Hearthstone

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Priests are a lot of fun, especially if you have those clerics out. You can draw cards so fast. I'm fiddling around with a Shadow Priest deck. The amount of direct damage you can pull off is pretty crazy with them, especially if you have Prophet Velen out (7/7 - double the damage and healing of your spells and hero spell), and some minions that have +1 spell power.

If you're solely grinding dailies to buy cards with gold, then it's going to take a long time (I'm talking years and years and years) to get all the cards. That's really my only complaint about the game --you should be able to go through more than just two or three quests a day, which only yields you a pack or two daily. Sure, you can go to the arena, but you have to pay for that privilege and it's a crapshoot what cards you will pull. I heard that they plan on implementing an adventure mode for one-player questing which will yield more gold, faster, but until that happens it will be a slow, slow grind for people who don't want to pay real money.

I don't mind paying real money. I bought two of the $50 set packs today. Having more cards not only means more decks, but more versatile decks. I also makes grinding those dailies that much more fun and less monotonous. The real selling point is that when this game is finished, it's going to be cross-platform, which means I'll be able to play it on my iPad, against my buddies on the PC. This game was made for playing on tablets.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
i'll drop a few bucks in here and there

would love to spend more but being financially responsible is something i want to get better at and spending money on virtual cards wouldn't help me achieve that

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Just pulled out my first legendary card out of a pack (with gold as I refuse to pay $ for this). It was a deathwing. It's a really cheap card lol.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Deathwing is a high risk card. When you drop it, you effectively deplete all of your mana and discard everything else (as well as all your minions dying), leaving you with nothing but that. There are too many cards that can deal with it, like Assassinate, Sap, Shadow Ward: Death, Mind Control, Humility, Equality, Hunter's Mark, Naturalize, Hex, Corruption, etc..You'd be better off with probably anything else. There's nothing more frustrating than having Deathwing Hex'd for 3.

Fox1

20 Year Member
Deathwing is a high risk card. When you drop it, you effectively deplete all of your mana and discard everything else (as well as all your minions dying), leaving you with nothing but that. There are too many cards that can deal with it, like Assassinate, Sap, Shadow Ward: Death, Mind Control, Humility, Equality, Hunter's Mark, Naturalize, Hex, Corruption, etc..You'd be better off with probably anything else. There's nothing more frustrating than having Deathwing Hex'd for 3.

Well before I use it I make sure they've used their *Instant Death* things...which is usually (90% of the time) on my 6/5 taunt guys. By the 10th mana turn they've usually used all of them.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I spent a few real dollars last night just because I wanted that gold legendary card they give you. I'm really loving this game but yeah, it seems like it will take forever to build the card library just using gold.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Well before I use it I make sure they've used their *Instant Death* things...which is usually (90% of the time) on my 6/5 taunt guys. By the 10th mana turn they've usually used all of them.

That's a very specific scenario to throw it down. By the time you're able to play Deathwing, your opponent has also drawn far into their deck, and are probably holding onto high casting-cost cards that would deal with him in some way. It just seems illogical to even have it waste a space in your deck when you can use other cards that actually work well together. It probably wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to discard your whole hand to play it, but even then a 12/12 creature, for all your mana, with no other special abilities other than clearing the board on battlecry, just seems so weak.

Now Questing Adventurer...Now there's a card. 40/40 on a turn 6? Yes, please:

r8WoEJu.jpg

Fox1

20 Year Member
That's a very specific scenario to throw it down. By the time you're able to play Deathwing, your opponent has also drawn far into their deck, and are probably holding onto high casting-cost cards that would deal with him in some way. It just seems illogical to even have it waste a space in your deck when you can use other cards that actually work well together. It probably wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to discard your whole hand to play it, but even then a 12/12 creature, for all your mana, with no other special abilities other than clearing the board on battlecry, just seems so weak.

Now Questing Adventurer...Now there's a card. 40/40 on a turn 6? Yes, please:

It's actually saved me on a few occasions ever since I got it 2 days ago. I would have 2 cards... that and some random magic spell or some minion that wouldn't change the outcome + my opponent has cleared all my minions, while having like 6 on the board and I've come back all those occasions to win. Yes it is a last resort, but that last resort is the difference between defeat and winning.

As for that 40/40..wtf was that guy doing, just ending his turn every time without doing anything?

