best horizontal shmup

boss0033

Kula's Candy
Looking to grab a shmup but have a neo 29 and have no interest in rotating the monitor. What do you recommend for a horizontal shmup. I was thinking about getting deathsmiles...looks cool and has a different theme...is it better than deathsmiles 2??? Will that PCB be a plug in and play on my candy cab

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
If it's a neo 29 I'd think it's wired for MVS instead of Jamma (someone confirm that?) If it's a multi-slot NEO board in there, it's not straight JAMMA wiring.

In that case, you'd need a JAMMA PCB to MVS Cabinet adaptor before JAMMA PCB's will be plug and play.

Blazing star is a fun shmup though :)

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Looking to grab a shmup but have a neo 29 and have no interest in rotating the monitor. What do you recommend for a horizontal shmup. I was thinking about getting deathsmiles...looks cool and has a different theme...is it better than deathsmiles 2??? Will that PCB be a plug in and play on my candy cab

The first Deathsmiles is far and above much better than II. I dislike II alot. What about games that are a little cheaper? A normal Cave PCB sells for around the $300 mark. If you wanted something a little cheaper there are other alternatives. Don't misunderstand though, if you want a DS PCB get one. I wouldn't mind one myself.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
I had to use an adapter to use regular jamma boards in my 4-slot MVS cab. Definitely worth looking into if you want to give it a try. Have you exhausted the MVS library of shmups that interest you?

Looking to grab a shmup but have a neo 29 and have no interest in rotating the monitor.

Are you looking for horizontal shmups specifically, or shmups that play on a horizontal monitor? For jamma horis, yes Deathsmiles 1 is quite good. Progear is pretty popular as well. I'm a huge fan of Air Buster, although I don't think that game has many fans. For verts that just so happen to play on a horizontal screen, Mars Matrix, Giga Wing, and Raystorm are awesome.

boss0033

Kula's Candy
Its a four slot super neo 29 candy...as far as neo titles I have all the shmups. Really just looking to get my first cave one

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Do you have a Xbox360? If so, you could spend around $10 on the Deathsmiles port and see if it's worthwhile.

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
lots of great horizontal shmups on the naomi. get a netboot setup, 1/2 the cost of a cave board and years of fun ahead.

best yoko shmups on naomi: zero gunner 2 , chaos fields , border down, gigawings,

and when you decide you finally rorate your monitor, well shit, you now have Ikaruga, shukigami no shiro II, under defeat, etc, etc...

like Chem said, a xbox360 is a good option too. lots of great shmups were ported to it.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
lots of great horizontal shmups on the naomi. get a netboot setup, 1/2 the cost of a cave board and years of fun ahead.

best yoko shmups on naomi: zero gunner 2 , chaos fields , border down, gigawings,

and when you decide you finally rorate your monitor, well shit, you now have Ikaruga, shukigami no shiro II, under defeat, etc, etc...

like Chem said, a xbox360 is a good option too. lots of great shmups were ported to it.

Solid advice right here.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Yeah, Neo has some good shmups. I really like STRIKERS 1945+ for fun, BLAZING STAR for score, and VIEW POINT a challenge. All great games.

But for CAVE: I like Progear. Just all around cool. Very easy to pickup and get into: Life time to master.

As for non-NEO / Non-Cave stuff: I like CPS1&2 and NAOMI stuff. Whatever looks good and you can get your hands on really. It's all good. Really been digging MARS MATRIX lately. The music and the chaining system are so much fun. Just love it.

geise

Mickey's Coach
If you're already willing to spend the money might I recommend R-Type LEO and Koutetsu Yousai Strahl.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Progear is also my choice. Accessible but challenging.

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
On the Neo:
Blazing Star
Pulstar
Strikers 1945

Cave (also available on Xbox 360)
Deathsmiles and Akai katana (i prefer Akai Katana) are both great,

on the naomi:
ALL horizontal shooters are fun, nothing to say here!

Progear is also fun but tough as nails.

indierocklocks

Geese's Thug

Going to have to agree with this if you are looking for the best bang for the buck. Besides, I think Deathsmiles and Akai Katana are on the weaker side of Cave's line-up. They are still great games though, and if you have a 360--can buy them BOTH for next to nothing to try them out.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
If you get the itch to drop a lot of money, just get another cab. More bang for your buck.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Do you have a Xbox360? If so, you could spend around $10 on the Deathsmiles port and see if it's worthwhile.

I agree, I really don't like Deathsmiles at all. Finding that out with the $10 port was a good thing.

Progear is awesome, probably the best horizontal shmup I've played.

MrRoboto19XX

Rugal's Thug
I've been playing a lot of Deathsmiles lately, so that's certainly a contender in my book. However, Gradius II is a personal favorite of mine and places pretty high in the ranking I'd say.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
R-Type, or naomi. I do like the idea of getting a seperate cab just for shooters, you can rig it up easy enough to rotate the monitor.