Getting good at shmups

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
I can't play shmups at all. I try from time to time, but I quit after a short amount of time because I die die die die die and die again.
How do you guys get good at shmups? My eyes can't whizz all round the screen. Do you focus on yourself, or on the enemies, or the projectiles?

Let's hear your tips n tricks!

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
You aren't missing much, stick with neo-geo games like Karate Men part 4000. They are way better.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
My random tips... A lot of it is repetition and learning what to expect. In bullet heavy scenarios, I focus on the ship just to stay alive. Use power ups, speed ups, add ons and bombs wisely. Start on Easy and work your way up, especially on Neo Geo shmups, most of which are hard as fuck. Do not use cheats - that is weaksauce. Go play some easier shmups first. Don't start out with Neo or arcade ones if you're a noob. Finding a good controller also helps. I can't use joysticks as well as pads, for example. Oh, and caffeine! ;)

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
If I am playing danmaku shmups I focus on the ship primarily

tomwaits

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
Repetition and pattern recognition are the keys for me. Try to memorize enemy locations and bullet patterns at the tricky sections. Focus your shots on taking out the enemies that are most likely to kill you before they even get a chance to shoot.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
My focus shifts between: Overall entire screen (triangulation of incoming projectiles) > top of the screen or other areas where enemies may spawn > directly above and next to ship > score

Focussing directly on the ship is only useful for those absurdly dense patterns:
bRZMAq7.jpg

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Get some of the cave 360 shmups Markell. They have easy modes which are good to start with.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
My focus shifts between: Overall entire screen (triangulation of incoming projectiles) > top of the screen or other areas where enemies may spawn > directly above and next to ship > score

Focussing directly on the ship is only useful for those absurdly dense patterns:
View attachment 11124

This is actually a complete answer and great suggestion. I am overly cautious most of the time because I am not that good myself. Sometimes what is actually a medium pattern for vets looks like that picture to me. I guess I'm often focusing too much on what I think will enhance my survival rather than what will get the best score. It's likely that this in itself is preventing me from getting better, ironically. But all in good time. I enjoy the heck out of trying.

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
From my noob experience, Espgaluda II has one of the easyest "Novice" modes and the game is very good. On top of that, you can choose to step up the difficulty level within the Novice mode, which is great to improve your skills once you feel confortable covering the basics.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Deathsmiles is a great starter game as well. Just about anyone could 1cc it on easy.

GinForBreakfast

Quiz Detective
Memorizing paths is key in certain games as some people already pointed out. Some stages in Viewpoint for instance I've played too many times to confess. Could of probably cut that in half if I weren't half drunk during those sessions but that wouldn't be nearly as fun. :)

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Playing a game on easy mode or avoiding arcade titles won't do anything for developing the basic fundamentals you need.

IMO you need to find a title or two that you actually enjoy first. Once you have a game or two thats fun, the level of repitition and practice necessary will feel like less of a chore (to a degree depending). There isn't anything that esoteric about the genre that sets it apart from any other action game. If you play something enough you will become familiar with the causes and effects.

OP do you credit feed? Stop. If you were to find a title that excites you enough and were to do several one credit runs every day for a few weeks, knowing what kills you and what won't will come naturally.

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
Great tips! Here's what I do when I play shmups:

Going back and forth between seeing your ship and the enemy is one key to success. As mentioned by Chempop, this is definitely a great method, and if there's a complicated pattern, switch over to looking at your ship then. It'll build up skill big time.

In tight situations (like near death), it doesn't hurt to use a bomb or a bomb-type move. It's always nice to know you have one or two bombs while playing, rather than blowing them on situations that don't require it.

One more thing that I could think of; understand how fast the ship moves. It gives you enough of time to react if it's slow, or make you more skilled if there's a tight pattern of bullets coming your way.

indierocklocks

Geese's Thug
OP do you credit feed? Stop. If you were to find a title that excites you enough and were to do several one credit runs every day for a few weeks, knowing what kills you and what won't will come naturally.

I think this is a good tip that doesn't get pushed as hard as say, using save-states. It's essentially creating the same problem--you end up not caring because there isn't anything on the line. You wind up using bombs ineffectively, not killing bullet-cancelling enemies when they need to be...etc etc. Playing with limited credits will force you to memorize, which is a huge aspect of any game.

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Deathsmiles is a great starter game as well. Just about anyone could 1cc it on easy.

Something must be wrong with me,lol. I've read this in a couple of threads before and i simply can't beat the final level, the final boss is a nightmare for me. But i've 1cc a couple Cave shmups before (on novice or Xbox mode Easy).

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
In general, try games until you find one that compels you to get better at it without forcing it. Shmups are not for everyone, you'll make a lot better progress if you enjoy a game rather than banging your head against the "top ten" list of a bunch of nerds. You should get mad when you die and instantly want to start over.

That being said, try a couple things. First, pick a caravan mode or two, like Final Soldier or Soldier Blade, and play the 5 minute mode. Try to figure everything out about the scoring you can. Because these games are so short, you can really max them out with a lot less effort compared to longer games. These will teach you a lot of the skills you need to learn to get better at improving on your own. Second, try some older games like Star Force, R-Type, or Twin Cobra. These games are all enjoyable and can be difficult to start with, but you might find you enjoy this era of games more than some modern stuff. Next, try something like Giga Wing, Dodonpachi, or Espgaluda. These are accessible enough for beginners while still having depth and are a bit more modern. Others are probably more familiar with newer games than me and could recommend some stuff. If you want to get crazy, maybe try Perfect Cherry Blossom. All in all, skip around until you find what you like: hori vs. vert, what companies' styles, what era, etc. Darius II might be a good place to start in the monthly shmup thread here, as well. Ask for some strategies or bring questions to the thread, there's lots of helpful people here.

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Like everyone else said, its recognizing the patterns on the game, and that just comes with practice. I tend to almost never look at my ship in a SHMUP and focus on how enemies attack and their exact locations. whenever you do play one, just be patient, learn from your mistakes, and keep chugging on. eventually, with enough exposure, the reaction time and viewpoint will be second nature

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The real secret is to learn how to evade.

Shooters are just a balance of shooting for points and evading to survive.