The Sony Playstation (1995) Appreciation Thread

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
This thread was born out of this other thread, which went from being about vaporware to the N64, and tangentially the Playstation. I put this post together quickly using information from various websites, including Wikipedia. Not that I think that you guys would do anything else, but please speak up if something is incorrect or should be added.

Please post your memories, experiences, etc with the great Sony Playstation!

----------

PSX-Console-wController.jpg

The Sony Playstation was a 32-bit console released in the United States on September 9, 1995 for $299. As it was part of the first generation of consoles to come without a pack-in game, a demo disc was included instead. The console game bundled with one controller and a set of A/V cables. On top of playing Playstation game discs, the system also the ability to play audio CDs. As many who grew up playing Atari, Nintendo, and Super Nintendo/Genesis were now in their 20s and beyond, the Playstation, which marketed itself towards an older audience, was wildly successful, selling in excess of 100 million units.

Launch

At launch, the following games were available here in the US:

launch_games.jpg

Air Combat - A flight combat game originally released into the arcades in 1992 and ported to the Playstation for launch. The game was the genesis of the "Ace Combat" series which spawned 2 sequels on the Playstation, plus many more across other platforms. A solid game that would have been a recommended purchase on launch day.

Battle Arena Toshinden - Possibly the most talked-about game in the run-up to the launch of the system, BAT was one of the earliest polygonal 3D fighting games. The game was very well received by critics and gamers alike, and sold very well early in the Playstation's life, but has not aged well. Like Ace Combat, this game also spawned a number of sequels.

Kileak: The DNA Imperative - A Doom-like "corridor" shooter which has mostly been forgotten by the sands of time.

NBA Jam Tournament Edition - An arcade-style 2-on-2 basketball game that was extremely popular in the arcades. At launch NBA Jam was the only game that supported the Multi-Tap accessory (see below).

Ridge Racer - An arcade-style racing game that was first released into the arcades in 1993, Ridge Racer spawned a franchise that became a staple on the Playstation.

Street Fighter: The Movie - Based on the 1994 live-action movie starring Jean-Clause Van Damme, SF:™ uses the Super Street Fighter II Turbo engine and overlays digitized graphics to make the game look more movie-like. The game was generally poorly-reviewed and is considered a low-point in the franchise.

Total Eclipse: Turbo - A third-person perspective rail shooter, TE:T was ported over from the 3DO.

The Raiden Project - Depending on who you ask, this was or wasn't available on launch day. The Raiden Project was the only home-console release of Raiden II, and also included the original Raiden.

Power Serve Tennis - A forgotten 3D tennis game.

Noteworthy Accessories

PSX-Original-Controller.jpg

Playstation Controller - The original controller launched with the system. A then industry-high 10 input buttons, plus a d-pad.

PSX-Memory-Card.jpg

Memory Card - Unlike cartridge-based media, there is no way to store game save data on a CD. Instead of going with internal save memory (as the Sega Saturn did), Sony chose to utilize inexpensive memory cards. This allowed players to buy as many as needed as game libraries grew, and allowed for easy transport of game save data over to a friend's house.

Ps1linkcable.jpg

Link Cable - With this cable two systems could be linked together for 2-player play (which of course necessitated 2 televisions. Compatible games included the Armored Core series, the Bushido Blade series, Ridge Racer Type 4, Wipeout, and many more.

PlayStation_Mouse.jpg

Mouse - A two-button mouse that could be used with a number of games for which such a sontrol scheme would be preferable. Compatible titles included A-Train, Command & Conquer, Myst, Sim City 2000, Tempest 2000, and the X-Com series.

PlayStation-Multitap-Adaptor.jpg

Multi-Tap - This peripheral had 4 controller ports and 4 memory card ports, and plugged into a single port on the Playstation console, allowing for multiplayer play beyond the 2-player mode possible with a stock Playstation.

PlayStation-Analog-Joystick.jpg

Analog Joystick - A large, dual-stick flightstick released in 1996, and was functionally made obsolete by the dual analog controller. Compatible with games such as Ace Combat 2 & 3, the Descent series, Mechwarrior 2, and Wing Commander 4, among many others.

800px-PS1DualAnalogController.jpg

Dual Analog Controller - Released in 1997, the dual analog controller was the direct predecessor to the dual shock. The controller was larger than both the original controller and the dual shock, and included two thumb-sized joysticks which could be used in analog or digital mode. The primary difference between the two controllers is the lack of a "rumble" feature. Also unlike the dual shock, the sticks on the dual analog controller are concave instead of convex, and are not rubberized. This controller is much less common and is therefore somewhat sought-after, especially by those with large hands.

PSX-DualShock-Controller.jpg

Dual Shock Controller - The final revision of the Playstation controller, the basic design of this controller (with obvious upgrades) is still the stock input device used on modern Playstation consoles.

Namco_Arcade_Stick.jpg

Namco Arcade Stick - An 8-button arcade stick released by Namco, this controller has a Japanese arcade-feel, using Hori components. Fairly sought-after, this is considered by most to have been the highest-quality arcade stick released for the Playstation.

guncon.jpg

Namco GunCon - The de-facto "official" light gun controller for the Playstation. Compatible with games including the Time Crisis series, the Point Blank series, Elemental Gearbolt, and Gunfighter: The Legend of Jesse James.

Namco_Negcon_centred.jpg

Namco NeGcon - One of the most unique controllers released for the Playstation, the NegCon had a pivot point in the middle of the controller, so that the player could twist it in either direction. The name (pronounced "neh-jee-con") comes from Japanese "nejiru" which means "to twist". This controller was used in racing games and the twisting action was used as a steering mechanic. The controller also featured 2 analog buttons so that the player could vary the use of brakes and acceleration. This game is most famously compatible with the Wipeout series (for which it is best suited), but is also compatible with the Ridge Racer series and the Gran Turismo series.

ascii-grip.jpg

ASCII Grip - A one-handed controller best-suited for playing RPGs and other games where timing is not an issue.

Noteworthy Publications

official_playstation_magazine.jpg

Official U.S. Playstation Magazine - Published from 1997-2007. Each month's issue came bundled with a demo disc.

PSM_issue_1.jpg

PSM: 100% Independent Playstation Magazine - The only magazine published in the United States that was both independent and 100% dedicated to the playstation. Early issues often came bundled with stickers for both memory cards and the playstation disc drive lid. When Official U.S. Playstation magazine folded in 2007, PSM became "Playstation: The Official Magazine" until it was cancelled in 2012.

nextgen.jpg

Next Generation - Published from 1995 until 2002, and later shortened to "Next Gen". Arguably aimed at a more mature audience.

gamefan.jpg

Diehard Gamefan - Published from 1992-2000. Later shortened to "GameFan". Known for it's extensive use of screenshots, it is a little-known fact that co-founder Tim Lindquist invented a means of capturing RGB screens of games so that it was no longer necessary to point a camera at a TV screen. This of course meant that for a time, screenshots in GameFan were of much higher quality than it's competitors.

Noteworthy Games & Franchises

Ace Combat (series)
Breath of Fire III & IV
Bushido Blade (series)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Colony Wars (series)
Cool Boarders (series)
Crash Bandicoot (series)
Dragon Warrior VII
Einhander
Fear Effect (series)
Final Fantasy (series)
Gran Turismo (series)
Harvest Moon: Back to Nature
Hot Shots Golf (series)
Intelligent Qube
Medal of Honor (series)
Mega Man (series)
Metal Gear Solid
Parappa the Rapper
Resident Evil (series)
Ridge Racer (series)
Silent Hill
Soul Blade
Street Fighter Alpha (series)
Syphon Filter (series)
Tekken (series)
Tenchu (series)
Tomb Raider (series)
Tony Hawk Pro Skater (series)
Wipeout (series)

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
First contact with the system involved Tomb Raider, RE, Wipeout, Formula 1 '97, Tekken 2 and various official demo disks. I remember being very impressed with Tekken 2's intro.

Last edited:

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
First contact with the system involved Tomb Raider, RE, Wipeout, Formula 1 '97 and various official demo disks.

I expressed a lot of my fond memories with the original PSX and FFVII & PSM in the last thread. The games I got when I got mine were:

Tekken
Battle Arena Toshinden
Road Rash

I can't remember some of the other games. I remember renting this shitty City of Lost Children game, and we had this other weird adventure game but I don't know what it was called. My dad returned it the next day. My dad also bought Tomb Raider for sexual purposes for both PSX and PC.

Oh and how could I forget the demo disks? I had this:
demo_int_demo_v3c_fr.jpg

Included Tekken 2 (which I played like FUCK), the original Crash Bandicoot, Formula 1, and some others I can't remember very well. I had a later sampler disc where I enjoyed Tomba!, Tekken 3, and Metal Gear Solid (I think, unless I'm thinking of a Pizza Hut disk)

Last edited:

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I really like the PSX because it made me love my Neo even more each time I've tried one of its crappy Neo ports.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Seriously?

yeah he was a horny bastard. I think he bought and rebought it a couple times/different sequels. He was trying to justify the purchase and we both ultimately decided that we hated the game and it played like shit.

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
Appreciation threads? Have we stooped to becoming Hardcore Gaming 101 already?

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I had friends that had PlayStations for a long time, but finally made the plunge when the PSOne was out. bought that and Final Fantasy Tactics as my first game, and I've been a huge fan ever since

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
I remember getting one as a surprise for my first TV. Gex and Battle Arena Toshinden were the beginning titles, as well as the awesomeness of Crash Bandicoot, and Tobal No. 1. Since then, I loved collecting games for the system. The system is definitely worth keeping around

Craziest moment: I got so pissed at Toshinden, I bit the disc, and never played it again. You can still see the bite marks, and it would stop playing music around the 3rd or 4th stage.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
The thing that really gets me about the Pikachu version N64 was that they made one end of the console longer to fit a giant plastic Pikachu. I mean...was that really necessary?

Now, the Gold N64. That was hot shit.

A friend had one, and I'd go over to game on some Goldeneye, and we would just stare for a few minutes first.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Craziest moment: I got so pissed at Toshinden, I bit the disc, and never played it again. You can still see the bite marks, and it would stop playing music around the 3rd or 4th stage.

Wow. Never in my most heated gaming-related temper tantrums did it even occur to me to bite the game. My signature move (which I only did back in the NES days) was to whip the controller around by the wire and smash it into our fireplace. Fucking things are built like tanks though, so although I did put some small dents in them, they never did break.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Wow. Never in my most heated gaming-related temper tantrums did it even occur to me to bite the game. My signature move (which I only did back in the NES days) was to whip the controller around by the wire and smash it into our fireplace. Fucking things are built like tanks though, so although I did put some small dents in them, they never did break.
i used to get pissed at Tekken and just smash my head and hands against the controller and smash it against the floor. Still have the original controllers that I did this to and they work perfectly.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
Square had Psx on lock back in the day. Xenogears, Legend of Mana, Brave Fencer Mushasi, Parasite eve and Bushido Blade just to name all the non Final Fantasy games.

Golden Era of Rpgs.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Appreciation threads? Have we stooped to becoming Hardcore Gaming 101 already?

Why the fuck are you even on these boards? Your tastes suck, you never have anything interesting to say, and now you want to shit on a thread that will spark an actual discussion? Seriously: Fuck off.

To expand upon my post in the other thread:

I remember initially seeing pictures of the system before it was released, and thinking it was something similar to the CDi. The controller didn't look intuitive for games (at least to my eyes). You have to remember there were so many shitty consoles coming out around that time that had controllers that made you wonder what they were smoking. But, to be fair, people were still experimenting in this era. I do remember looking at the split dpad and wondering how the hell you would play any fighting game.

Seeing the screen shots for Street Fighter Alpha blew my mind, though. I was so used to watered down 16bit ports, that seeing something that looked arcade perfect and the idea of it being in my home blew my mind (I never had a Neo Geo as a teenager). I rented the system with Street Fighter Alpha in the beginning of '96, and I don't think I left my room for a week. I'm pretty sure I blew off school during that time, too. I didn't have to put in quarters and got to play an arcade game whenever the fuck I wanted. The loading didn't bother me, either. Small price to pay for beautiful graphics and crystal clear audio.

But it overheated like a motherfucker. Sometimes it wouldn't even turn on. This pissed me off beyond belief. I don't think I rented it again, but I remember that initial impression that it was awesome as shit. I was still hardcore SNES, so it didn't matter much. A couple years later my sister randomly surprised me with a Playstation. To this day, I have no idea why she did this or how she even knew to think to get me one. She got me Tekken 2 with it. My first purchase was Street Fighter Alpha 2 that weekend. God damn, I was a kid in a candy store. I quickly picked up the KOF 95 port, and was a PSX fanboy until the new millennium.

Great system. It had the fighters I loved, amazing RPGs (Suikoden, motherfucker), and even had quirky fun platformers like Crash Bandicoot. If I had to pick the top three consoles released in the 90s, it would be the SNES, Neo Geo, and Playstation. What a lineup.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Square had Psx on lock back in the day. Xenogears, Legend of Mana, Brave Fencer Mushasi, Parasite eve and Bushido Blade just to name all the non Final Fantasy games.

Golden Era of Rpgs.

