PLEASE HELP: FAULTY NEO GEO MAGIC KEY MVS CONVERTER

tomlee80

Kabuki Klasher
So I purchased this converter back in August and now it's resetting on me with all MVS games. Getting slightly further on some and not at all on others.

I'd literally just purchased KOF 2002 and had been playing it for about two hours before switching the Neo off. When I came back to play it a hour later the converter wouldn't play any games!

Please help me as this was a private purchase, so I want to ensure that I have tried EVERYTHING before spending another £200+ on another MVS converter.

Please See My Video below For Further Guidance:

YouTube Description:

I purchased Neo Team's Neo Geo Magic Key MVS Converter in September. It played the following MVS games with no issues until yesterday:

Metal Slug
Super Sidekicks 2
Ultimate 11

All were original MVS carts as far as I'm aware.
Yesterday I bought an played King Of Fighters 2002 for the first time. No issues.
I played for about 2 hours then took a break. When I came back and powered my Neo Geo back up it wouldn't play any of the MVS Carts. It just kept resetting.

I suspect that maybe KOF 2002 put too much strain on the power adapter so I've ordered a new one.

- Neo Is An Early Japanese 5v Model With No Modifications and No Unibios.
- Neo Still Plays All AES Games I Own.
- I've Tried Re-Installing Neo Team's Bios ON Magic Key. No Change.
- I've Ordered A Replacement 5v Power Supply And Will Update This When I Try It.

I appreciate it is very likely that my MVS Magic Key is faulty and I need to buy a new one. This was a private sale with no warranty so I don't expect a refund from the person who sold it to me...

However If Neo Team Would Like To Replace My Magic Key Free Of Charge I Will Happily Send My Faulty Converter Back For Them To Analyse The Fault...As There May Be More Out There!

Last edited:

tomlee80

Kabuki Klasher
Update: I've tried a new AC Adaptor and I'm getting the same results. Anybody else had a Neo Team Converter go wrong on them like this?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Have you tried disassembling the MVS adapter and looking for some damage to solder points or other obvious problem? maybe there is some problem with the contacts and that's why it works some time before resetting.

Regards.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Have you cleaned your slots on the system and on the converter?

tomlee80

Kabuki Klasher
Have you tried disassembling the MVS adapter and looking for some damage to solder points or other obvious problem? maybe there is some problem with the contacts and that's why it works some time before resetting.

Regards.

This will be my last resort if cleaning the slots doesn't work. Although the adapter should be able to come apart quite easily, ,when it comes to soldering stuff I have no experience or a soldering iron - so should be interesting if I need to resort to that.

Thanks for your advice.

tomlee80

Kabuki Klasher
You need contact cleaner like Deoxit-D5.

Thanks for the advice.

Wow that's quite pricey stuff over here in old blighty, £20 a can!

I'll try the isopropyl spray, and failing that I'll add this to my "to-do" list.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
This will be my last resort if cleaning the slots doesn't work. Although the adapter should be able to come apart quite easily, ,when it comes to soldering stuff I have no experience or a soldering iron - so should be interesting if I need to resort to that.

Thanks for your advice.

If you have no experience with a soldering iron, you better do not try dissassembling it at all. Soldering inside this thing is not for the inexperienced. If cleaning it does not solve the issue, I would recommend you to contact the seller or the neoflash people and ask if they can offer you some warranty.

Regards.

tomlee80

Kabuki Klasher
OK Latest Update is that I cleaned the contacts and it made no difference. Then I decided to re-install the V2 Magic Key BIOS again (This is the third time, with no change last time I did it). When I tried Super Sidekicks 2 after the re-install I was amazed to see it get past the Neoflash region select screen, then into the game intro up till the point where I selected which country group I wanted. At that point the game reset again back to the Neo Flash screen. I went through the process and this time selected a different country group and it got to the start of the game. Ran with the ball for three seconds then the same thing.

As a reminder note. Before the reinstall, none of my MVS games got past the Neo Geo intro jingle.

What's interesting is that the game will reset at exactly the same point depending on which action I take, so choosing Europe A in the options causes the system reset, while ASIA A takes me to the game for about 3 seconds. The other games all show the similar improvement of allowing me further into the game (Metal Slug will only boot if I hold down the magic key bypass button, but then played for 3/4 of the first level before restarting).

I've used exactly the same BIOS update files from Neo Flash's site to reinstall the BIOS each time. After reinstalling the BIOS for the forth time the results are exactly the same. I'm sure something has corrupted in the converters storage or at worst one of the solders has gone bad inside the unit.Their doesn't seem to be the equivalent of a "Format" or "Repair" with the converters software, although I can see Neo Team have it for some of their other devices. I was wondering if somehow I can Format then re-install the Bios from scratch.

In terms of warranty that would be my first point of call I'd take. I've already contacted the Neoflash website with no response as of yet and the purchase was from a private seller who has been very helpful in offering me advise on how to solve this but unfortunately has no other converters to replace mine with left.

Last edited:

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Hi mate, I've been having problems with the same converter and I've been trying to register on the neo flash team forums, but I can't even get past the not a bot verification stage... Have you had any more news from them yet or have they just left you hanging?

tomlee80

Kabuki Klasher
Hi mate, I've been having problems with the same converter and I've been trying to register on the neo flash team forums, but I can't even get past the not a bot verification stage... Have you had any more news from them yet or have they just left you hanging?

Nothing to report StevenK. To be honest, as I bought the converter privately, I'm expecting them to not be interested in providing a replacement.

Thinking I might just cut my losses and offer the converter up for sale as parts/not working. Think I could get £100 for a duff one?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Nothing to report StevenK. To be honest, as I bought the converter privately, I'm expecting them to not be interested in providing a replacement.

Thinking I might just cut my losses and offer the converter up for sale as parts/not working. Think I could get £100 for a duff one?

yea maybe you're right, I wouldn't hold out for them offering you a refund or replacement. I'd be happy to take them up on a repair service offer if they had one though, I've looked around the site and can't seem to find the anything about that, maybe worth asking? By the way, how did you do the bios update, do you have a link to a guide or anything like that I could try? Thanks for any ideas!

tomlee80

Kabuki Klasher
yea maybe you're right, I wouldn't hold out for them offering you a refund or replacement. I'd be happy to take them up on a repair service offer if they had one though, I've looked around the site and can't seem to find the anything about that, maybe worth asking? By the way, how did you do the bios update, do you have a link to a guide or anything like that I could try? Thanks for any ideas!

You need to dowload the bios here:

http://unibios.free.fr/download/MagicKeyV2.zip

then follow the instructions. Hope this helps you out!