Art of Fighting Source Code Found

ne7

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
I quickly looked thru it and found a couple of cool things:

1) the entire encoding table for japanese text - you could use this to make a 16bit table file to make translations easier; especially if the file in question was a standard include for many games... :)
+
2) some mention of the neogeo keyboard, I think it's actually there as a possible controller option -perhaps hitting keys on this was a way to get into a debug menu in some of the games (I've found debug menu text in all sorts of neo games like the World Heroes series that don't seem to have a method of access thru debug dips)

Anyway - it's pretty cool, perhaps someone can add in the timeout animations that were missing for all characters :) http://tcrf.net/Art_of_Fighting_(Neo_Geo)

Missile

Another Striker
Ah ok, a lot harder to interpret. Shadowkn Do you know if there's any source-code on the internet for doing raster-effects on Neo Geo? I'd like to learn about that in detail.

Missile

Another Striker
I *think* I know the theory. You trigger interrupts at certain pixel positions which then change VRAM values like the x position of a particular sprites. If you do that each screen line with a sin/cos value, you can get a wavy effect for example, but I wanted to know if there was any source code showing an example? Always much easier when you are new if can play around with some example code first.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Oh wow, this is a very cool find. Even in an incomplete state, this gives some pretty amazing insight into early Neo Geo game development. There may also be some logic here that can be ripped and applied to other basic fighting games, and for the indie/home brew crowd, this is a great little nugget. Downloading now!

Newsdee

Rugal's Thug
Did anything ever came out of this? Has anybody been able to use the code in a project?