best horizontal shmup

tastysoil

New Challenger
I have to agree with the others. My three favorite hori shooters are: Progear, Parodius & Deathsmiles. All are top-notch in my book

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
lords of thunder. nothing else compares. its the only game i really miss since ditching the turbo duo.

Great game, but I think Gate of Thunder is better. GoT might be my favorite horizontal shmup.

supergrafx77

War Room Troll
Bullet hell = Deathsmiles
Old school = Parodius Da
Just my two cents.

Regarding DS, does anyone find the 3 choices on each stage concerning level of difficulty/rank, a bit meh?
IMO, this is the game's flaw. It's a masterpiece otherwise. But this kills the game IMO. Makes it a bit of a bore to me.
Would of been better if the only allowance was to set rank or difficulty in the settings like all other games...

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Regarding DS, does anyone find the 3 choices on each stage concerning level of difficulty/rank, a bit meh?
IMO, this is the game's flaw. It's a masterpiece otherwise. But this kills the game IMO. Makes it a bit of a bore to me.
Would of been better if the only allowance was to set rank or difficulty in the settings like all other games...

I think that's what keeps it accessible to new comers. My GF started getting into shumps 'cause of DS, now she's an ace at ESPGII, DOJ, DFK and of course DS. She also rocks Gunbarich and other quirky shumpeys. Oh yeah also both Mushi games, she also like Guwange, I mean c'mon you don't just find a girl getting into that shenanigans. DS is like Tetris, it's perfect for everyone.

I am glad for DS bringing a new crowd to the table and this "set up your own path/difficulty" I feel has a lot to do with it.

Last edited:

supergrafx77

War Room Troll
I think that's what keeps it accessible to new comers. My GF started getting into shumps 'cause of DS, now she's an ace at ESPGII, DOJ, DFK and of course DS. She also rocks Gunbarich and other quirky shumpeys. Oh yeah also both Mushi games, she also like Guwange, I mean c'mon you don't just find a girl getting into that shenanigans. DS is like Tetris, it's perfect for everyone.

I am glad for DS bringing a new crowd to the table and this "set up your own path/difficulty" I feel has a lot to do with it.
I agree with you EG. It is a perfect entry title to for the novice player to come to appreciate Cave's style of games. But I still dislike the level ranking and think it was an unnecessary addition.
I don't know if it is just me, but setting rank to level 3 doesn't seem to raise the difficulty at all until you get near the end of the game, where the heat seeking bullets pop up.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I agree with you EG. It is a perfect entry title to for the novice player to come to appreciate Cave's style of games. But I still dislike the level ranking and think it was an unnecessary addition.
I don't know if it is just me, but setting rank to level 3 doesn't seem to raise the difficulty at all until you get near the end of the game, where the heat seeking bullets pop up.
I agree to a point, but I find it harder to get the multipliers going on the easier levels, I always do 3, if you start at 3 from the get go you'll get the suicide bullets much sooner. I understand though and I wonder if you can set the PCB at higher difficulty, I have it but never bothered checking...I should.

poodude

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Another vote for deathsmiles and progear. Hard to find anything that comes close to the level of game play and art. I used to play progear in mame for a long time until i was finally able to buy a cps2 copy. Worth every penny. I like that Cave released deathsmiles to the phone even though it's not the ideal platform. It opened it up to a much wider audience who may not have had a console or heard of Cave before.