Man I loved Brave Fencer Musashi but never got past the one part where you have to deactivate the power plant thing within a certain time, and this highlighted my inability to perform jumps at all in the game. Rage quit it about 3 times before I said "fuck it" on the game. Maybe another round I'll get it...maybe

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I remember seeing the PS1 at a local Blockbuster near launch. By fall 1995 (I was 18 at the time) my need to play the damn thing grew so bad, I convinced my good buddies mom to plop down her credit card in order for us to rent it (blockbuster would only rent one with a CC # deposit, blockbuster was the only rental place in the area that had one, no one in my family had a CC). We rented Ridge Racer, Wipeout and some other FPS title.

The FPS was shovelware, Ridge a Racer was awesome...but Wipeout blew my mind.

The music in the game, the mechanics, the speed...I clearly remember thinking to myself "this is the future of gaming".

I would rent it one time summer of 1996...patiently waiting for the N64 to come in Spetember and hand Sony their ass and show us all what the future of gaming really was.

Sept of '96 came and went...I bought a N64 at launch as well as Mario 64. I was embarrassed for Nintendo, pissed with my purchase and decided end of 1996 to right a wrong. I returned the N64 and picked up a Playstation.

That was one of the best gaming decisions I ever made.

I proceeded to beat that system like it owed me money. The fun I/my wife/my friends had with that system actually mirrored the time I spent playing the SNES from the summer of 1992 when I bought one, until 1996, when the PS1 took its place as my premiere home gaming system.

Easily one of the best gaming systems ever made in my opinion. It hasn't aged well as in much of its library looks pretty shitty anymore so it doesn't get the time my other older systems do...but in its prime, it was amazing. LONG LIVE THE PS1!!!

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
some favorites:

bushido blade was such a great take on the fighting genre. 1 hit kills and crippling added some realism to that kind of game.

einhander was an amazing little shooter.

the lunar remakes really had the whole package put together for an immersive experience even when not playing the game with all the bundled in goodies.

i still have a crazy soft spot for demolition derby.

the king of platforming is still Symphony of the night.

marktheshark

Morden's Lackey
Unlike pretty much everybody here, I didn't even start getting PS1 games until 2008 (I was 14 at the time). Until then, the only PS1 games that I played were Gunfighter & Metal Gear Solid. I have a dozen or so games for the system now & already the library is really good so far. Better late than never I suppose.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member

I remember getting one as a surprise for my first TV. Gex and Battle Arena Toshinden were the beginning titles, as well as the awesomeness of Crash Bandicoot, and Tobal No. 1. Since then, I loved collecting games for the system. The system is definitely worth keeping around

I used to bite into my SNES pads out of frustration. Nowadays I just smash into my keyboard with both hands.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
For my friend's birthday his parents rented him a PSX with Tekken, Wipeout and Destruction Derby.

We played Tekken all night. We didn't really figure out how to play the game properly or with any skill, but the graphics were mind blowing at the time. I loved Kazuya and thought he looked bad ass.

So many good memories .. my first game was Tobal No.1. I loved the hell out of that game and got VERY good at it. It was easy to be good at a game that no one else owned.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I remember my PS1 days well.

Like all the summers since I was 12, the summer of '98 was the one when I got the PSX. My parents needed the money for bills and such, so my Mom promised that when they could pay me back, we'd go get a Playstation. When the time came, they had enough for the system and a game, and although everyone was going gaga for FFVII at the time, I opted for FF Tactics as my first game. I couldn't get a memory card for 2 weeks (next pay), so I replayed the opening chapter about a dozen times, and when I beat that game, every character on the roster was level 99. I got FFVII, BoF 3, and Grandia later, but it was Xenogears that locked the system as an RPG juggernaut for me; that's still my favorite game to this day.
Besides RPGs, I was floored by MMX4, the Tenchu games, Harvest Moon, and freaked out by RE, while Gran Turismo offered so much for those with a passion for the automobile.

It was a great system, and still is really. I still play PS1 games often enough that it is still more relevant to me than some newer consoles.

This is a great thread idea :D

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner

Yeah, I definitely went overboard with that one! I think I cranked up the difficulty, because I wanted to get better. I played Toshinden on the PS3, and the music doesn't skip like it used to...I guess that it's a better laser to read the game.

Another frustrating moment- the Dungeon Mode in Tobal No. 1. My god, I would be working it over a few hours (and I just wanted to see how far I could get), and the constant falling down in the pits and hits of the spikes would make me rage so terribly.

I used to bite into my SNES pads out of frustration. Nowadays I just smash into my keyboard with both hands.

Yeah, I grew out of biting and started to toss, punch, and spike my controllers out of frustration. I spiked my Droid Razr through the nine circles of Hell, and destroyed it. I tried crushing my controllers back in the day too, as far as raging.