Edit: Also, with those kinds of building up cards..they are much easier to kill than most cards as silencing, humility, and any of the instant death cards can kill it quite easily. Also since it costs 3, you are introducing it around the time all the characters can use the instant death cards which I'm sure they would on that first.

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
It's actually saved me on a few occasions ever since I got it 2 days ago. I would have 2 cards... that and some random magic spell or some minion that wouldn't change the outcome + my opponent has cleared all my minions, while having like 6 on the board and I've come back all those occasions to win. Yes it is a last resort, but that last resort is the difference between defeat and winning.

It's hilarious how easy I've been able to take care of Deathwing on the rare chance he's popped up. He's not a very popular card, for the reasons that I've dealt with him so easily. I mean, if you're drawing from a limited pool of cards, then Deathwing might be appealing, but there's even commons and rares that would have a higher chance of benefiting your situation. Deathwing is a literal last-chance card. You are putting all of your eggs in that basket. It's just not worth it when he provides virtually no guarantees. He doesn't even have charge.

As for that 40/40..wtf was that guy doing, just ending his turn every time without doing anything?

It took me two turns to get him to 40/40. One to drop/buff him, another to buff + double his health twice and then drop a card to have his attack match his health. Questing Adventurer is a pretty versatile card. For 3 mana, you're dropping a minion on the board that forces your opponent to deal with before it gets out of hand, and it doesn't take long for him to get out of hand, and by playing cards you normally would play. Letting him live for even one turn can be extremely dangerous, and he can attack by then.

Edit: Also, with those kinds of building up cards..they are much easier to kill than most cards as silencing, humility, and any of the instant death cards can kill it quite easily. Also since it costs 3, you are introducing it around the time all the characters can use the instant death cards which I'm sure they would on that first.

That's the beautiful thing about Questing Adventurer --you're not putting all your eggs in his basket. He's only 3 mana, but you can save him for later in the game when you're holding a handful of cards that are 0, 1, and 2 mana cost. In my rogue deck, I like to drop him later in the game, buff the shit out of him, and then drop a Vancleef (+2/+2 for each card you've played before dropping him), and then put stealth across them both. I'll usually attack with Vancleef first and buff Questing Adventurer for a round or two before he has a chance to get a guaranteed attack while being extremely buffed.

There are tons of strategies revolving around these cards. There really isn't with Deathwing.

Anyway, I crafted Nat Pagle earlier today, and I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner. For 2 mana, he's a 0/4 who gives a 50% chance to draw a card at the end of your turn. I put him in practically every deck I make now, and I've had really good success. Most people don't bother to chip at him, if they have 4 damage they'd rather hit my hero or another minion, and he's not worth an instant kill to them. He's pretty deceptive in that people think that since he's not doing any damage, he's not a threat. If I throw him out on turn two (or turn one with magic coin), he's usually alive for most, if not all of the game, drawing cards like a mother fucker. I fucking love him.

And Leeroy Jenkins, too. For 4 mana you get a 6/2 minion with charge, that summons two 1/1 minions for the opponent. Every situation I've been in with him I've gotten the 6 damage when dropping him (or else I don't drop him). If he survives a round, his value immediately doubles (even if you only take out another minion). Fucking fantastic card.

cannonball

15 Year Member
I played a few rounds of hearthstone last night on my iPad using an app called splashtop. I was amazed how well it worked. It basically lets you access your PC desktop remotely and turns it into a touch interface for handheld devices (android and apple). I can't imagine playing on an iphone screen, but it was perfect on the iPad.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I've read about that. What gen iPad do you have? I've read mixed results and assumed it would probably run like shit on my iPad 2

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Made a video of a Warlock deck I'm tweaking. This is why card synergy is so important. I got a shitty opening hand, and replaced it with cards that were equally shitty to open with. I was getting my ass thoroughly handed to me in the first half of the match, but I always forced my opponent to react to certain cards and left him holding very little. Just about every card works well with each other, and for different reasons. You need to have a wide variety of options at your disposal for any given situation (this was mainly directed at fox1). Deathwing has no place in a deck like this when I can have lesser cards that will work in more situations, and better.

cannonball

15 Year Member
I've read about that. What gen iPad do you have? I've read mixed results and assumed it would probably run like shit on my iPad 2

I believe my iPad is a 1st or 2nd gen. I know I was unable to update to the latest OS that came out. It was a hand me down so I'm not sure. There are some quirks to it, especially when selecting a target for a card effect from say a battlecry I had some trouble but did get it to work, but all in all it actually works really well. For a $5 app there wasn't much to lose I guess.

