Batman (Arcade, 2013)

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
That's right, no subtitle. It's a new arcade driving game from Specular Interactive, the original devs of Hydro Thunder (and its 2009 spiritual sequel, H2Overdrive). Flew under my radar until I saw it in the wild today.

http://www.specular.com/Zeus/index.htm

I've given it a few credits and can provide my impressions. Speaking as someone who really liked Hydro Thunder and Specular's other games, it's pretty disappointing.

It's not a racing game, but an open-world Twisted Metal kinda deal (you have permanent machine guns by default), where you get objectives to take out enemy cars or drive through waypoints on the map. You can even turn a 180 on the spot by swerving and braking. I appreciated that they included almost every major Batmobile design, from Adam West up through Dark Knight Rises, but they're all exactly the same, with no differences in weapons or handling. The action is satisfying, like Burnout with guns, but the problem that nearly killed the whole experience for me is that IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO AVOID BEING HIT.

You get a caution indicator when something's about to shoot you and take a point off your health, but I haven't found a way to do anything about it other than disengaging and going after a different enemy, in which case I just run out of time. Swerving around everywhere doesn't help at all, and your guns aren't strong enough to destroy targets before they shoot you, even with perfect accuracy. You can pick up other weapons like rockets and cannons, but I found that it's best to ignore them, since they take forever to activate and by the time you can use them you've already been shot. There's also a drone plane that supposedly helps you, but it also takes far too long to do anything. As far as I can tell, the game is a total quarter muncher.

Sometimes you get to fly the Batplane from DKR, but this makes the game even more broken, as you'll be constantly hit by anti-air cannons that shoot the instant you come within range.

You can choose to go after Mr. Freeze, Bane, or the Joker, and Penguin shows up somewhere too. From what I've seen, their henchmen, boss vehicles and objectives are all exactly the same. They just look different and appear in a different order. You won't see the Mr. Freeze enemies shooting ice rays or anything. At least everything looks pretty: they aped the style of Arkham Asylum, just with less ugly character designs.

It's nice that Specular tried to do something different instead of just making another cookie-cutter racer, but this project was obviously rushed and they had little idea of how to design a game of this type. But hey, it's a new Western arcade release from 2013 that isn't complete shit or a redemption game. Give it a shot if you see it.

Last edited:

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Holy shit that looks freakin fun. If it's online in the arcade too that would make it even better (but I doubt it since I haven't really seen any online arcades in the US). The problem with these type of games though (for me anyway) is the voices really determine the game. If it's the voices from the cartoon then I would be all for it, but if it's some random voices then bleh.

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
Holy shit that looks freakin fun. If it's online in the arcade too that would make it even better (but I doubt it since I haven't really seen any online arcades in the US). The problem with these type of games though (for me anyway) is the voices really determine the game. If it's the voices from the cartoon then I would be all for it, but if it's some random voices then bleh.
There's no online support, though you can register an ID to the machine to save your records like in H2Overdrive.

The voices are just some random actors, but they're done pretty well.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler

My friend Adam who has an arcade in Utah of all places got in a Batman and did a video on it. Looks really good, I'd expect nothing less from the guys at Specular Interactive. They've been knocking it out of the park with their last batch of racing games. Its a shame that their an arcade only company, because I'd love to see Dirty Drivin' and H20verdrive on a home console.

What I really want is for them to get the Wreck-It Ralph license so that they can make a real Sugar Rush arcade game.

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member

My friend Adam who has an arcade in Utah of all places got in a Batman and did a video on it. Looks really good, I'd expect nothing less from the guys at Specular Interactive. They've been knocking it out of the park with their last batch of racing games. Its a shame that their an arcade only company, because I'd love to see Dirty Drivin' and H20verdrive on a home console.

What I really want is for them to get the Wreck-It Ralph license so that they can make a real Sugar Rush arcade game.

Very interesting. I'm guessing the PCB itself is just a PC.

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
Right next to a Darius Burst AC cab! I thought I had heard of there being one in Utah.

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
Like I said, it's cool to look at and really fun for the first few minutes, just don't be surprised if you find yourself raging at not being able to ever avoid getting hit when the caution markers show up.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Pretty much all the games being released in arcades are boxes with computers in them, even the new Wizard of Oz from Jersey Jack. They all use USB ports so they have the option to update games with patches. Adam's got a whole story on his site on how he got the Dairus Burst. It's one of the very few English release versions that Taito made while some of the ones that are in California have been imported from Japan. It went from a shitty bowling ally in New Jersey then to his place in Utah.

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
Yeah, I had heard that Taito made a handful of English Darius Burst cabs for location testing. I think they were going to give it wider US distribution if those cabs made enough money, but unsurprisingly, it didn't pan out.

I wish there was a service like Nesica or P-RAS Multi for the US that could sustain fighters and shmups in the arcades, but I know that most locations are only interested in flashy redemption, driving, and gun games nowadays (and pinball if you're lucky). Dang kiddies and rednecks.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
*Shameless Self Promotion*

Also, if you're a fan of Edge Magazine...make sure to check out the February issue that my friend and I had a hand on writing. The head editor of the magazine contacted me on Facebook about wanting to do an article on people that collect coin-op games. So we've got a bunch of great interviews with some of our friends including John, who does the John's Arcade YouTube channel and Gary Vincent, the founder of the American Classic Arcade Museum up at FunSpot in Weirs Beach New Hampshire and the one and only, OMFG from right here on Neo-Geo.com!

Last edited:

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
*Shameless Self Promotion*

Also, if you're a fan of Edge Magazine...make sure to check out the February issue that my friend and I had a hand on writing. The head editor of the magazine contacted me on Facebook about wanting to do an article on people that collect coin-op games. So we've got a bunch of great interviews with some of our friends including John, who does the John's Arcade YouTube channel and Gary Vincent, the founder of the American Classic Arcade Museum up at FunSpot in Weirs Beach New Hampshire and the one and only, OMFG from right here on Neo-Geo.com!

Congrats Nick.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I'll be sure to check if the local B&N still have the current issue.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Like I said, it's cool to look at and really fun for the first few minutes, just don't be surprised if you find yourself raging at not being able to ever avoid getting hit when the caution markers show up.
I finally managed to play this when I was in the US in Dec '14.

I really enjoyed the game overall except, exactly what you mentioned in the caption above. Found the inability to avoid the incoming 'red' attacks really frustrating and cheap. I had to credit feed to get past the initial Joker mission.

Like Moon Jump said earlier, I really think (after a specified time within the arcade) that it would be great to see Specular/Raw Thrills/etc release these as DL titles for PS, XB & Wii platforms. Like SEGA did with After Burner Climax, for example.

I'd be all over them!

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
The thing about arcade games that are being released now is their more like interactive rides. Most of them you're guaranteed a set amount of playtime before the next player gets on or they ask for more money to continue. That's why all you see being made now are huge "experience" games like racers, huge ass flight sims and big light gun shooters. Most places I play Batman let you play through the first two stages, then the third one the difficulty shoots up like a rocket and you die not even two minutes into playing it. Even after playing the game multiple times I still can't get past the third part without putting more money into the game, so that's how the get you.

It's also the way the place sets the game too. When I played Mach Storm in Dave and Busters in Times Square they let you choose a mission then you get an extra bonus mission where the more enemies you shoot down, the more time you get. So it's even better then the other part of the game because you're going against the clock to stay on the game and keep racking up the points. Meanwhile I played the same game at GameWorks in Las Vegas and when I got up to the bonus stage they wouldn't let me select it and the timer just ran out and my turn was over. I even went as far as putting two credits into the machine to see if it'd let me continue and no dice.

It's a shame that's what everything's becoming these days. I doubt we'll ever see another action platformer or anything original unless it pays out with tickets.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Let's see who's going to be the first to 1cc this, or will the TAS community prove that it'd be an impossibility.