Alien: Isolation

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
First impressions after 30min in (no alien encounter yet): This game scares the shit out of me. Amanda's face is so ugly. I'm not sure I can finish the game.

I felt this way when first playing, too. And like you, I was already filled with tension before the Alien even showed up.

I felt as though the game's intensity was too much and I was questioning whether or not it was worth putting myself through.

I realized that I had to see it through. I figured that if the game was affecting me that much, then it was doing what it was supposed to and this was a rare gaming experience for me.

I didn't regret playing through for one second. See it through. There are so many milestones in this game, so many points where you feel you accomplished something in a gaming sense, and the game has so much to offer. You'll be glad you went through this.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
That first shot of her when she takes the welding mask off is pretty bad. Can't figure out how in the hell CA thought that was a good promo pic to use, too.

Most of the characters look pretty weird. Try the Crew Expendable mission and tell me that Ellen doesn't look like, well, some kind of weird Sigourney Weaver freak thing.

When I found the big wrench and met that bald faggot with a gun, they zoomed on Amanda's face for about 5 sec.

Oh Man, that fucking face... It really creeps me out. No need for the alien, Amanda is doing a pretty good job already.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Since it's my day off, I decided to just play it through. Definitely one of the best games of all time. Not saying that it had a spectacular story line, but the way it was all put together was fantastic. If you're a fan of the series or just looking for an intense survival game, this is for you.

I'm not sure how to do the 'spoiler' thing, so.....

I'm surprised they didn't show a queen anywhere(or have you encounter one)... considering all the "eggs".
Also, I'm pretty sure she got impregnated after her capture. At the end when she's drifting through space, it's obvious a ship has found her... which then means possible sequel.

What do you guys think?

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
To do a spoiler tag, just do this:

[spoiler ]yourtexthere[/spoiler ]

But don't put spaces between the 'r' and the end bracket on the tags.

Anyway, my thoughts about your thoughts:

Spoiler:
I don't believe she's impregnated. There was no dead facehugger at her feet or anywhere else nearby after that scene. In fact, the egg in front of her was still closed.

Those are just idle speculations. No one can really know.

Also:

Spoiler:
The lack of an Alien queen doesn't surprise me at all. That was something from the second movie, and the game was trying to encompass the essence of the first film and the lurking horror that could come out of the shadows anywhere at ay time. Also, the Alien queen doesn't jump out of shadows or lurk. I think that because the game was trying to duplicate the feel of the first film, having a giant monstrosity chasing after you, or even just being there, wouldn't have felt right. One of things that makes the Alien so scary is its human dimension and it's ability to hunt in the same places we all walk and go to. The queen wouldn't have been able to do that. In fact, it probably would have ruined the entire game for me if she'd have made an appearance. So glad they didn't do it. Not saying it would have made it worse in an objective sense. Just saying it's not for me.

I AM surprised, however, at the use of some of the 2nd film's mythology. I really thought they were going to stick to the first film for all of their material. I'm glad they used a tiny bit of it but mostly used the first film for its inspiration.

Last edited:

Big Al

Rugal's Thug
Great game! Such a feeling of tension and what is going to happen. Never really felt that from a game before, maybe some moments in the first resident evil because that was so unique at the time, a game that scared you.

giggsy07

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Great game! Such a feeling of tension and what is going to happen. Never really felt that from a game before, maybe some moments in the first resident evil because that was so unique at the time, a game that scared you.
You playing the pc version Al?

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I finally got this on steam. So awesome! If you're even a passing fan of the Alien films you will have a blast with this game.

PC gamers might want to upgrade their graphics drivers. It seems to pitch a fit and crash or cause gsods depending on your gpu. I had to update my vbios and use the latest amd drivers to even play the thing. Totally worth it.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Either I don't get this game, or it's terrible.

I spent most of my three hours playing it looking up in FAQs and on Youtube how to do specific things. The part where you had to press a button on some small wheeled drone thing so you could climb inside a tube when you could have just jumped over some other debris (if the game had a jump button) was amazingly obtuse. If you weren't looking right at the drone thing's button, you would nave never gotten the prompt to hit it.

There was a rather hidden door in the next level that made my life miserable. Doors don't stand out enough, color-wise. I had to watch another Youtube video to find this door.

Now I'm up to this part where you've got the wrench, and there are a half dozen people with guns trying to kill you. There's no stealth mechanic like in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, so taking just one person out with the wrench is extremely difficult. You can dash back to the area you came from and pick off one of them there. He walks there alone. After you do that, you find out that you can't pick up his revolver. :thevt: You do pick up spare ammo, but you're stuck with the wrench. I then tried a few times to take out the rest of the people and failed. I suspected that I should have been going in the direction of this one particular door, but I wasn't sure. Still, I decided to look up a video on Youtube showing how to progress. The person essentially exploited the spawning and ran very close to the door so he would be in a good position to get to the door before everyone else moved into position to stop you.

I hate how you've got to look up how to do little things and then use exploits to progress when you could have just picked up the damn revolver in the first place.

As far as I can tell, the only good thing about me getting this game is that it's apparent that I don't need to upgrade my CPU (and, in turn, my motherboard and possibly other components) to play PC ports of PS4/Xbone games. It runs smooth as butter. In fact, the prerendered cutscenes appear to run worse than actual gameplay.

I think I'm going to uninstall it. I heard so much about how it's the Alien game that the franchise always deserved and how it's worth paying full price for it, and while I did get it on last Monday's Steam sale, I went all-in with the DLC. What a waste of money.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Alpha, no disrespect but you just aren't good at this game and your frustration is showing in your post.

On my first playthrough, I never had to look at an FAQ or get help in any way to advance. It wasn't always easy and sometimes I had to explore the area and learn how to navigate it to get through but I did it sans FAQs or video guides. I DID eventually go to the FAQs to get all the collectibles and some help with a few of the trophies but that's it.

Again, no disrespect to you personally. You just don't sound like a patient or good enough player at this game.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Well, I also watched the movie for the first time and didn't like it that much, so maybe I just don't like Alien. I don't know why I keep on playing these games. The Capcom brawler was okay. The Jaguar game was extremely disappointing. The 2000 game was meh. The Sega AvP was meh. Colonial Marines was meh.

GeePM

Armored Scrum Object
Honestly this felt like the first 'real' genuine horror game for me in a while. The whole aesthetic of the movie is entirely there. The "retro-future" kinda vibe. I love that the Alien's AI will actually learn from how you play, and use it against you.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Been on the fence about grabbing this watched several video's of it looked ok but still... Some of you seem to enjoy it so might pick this up soon see how I like it.

Last edited:

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Well, I also watched the movie for the first time and didn't like it that much, so maybe I just don't like Alien. I don't know why I keep on playing these games. The Capcom brawler was okay. The Jaguar game was extremely disappointing. The 2000 game was meh. The Sega AvP was meh. Colonial Marines was meh.

That's the thing -- this game is meant for fans of the first Alien movie. The game is even better if you've rewatched it recently.

The game can be very frustrating, but that's why it's also very rewarding when you manage to progress. Don't try to take on the whole game at once, just go chapter by chapter. Also, what difficulty are you playing on? I played through the whole thing on normal, but I will admit there were a few times when I considered lowering the difficulty to easy. If it's too frustrating on normal, try lowering the difficulty to easy and you may enjoy the game more.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Don't expect this game to be like other first person games. Go in blind, if you know what's going to happen you've already ruined the experience. Play on hard. (unless you suck at games and don't like good film making like Alpha here)

If you don't appreciate scary stuff or the Alien franchise then all the great stuff packed in this game will be lost on you.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Well, I also watched the movie for the first time and didn't like it that much

I... don't know what to say...

Lol j/k personal tastes and all that. Personally, I would count the first one as brilliant, and the second as also very good, but in an entirely different way.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Has anyone had a problem with slow loading and and severe area pop in. Like a whole areas are being loaded chunk by chunk. I don't know how to describe it.

Also the game keeps reacting in weird ways like sometimes i'll get to a vent and its all good. It'll open no problem then other times it takes a while for the game to realize whats happening.

What just happened for me is I was running from an android and I got the vent and tried to open it and it was just not happening. I had a good 10 seconds of trying to get it open and the game just wouldn't respond so I ended up getting killed. Is it my PS3, a dirty disc, or is this just how this game operates.

Its really frustrating.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Has anyone had a problem with slow loading and and severe area pop in. Like a whole areas are being loaded chunk by chunk. I don't know how to describe it.

Also the game keeps reacting in weird ways like sometimes i'll get to a vent and its all good. It'll open no problem then other times it takes a while for the game to realize whats happening.

What just happened for me is I was running from an android and I got the vent and tried to open it and it was just not happening. I had a good 10 seconds of trying to get it open and the game just wouldn't respond so I ended up getting killed. Is it my PS3, a dirty disc, or is this just how this game operates.

Its really frustrating.

Unfortunately it sounds like it's because you're on a last gen system. I didn't have any issues like that on PC and I haven't heard of anything like that on the ps4/xbone.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
I had an issue after updating Nvidia drivers with the game would freeze when traveling from one area of the ship to another. I had to roll back the drivers, and it started working again. Now I'm hesitant to update the drivers for fear that they're going to break the game again.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
So the new update adds novice and nightmare modes. They made up some nifty posters for them. I'm gonna try out nightmare mode and see how quickly I get my ass handed to me. lol, broken motion tracker.

http://www.alienisolation.com/news/...ightmare-difficulty-level-posters-to-download

I didn't grab the season pass as I wasn't sure how good the DLC would be. Anyone who snagged them have any opinions to share? Worth the extra cost?