a combination of those cards will usually be drawn at the beginning and will help immensely. By the time you have all the land you need, it's time to start playing cards like:

TxwapvD.jpg

and

VDZOa9m.jpg

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I would run discard decks with artifacts that would allow for massive card draws as well, such as Howling Mine and Font of Mythos. If you have a Megrim or two out (take 2 damage for each card that's discarded), as well as an Underworld Dreams (take 1 damage for each card you draw), your opponent would be pelted into oblivion. Then there's cards like Hypnotic Spectre which deals 2 damage and forces the opponent to discard a card (at random!).

5 color decks are more viable with the newer set of cards.

Evolving Wilds lets you search out for any basic land card you need (I usually use this for a forest, because of the next two cards):

View attachment 11212

Rampant Growth is also another good card to pull the basic land that you need, in addition to any land you play that turn. So you get the land you need and pull ahead in the mana-gathering department.

Ok, Megrim and Underworld dreams were exactly the cards I was thinking about, lol. I'm bad with the names. Yeah, I had hypnotic specters, they're badass. There's some vampires in the newer sets that do the same thing too, iirc. You could easily build an effective deck with this stuff.

And evolving wilds are great for multicolor, glad those cards came around.

Last edited:

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Mana acceleration is def cut down in the current standard format. Also there is no longer mana burn.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Yeah, I remember doing crazy combos with my Lake of the Dead + Dark Ritual, and having a mana left over and saying "fuck, I guess I take one mana burn" and everybody was looking at me with question marks over their heads. That's kind of weird because I remember having a crazy red deck with Mana Flares that would fuck you up if you didn't manage your mana correctly, but the deck itself had x-fireball spells that would always make sure you were covered. Now it would be completely useless today.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Started playing with Revised quit after Homelands. Still have all my cards, including a Minty-Mint Unlimited Black Lotus.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
The game has def shifted to cater to a causal audience more. I still enjoy it a lot

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
I started playing in '94 with Revised, stopped after Mirage. I bought a few random boosters during the Urza's block and put them with the rest of my cards. It wasn't until a couple years ago when Dark Ascension came out I started playing again with a few friends from high school. I didn't like the new art nearly as much as the old and like Wes said, the rules got really convoluted. That said we prefer to play with vintage cards and only dabble in the new stuff, mostly just drafting.

I've built quite a few decks but a few of my favorites are my dragon deck, where the goal is to discard and animate as many big nasty dragons as quick as possible, and it plays pretty well. A Legends deck using all the boss red/green/white cards from Legends, tons of different lands, duals, tri-land, Birds of Paradise, so plenty of mana to get the huge Legends out, very fun to play. Also made a City of Shadows/Merfucker deck, Seasinger, Control Magic to steal the opponents creatures and sac them for mana counters on City of Shadows, also Merfolk Assassin and Fishliver Oil help take out creatures.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
From a thematic standpoint the last couple of blocks have been really, really good - if you're interested in any of the aspects other than actual gameplay.

I only play casually, I don't build powerful combos, and I only make decks that have cohesive themes.

That said the game is a money sink, I only have a passing interest in it, and there are far better games out there in my opinion. You can always find someone to play magic though.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I stopped when I got to college and sold most of my cards. I still have some solid decks though, if anyone wants to buy 'em. One elf deck, one giant creatures deck, and one donate / illusions of grandeur deck if I remember correctly.