I haven't had a chance to watch your warlock video yet, but I know exactly what you mean about leaving yourself multiple options through both card synergy and using cards that require your opponent to use at *least* 1 card to get rid of. You probably don't need to read the guides on reddit/r/hearthstone because you seem to know your shit, but they were pretty interesting to me none the less.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I'll have to try that out. Regardless, I can't wait for the official app.

I'll have to check the reddit section out. I love watching videos and seeing different strategies, and having the person explain them. There's so much stuff to do in this game. Right now I'm fiddling around with a Shaman/Murloc deck. Bloodlust with a full board feels so good.

cannonball

15 Year Member
I'll have to try that out. Regardless, I can't wait for the official app.

I'll have to check the reddit section out. I love watching videos and seeing different strategies, and having the person explain them. There's so much stuff to do in this game. Right now I'm fiddling around with a Shaman/Murloc deck. Bloodlust with a full board feels so good.

Yeah I'm really excited for the official app. I'm really enjoying warlock right now, but I just don't have the cards to make a competitive deck yet. It's hard enough just grinding gold to do arenas. How did you amass such a huge library so fast? Or did you play during the closed beta as well?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
how much money are people dumping into this?

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
A lot of dailies. Did some arena. I did buy 2 of the $50 packs. I disenchant a lot too. The more cards you get the more you will start disenchanting because you'll have the max allowed for each card.

Hilarious moment yesterday: my buddy had a knife juggler out and I dropped a Leeroy Jenkins which summoned 2 whelp for him, which let him immediately kill Leeroy and keep the whelps. We were both laughing so hard. I was under the impression that YOU had to summon creatures in order for that to proc, not if somebody summoned a creature for you.

Oh well, still learning, lol

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
A lot of dailies. Did some arena. I did buy 2 of the $50 packs. I disenchant a lot too. The more cards you get the more you will start disenchanting because you'll have the max allowed for each card.

Hilarious moment yesterday: my buddy had a knife juggler out and I dropped a Leeroy Jenkins which summoned 2 whelp for him, which let him immediately kill Leeroy and keep the whelps. We were both laughing so hard. I was under the impression that YOU had to summon creatures in order for that to proc, not if somebody summoned a creature for you.

Oh well, still learning, lol

I'm gonna add you tonight. I've got a pretty boss mage and I'm currently ntly working on a heal specific card combo priest. I've bought 2 50 dollar packs as well. games awesome.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Cool, my GT is wespaul#1183

Anybody else feel free to add me if you wanna quick game or two.

Right now I'm trying to find my deck. I think I have a pretty good Warlock deck. I'm messing around with a Shaman/Murloc deck, too. I'm probably experimenting around with too much instead of just trying to focus on one deck and tweak it as much as possible, but that's half the fun.

vagabond

NEST Puppet
Made a video of a Warlock deck I'm tweaking. This is why card synergy is so important. I got a shitty opening hand, and replaced it with cards that were equally shitty to open with. I was getting my ass thoroughly handed to me in the first half of the match, but I always forced my opponent to react to certain cards and left him holding very little. Just about every card works well with each other, and for different reasons. You need to have a wide variety of options at your disposal for any given situation (this was mainly directed at fox1). Deathwing has no place in a deck like this when I can have lesser cards that will work in more situations, and better.

I hate to be that guy, but it's not like the quality of your cards wasn't leaps and bounds over his. Rag, Cairne, Sylvanas, Pagle vs. Tauren Warrior and TWO Shield Bearers? Yeah, I'm pretty sure you could have just fapped during the first four turns and still won handily.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I hate to be that guy, but that was kind of the point I was making. I was illustrating how cards work together and how to use them in different strategic situations. I got a shitty opening hand, and even when I finally did start dropping creatures, he cleared the board with a Brawl. I was trying to show an example of card synergy. And if he wasn't going to die after I buffed Bloodhoof with Power overwhelming (twice), I could've still worked a combo with Void Terror absorbing that huge atk/hp, while Bloodhoof's death rattle summoned another one.

The whole point was that any of those cards are better than Deathwing.

cannonball

15 Year Member
You guys been playing arena mode? I can't figure out how the damn draft works because I've done 5 arenas so far and only once did they offer me a legendary card, yet I play against people with multiple legendaries. Just absolutely horrible card choices every time. My best run has been 3-3.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I think I've played arena twice, and I got shit cards both times. I also think my best run was 3-3.