Monster Monpiece getting PSN release internationally BUT...

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Monster Monpiece, a card battle RPG is getting a Western release on PSN, but there is a catch, a good amount of cards have been altered/removed in some form due to some of the cards being deemed too sexual in nature...

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...heads-to-north-america-and-europe-this-spring

I would be a little more upset over yet another censored game, but the digital release of this title already made it purchase non grata for me (plus I have a JP account on my system).

Which seems like a two strikes and your out for the audience this game would target in the first place...

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Requires rubbing on the PSVita? Sounds like this other title saner was harping on...

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
I'm almost tempted to import the JP physical release and then play it in public, just so I can protest multiple things at once.

I kind of did something similar with Doki Doki Majo Shinpan.

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
The Queen's Blade PSP games have a feature specifically intended to be used to avoid public embarrassment. By pressing start+select you cover the display with a mockup of a generic Dragon Quest-like JRPG.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
The Queen's Blade PSP games have a feature specifically intended to be used to avoid public embarrassment. By pressing start+select you cover the display with a mockup of a generic Dragon Quest-like JRPG.

Thats amazing,lol

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
I was planning to pay for this in cash, but if its censored not so much... meaning not going to buy it at all.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I'm surprised that Saner hasn't made a thread on this game yet.

You mean the greatest, most amazing, deepest and most varied card game of all time?

If you disagree, it just means you like other card games more.

As for this game, I am always initially disappointed to see the content get censored. That's just a knee jerk reactino I have because I support the creative process as a general rule of thumb.

Once I think about it, however, I understand why they do it, and that it's a really slippery slope western developers are navigating even bringing content over with some of those visuals.

It's easy to say 'they know who they're marketing to, why change it' but the problem is that the people they market to won't be the most vocal percentage about the game's content. It will be the objectors.

Look at what happened with Dragon's Crown. the game is awesome, everyone knows it. Before it even came out, people were getting salty about the hypersexualized artwork. And even to this day, well after the fact and we all know it was much ado about nothing, it still carries that stigma. When I'm talking about video games with people, at game stores or when hanging out with pals or even online, some asshole invariably starts talking about the boobs in a purely negative context because, you know, boobs in video games.

So I get why they edit games like this. The west just isn't of a mindset to unconditionally accept this kind of stuff. I don't know that they ever will. I can't even say whether or not they should develop a mindset that is more accepting. That's not my call.

I truly believe it's got to be a case by case basis, and not just a blanket acceptance or denial of the content. Dragon's Crown is a vastly different beast from the SNK witch touching game, after all. Those distinctions need to be drawn, rather than grousing about how eastern games with sexualized content are generally 'good' or 'bad.'

Last edited:

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
You mean the greatest, most amazing, deepest and most varied card game of all time?

If you disagree, it just means you like other card games more.

As for this game, I am always initially disappointed to see the content get censored. That's just a knee jerk reactino I have because I support the creative process as a general rule of thumb.

Once I think about it, however, I understand why they do it, and that it's a really slippery slope western developers are navigating even bringing content over with some of those visuals.

It's easy to say 'they know who they're marketing to, why change it' but the problem is that the people they market to won't be the most vocal percentage about the game's content. It will be the objectors.

Look at what happened with Dragon's Crown. the game is awesome, everyone knows it. Before it even came out, people were getting salty about the hypersexualized artwork. And even to this day, well after the fact and we all know it was much ado about nothing, it still carries that stigma. When I'm talking about video games with people, at game stores or when hanging out with pals or even online, some asshole invariably starts talking about the boobs in a purely negative context because, you know, boobs in video games.

So I get why they edit games like this. The west just isn't of a mindset to unconditionally accept this kind of stuff. I don't know that they ever will. I can't even say whether or not they should develop a mindset that is more accepting. That's not my call.

I truly believe it's got to be a case by case basis, and not just a blanket acceptance or denial of the content. Dragon's Crown is a vastly different beast from the SNK witch touching game, after all. Those distinctions need to be drawn, rather than grousing about how eastern games with sexualized content are generally 'good' or 'bad.'

Maybe I'm too much of an optimist, but I've always believed in the impact of detractors like that having more of a Married with Children type effect on the marketplace.

http://marriedwithchildren.wikia.com/wiki/Rakolta_Boycott

You can release the sexualized content and you may have some negative backlash at first but A) most of these people aren't your marketplace in the first place so why listen and B) that attention will bring in those that would be interested but are unaware and will purchase just to see what the fuss is all about. Dragon's Crown as of December had sold 800k units worldwide. Without all the extra free press about the number of clitoral circumcisions releasing this game was the equivalent of, you can't help but think this helped such a niche title reach those heights. Most of the detractors tend to get an eye roll from the average commentor as well.

It's stuff like this that makes me wish I was an eccentric billionaire, I'd open a video game company that pulls over these more otaku games and just laugh when some guy is writing an article saying how these games are the equivalent of stabbing women with a katana in the uterus.

Will it ever go away in the West (especially in the USA), probably not. I blame our originally puritanical roots in this country. We may be far away from those original roots especially as we have become a melting pot, but there seems to be a contingent of poorly dressed white people with nothing better to do willing to try and remove sex from everything.

I will say, if they are pulling more loli-type content (can't seem to find anything showing WHAT cards were removed, just the names of those removed) I can understand why they would have removed the cards. That's one thing that the controversy probably would sink the game if it became a big topic of discussion.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
If they do get increased sales, I'd imagine most of that would be going to importers of the uncensored Japanese version.