kenth333's MVS collection

kenth333

n00b
I don't have all that much yet as I've only been buying arcade stuff since fall 2013, but plan on getting lots more. The cab is a self build as I really wanted a MVS cab but would never have found one in this part of the world. Favourite MVS games so far are Blazing Star and Andro Dunos (in the cab). Windjammers is soooo much fun when I have people over.

2014-01-30-2197.jpg2014-01-30-2199.jpg

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Damn dude, for a self build that's a really nice cab. Did you cut all of it and piece it together?

Evilpoptart

Kula's Candy
Damn impressive if I must say so myself. What did you use for speakers or did you have everything from an MVS cabinet?

kenth333

n00b
Damn impressive if I must say so myself. What did you use for speakers or did you have everything from an MVS cabinet?

I bought standard 10w 8 ohm arcade speakers. I mounted three of them. Center one for mono games and then two hooked up to a small stereo amp for stereo games.
By games I mean arcade pcb:s.

Last edited:

GinForBreakfast

Quiz Detective
A for effort, Virtua Fighter cab looks nice as well. I've spent countless of hours on VFIV with Akira. :)

kenth333

n00b
A for effort, Virtua Fighter cab looks nice as well. I've spent countless of hours on VFIV with Akira. :)

Thanks! It cleaned up ok.
I also plan on getting the boards for at least VF2 and VF4 sometime later on. I'll just have to figure out how to wire the cab up for easy hardware swapping. VF2 should be easy enough but a Naomi 2 might be a little tougher.

SuperForte

n00b
How much did you end up paying for that copy of Windjammers? Great collection of MVS games for sure.

kenth333

n00b
Thanks, but it's nothing compared to most of the other collections on here. They're huge! But I think I'm off to an ok start.

I don't remember Windjammers being that expensive. $70 maybe. Was among the first games I knew I had to get. Right after Metal Slug and any one of the Shock Troopers. I watch a lot of Classic Game Room :lolz:. Actually, I think me doing my build was heavily influenced by them getting their MVS cab.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
wow, you build that MVS cab yourself? It really looks perfect! Care to share some more pictures of it?
How much time/funds did you have to put into it? Really makes me dream about building one myself ^^

kenth333

n00b
wow, you build that MVS cab yourself? It really looks perfect! Care to share some more pictures of it?
How much time/funds did you have to put into it? Really makes me dream about building one myself ^^

It's far from perfect and has some small imperfections with paint and vinyl placement that I'd still like to correct at some point. It took me two months from starting the build to when it was fully painted, but still missing things like t-molding and vinyl. I took a small gaming brake at that point (couple of weeks). I work a dayjob 8,5 hours a day mon-fri and building the cab was done on evenings and weekends.

Regarding cost wood was 100€, screws 15€, paint 50€, acrylic/plexi was 65€, cpo 50€, marquee laminate 30€ and the tv was 10€. Then you need t-molding, a power supply, wires and connectors, speakers, hinges, locks, sticks and buttons. No single thing really cost all that much but it does add up to quite a lot. I also had to buy all the tools like router (+bits), electric saw and an electric screwdriver to name a few. All in I think it came close to 1k€ (with all the tools). TBH it would propably be better just to buy one.

But the experience was great and I really like my finished cab.
Here's a pretty random set of pics I pulled off my phone http://www.flickr.com/photos/108735003@N05/sets/72157640423904295/.

kenth333

n00b
I also bought a circular saw for about 50€ and the battery powered screwdriver cost about 100€. Couting all the drillbits, woodclamps + all the rest, tools were probably about 400€. That would make the cabs cost at something just below 600€.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
wow, thanks for the extra info+pics! It really is a work of love, well thought out too. Quite impressing what you've done here. I bet you picked up dozens of useful skills along the way - and to think you build this in your living room, cool as hell.

yeah, I can see how it would cost (almost) as much as buying a used one, still the experience is priceless ^^

kenth333

n00b
Dropped out for a bit but now back! Nice to meet all of you again!

Buying mvs lead to buying boards lead to buying cabs lead to poverty and no space. My 1-slot also broke and just didn't get a new one, so stuck to consoles for some time. Now a new 1-slot board with cart incoming. Samurai Showdown IV :drool:

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Great cab and really well built. Do you have any latches to keep the cp in place? Also, have you used metal on the cp at all? Can't tell from your pics.

kenth333

n00b
Great cab and really well built. Do you have any latches to keep the cp in place? Also, have you used metal on the cp at all? Can't tell from your pics.

I tried building it as close to real Neo Geo cab as possible but didn't feel comfortable doing any metal work. Would today though if I did it again. The cp is hinged at the base and has a metal rail at the top, where it meets the plexi. Has the one large latch to keep it secured.

Took and uploaded some pics: https://flic.kr/s/aHskF6w6Jz

Think I'll start cleaning things up on this now too, as some things left unfinished. When first building this tried sourcing those MVS credit counter boards but couldn't find them anywhere. Think I'll add some led-boards to display text or pixel image on the cp credit windows. First comes metal coin boxes, for that specific coin drop sound, and some leg levelers. Also needs a new marquee light.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Thanks for the pictures!!! And one of the best custom built cabs I have seen.

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Thats a clean looking cab. Theres something nice about a big meaty Neo cab thats just clean and just works. Would love to have one myself! That or a big blue.

kenth333

n00b
Thats a clean looking cab. Theres something nice about a big meaty Neo cab thats just clean and just works. Would love to have one myself! That or a big blue.

Thanks. Just worked on it a little more recently with adding the 'System' side vinyl and cleaning up the marquee lighting. Should be getting a new working 1-slot tomorrow and get to playing some MVS games again.

Had to look up what you meant with big blue and found some restorations and builds in that color. There weren't any official blue Neo cabs were there? Other than the blue and white Asian model? While I much prefer the cab in red, looks awesome in blue also.

44010857605_563f86c92e_z.jpg 43111274590_bcd2bce92a_z.jpg 44250748634_9b9bdeea2e_z.jpg

Last edited: