Alien: Isolation

Setsuna1982

World Her,
So pretty much this gameplay video is what an Alien game should be

The question is... Colonial Marines also looked spectacular in trailers... will Sega, being Sega, learn from their mistakes?

Heath

, cheyne stoking
Surely they aren't going to put a £54.99 price tag on this shit

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Creative Assembly is working on this, and have stated that they have a commitment to making a differrent Alien game than anything we've seen before. So at the very least, we aren't getting yet ANOTHER tired colonial marine FPS. I really think they need to put the idea of the Aliens themed FPS out to pasture for a whle. The genre in general is just tired and for this franchise in particular, there hasn't been a good one in a while. It's good to see them attempting a different type of game for the franchise this time out.

They've promised that this isn't a shooter but first person survival horror, there's only one alien and a small group of NPCs to interact with. The Alien supposedly has independent AI, there are no scripted on rails sequences and there are no true 'safe zones', but you can hide under stuff and behind things to avoid detection. The alien apparently hunts by sight, smell and sound.

If this game lives up to billing, I will be so thrilled.

The Witcher 3 was my most anticipated game of 2014 until this.

On a side note as it concerns the Alien franchise, I thought Aliens: Infestation for NDS was pretty damn good for what it was.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
It would be nice to see a video of the game that doesn't include two assholes talking the whole fucking time.

It's like watching a Let's Play. :hammer:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
It would be nice to see a video of the game that doesn't include two assholes talking the whole fucking time.

It's like watching a Let's Play. :hammer:

You really want to see gameplay?

Because I'd rather not see anything else.

I want to be surprised this time out. Play the game with some apprehension of what's to come. I know everything I need to know until launch right now.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
People are calling this a sci-fi Amnesia, but let's not forget that Frictional is already doing a sci-fi horror game.

T.A.P.

15 Year Member
You really want to see gameplay?

Because I'd rather not see anything else.

You really want to blind buy a game?

Because I'd rather not waste money on another shitty one.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
You really want to blind buy a game?

Because I'd rather not waste money on another shitty one.

I never watched a single gameplay video of the final product for Aliens: Colonial Marines to find out through credible sources that it wasn't worth purchasing at launch.

A few weeks before the game is released, the reviews for Alien: Isolation will come from respectable sources. And you can cherry pick the spoiler free ones that don't show you any of the gameplay.

This is a survival horror game. There are bound to be spoiler free reviews.

But one thing I DON'T want to see is more of the environments and gameplay. If the general concensus is 'it's good, go get it and play it', then I will go get it and play it without having to see the gameplay months and months in advance.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Bump

I noticed the preorder for this is available on PSN. The problem is the $60 price tag. I thought this was going to be a $25 or $30 indie title, not a full retail priced release. I may just watch a lets play or wait for a price drop on this one.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Game is $60, I heard if you don't preorder to get the included DLC characters. You have to buy the DLC like Ripley.

Ripley is a main character, why in the fuck is it paid DLC?

leepantalone

Pm'ing Rot. Always a Risk.,
Looking forward to this for a long time. No weapons and a realistic (as realistic as an alien game can be) scenario. I don't like horror games, but this one is a must have. I haven't looked forward to a game in a while....

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet

Because in this one rare instance, Ripley isn't the main character. You play as her daughter in this game, which is supposed to take place between the first and second movies. I could be wrong, but I think the Ripley DLC largely recreates the events in the first Alien flick. Also, money.

All said, I want to like this game, I really do! It looks like exactly what I want a new Alien game to be. But as was said, So did Colon Marines before that actually came out, and Colon Marines was an experience you never forget. Granted, I only paid 5 bucks for it on a steam sale, and I can say I definitely got 5 bucks worth of laughter from that trainwreck, I would have been livid if I paid full price for it. So once again, I'll wait for the jury verdict and more research before I even consider buying this one.

Last edited:

cannonball

15 Year Member
Game is $60, I heard if you don't preorder to get the included DLC characters. You have to buy the DLC like Ripley.

ain't that some scumbaggery. I wouldn't support that if I were you guys. There's no reason to preorder.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Because in this one rare instance, Ripley isn't the main character. You play as her daughter in this game, which is supposed to take place between the first and second movies. I could be wrong, but I think the Ripley DLC largely recreates the events in the first Alien flick.

"Crew Expendable - additional DLC missions starring the original cast from the Ridley Scott film"

Meh, still for $50(360/PS3) $60(PS4/XB1) should be included. Just the typical BS nowadays.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
"Crew Expendable - additional DLC missions starring the original cast from the Ridley Scott film"

Meh, still for $50(360/PS3) $60(PS4/XB1) should be included. Just the typical BS nowadays.

10000% agreed! Another reason I'm waiting to buy. That's even IF I buy. I don't like supporting this kind of purchase shennanigans.

Last edited:

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Universal complaints appear to be that the campaign is too long (15-20 hours), the story is lacking, and that dying comes too easily and too often. But the positives are that the atmosphere and general feeling of tension are on point and they deliver.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Universal complaints appear to be that the campaign is too long (15-20 hours), the story is lacking, and that dying comes too easily and too often. But the positives are that the atmosphere and general feeling of tension are on point and they deliver.

Wow, if someone isn't complaining about a game being short, someone is complaining that's it's too long. It's like every reviewer nowadays in Nick Rox.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I really want this game to be good. It looks like they've captured the atmosphere from the original alien. 15-20 hours sounds like a decent campaign length to me and I'm not afraid of the game being hard. Fuck the pussies.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
It looks pretty cool. From the extended game play trailers I watched I'm interested. I was really disappointed with Colonial Marines but this game shows promise. I'm probably gonna wait and get it around Christmas when I get a PS4

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
So, I've been playing this for the better part of today. My impressions about 4-5 hours in (not including all the backtracking and death resets.)

It's pretty awesome. Excellent tension, PERFECT audio effects and the visuals are great.

I normally love survival horror games but this one is really intense. If you are a person that likes survival horror for the tension and fear elements, this is definitely one to pick up.

It's one of those games people say you should play with the lights off and with nothing else going on in the room. It needs to be quiet and dark so you can allow the visual and audio stimuli of the experience to sink their claws in.

The game has a wonderful balance of fast pace and methodical stealth. If you run too fast and draw too much attention, the alien will hear you. If you move too slow, you're giving it plenty of time to hunt you. Also, if you use the same hiding spots too often, it will learn and find you anyway. You won't always be able to hide somewhere and wait for it to leave. It seems that once it's on to you, there is no way to avoid it until you leave that zone. It's activity doesn't feel scripted except for its first appearance, which is triggered when you interact with a certain computer to complete an objective. Other than that, it feels very organic and random.

This game does not hold your hand. Other than the occasional message on the display telling you how a control works, you get nothing. This is an absolute virtue and should be praised.

There are other adversaries as well, and most of them can't be reasoned with. Other survivors, looters and even primitive androids called Working Joes that are supposed to work the computers and handle the administration responsibilities are also out there, and it seens they've been repurposed to keep you from going to places where their master doesn't want you.

So far, the only caveats I have are that the framerate during the cutscenes is very choppy, as though the game is loading the next stage at the same time and for some reason, my PS4 (!) can't handle all that activity at once. It's a pretty inexcusable shortcoming for the game, but it's only one small aspect of an otherwise great experience.

My other quibble is the use of Amanda Ripley as the protagonist. Look, I like Ellen Ripley just fine and she was great in the first three flicks, but playing as her daughter and finding yourself in almost the exact same situation as in the first movie has a very 'small galaxy' feel to it. What's next, you find out that she eventually had a baby that will one day turn out to be Carter Burke's mother? Did she create C-3PO?

I don't hate Amanda. She's a pretty cool protagonist so far (Anita Sarkeesian should play this game and, oh yeah, remember that ELLEN RIPLEY was the heroine in all four Alien films). And I suppose there is some cache associated with hearing the name 'Ripley' spoken through the course of the game, and I'm presuming this is why they chose her. Again, just another minor flaw that lends a slight bit of incredulity to the whole thing.

Overall, however, my complaints to this point are very minor and haven't really detracted from the experience as a whole.

If you love Alien, if you love first person stealth, if you love horror, get the game. Either now or during a sale. But do yourself a favor if you are fan of any of these things and find a way to play it.

Last edited:

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
So, I've been playing this for the better part of today. My impressions about 4-5 hours in (not including all the backtracking and death resets.)

It's pretty awesome. Excellent tension, PERFECT audio effects and the visuals are great.

I normally love survival horror games but this one is really intense. If you are a person that likes survival horror for the tension and fear elements, this is definitely one to pick up.

It's one of those games people say you should play with the lights off and with nothing else going on in the room. It needs to be quiet and dark so you can allow the visual and audio stimuli of the experience to sink their claws in.

The game has a wonderful balance of fast pace and methodical stealth. If you run too fast and draw too much attention, the alien will hear you. If you move too slow, you're giving it plenty of time to hunt you. Also, if you use the same hiding spots too often, it will learn and find you anyway. You won't always be able to hide somewhere and wait for it to leave. It seems that once it's on to you, there is no way to avoid it until you leave that zone. It's activity doesn't feel scripted except for its first appearance, which is triggered when you interact with a certain computer to complete an objective. Other than that, it feels very organic and random.

This game does not hold your hand. Other than the occasional message on the display telling you how a control works, you get nothing. This is an absolute virtue and should be praised.

There are other adversaries as well, and most of them can't be reasoned with. Other survivors, looters and even primitive androids called Working Joes that are supposed to work the computers and handle the administration responsibilities are also out there, and it seens they've been repurposed to keep you from going to places where their master doesn't want you.

So far, the only caveats I have are that the framerate during the cutscenes is very choppy, as though the game is loading the next stage at the same time and for some reason, my PS4 (!) can't handle all that activity at once. It's a pretty inexcusable shortcoming for the game, but it's only one small aspect of an otherwise great experience.

My other quibble is the use of Amanda Ripley as the protagonist. Look, I like Ellen Ripley just fine and she was great in the first three flicks, but playing as her daughter and finding yourself in almost the exact same situation as in the first movie has a very 'small galaxy' feel to it. What's next, you find out that she eventually had a baby that will one day turn out to be Carter Burke's mother? Did she create C-3PO?

I don't hate Amanda. She's a pretty cool protagonist so far (Anita Sarkeesian should play this game and, oh yeah, remember that ELLEN RIPLEY was the heroine in all four Alien films). And I suppose there is some cache associated with hearing the name 'Ripley' spoken through the course of the game, and I'm presuming this is why they chose her. Again, just another minor flaw that lends a slight bit of incredulity to the whole thing.

Overall, however, my complaints to this point are very minor and haven't really detracted from the experience as a whole.

If you love Alien, if you love first person stealth, if you love horror, get the game. Either now or during a sale. But do yourself a favor if you are fan of any of these things and find a way to play it.

343de795dddb951ab89d8e9849457e6b0fa990b932c164f64dd4cec827d87f34.jpg

Finally a good Alien game :buttrock: