best horizontal shmup

nork69

Marked Wolf
10 Year Member
Pulstar = hard game but it always do the job
Deathsmiles = nice gothic art and fast gameplay

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I'd probably say Deathsmiles as it's just so easy to pick up and play...
but I really, really love Sexy Parodius because it has objectives to the stages and completing or failing them presents you with different stages and bosses, so it has an amazing amount of replay value. (Gokujou Parodius is all around excellent also, just a bit on the easy side, but great for seeing how far you can get on 1 credit.)

Last edited:

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
I'd probably say Deathsmiles as it's just so easy to pick up and play...
but I really, really love Sexy Parodius because it has objectives to the stages and completing or failing them presents you with different stages and bosses, so it has an amazing amount of replay value. (Gokujou Parodius is all around excellent also, just a bit on the easy side, but great for seeing how far you can get on 1 credit.)

you like Sexy Parodius ? You are the first I know

CaseyTappy

Tung's Hair Stylist
What's not to like about Sexy Parodius ?
Completing the special missions in every level makes it more interesting .

Best Parodius !

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Bullet hell = Deathsmiles
Old school = Parodius Da

Just my two cents.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
12378530144_302bef8826_b.jpg

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
fantasy zone is always fun

Opa-Opa appears as one of the main characters in the World War Blue (Aoi Sekai no Chuushin de) manga and anime. Her name is "Opal" in that, but she's got all the daddy issues of the original game:
Opal_Portrait.png

Last edited:

man9child

Rugal's Thug
Gate of Thunder is the best. Lightening Force is cool, I always liked Lords of Thunder, and I have a soft spot for R-Type 3.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
My favorite hori Shmup is Deathsmiles. I dig the music and who doesnt like a good zombie cow? Honorable mention goes to the NES version of LifeForce...I love that fucking slowdown.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Old School - Gradius III - Played it so much on SNES, I wore the cart out. On my 2nd copy.

Bullet Hell - Progear - Had it on the candy cabs I rocked for a while there and this recieved more play time than anything except maybe X-Men vs. Street Fighter. Never 1CCd it, but I did get to lvl 5 1CC. Maybe I'll try it on ROM.

Not really best, more favorite so moving it to the bottom...
Traditional - Otomedius Excellent - Always liked the Gradius series. Add anime boobs and it's just more of a good thing.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
My favorite hori Shmup is Deathsmiles. I dig the music and who doesnt like a good zombie cow? Honorable mention goes to the NES version of LifeForce...I love that fucking slowdown.

El arte del esquive!

The greatest fun I could have ever had with my brother playing NES was with that game.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Only reason I ever played this version was because of that story! What an awesome game!

That's really cool and it also means a lot to me. Everything of that era NES with the konami logo was pure gold. So many memories.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Lords of Thunder!!!
Jesus! Yes! So fucking awesome! Great hori!

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
it just didn't occur to me that it was an arcade port...

Because there wasn’t. It’s PCE exclusive.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Harmful Park > Sexy Parodius / Parodius series

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
The original discussion was PCBs. I didn't read every post to notice where it went off topic.