Was (What's Your Favorite Vaporware?) Now N64 Crying

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
[highlight]EDITOR'S NOTE: TheBigBB reacts strongly to SmokeHouse's post against the N64 as a complete product, and this quickly takes off as he counters all comers, to his own chagrin.[/highlight]

I've always have been very interested in Vaporware. Going all the way back to the 80's and remembering games,consoles, accessories etc.. that got canceled or just disappeared into the void. I would enjoy to hear what is some of your favorite or most anticipated piece of Vaporware.

One of my favorites was the Taito WOW WOW. An 32-bit CD-Rom based home console produced by Taito. Sadly it never got out of the trade shows. I wonder if it would have been able to compete with Sony and Sega during that era.
Taito WOW WOW.jpg

My next favorite is of course Resident Evil 1.5.
For anyone who does not know (everyone knows) Resident Evil 1.5 was the original version of Resident Evil 2. it was over 80% complete when Capcom decided it was not up to par and scrapped the whole game and started from scratch. There is almost a urban Mythos about RE1.5. It's said that The demo for the Game did Exist and some people managed to get there hands on the rom but hoarded it from the general public. Either way I would love to actually play it. A couple years ago A small group of fans said they had parts of the game and were recreating it for public play but that also vanished into the abyss.
RE_1.5_anuncio.jpg

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Sonic X-Treme all the way! Finally playing a proto of the NiGHTS engine version was great.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Interesting thread idea Guts. Propeller Arena was the one game I was really disappointed about not being released, but now it's readily available thanx to teh internetz, and for what it is, the game isn't half bad :)

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
My favorites are the fighting game crossover rumors, but the biggest being Sammy vs. Capcom. It was announced back in 2003 and was suppose to use the Guilty Gear engine and would feature Guilty Gear & Rumble Fish characters against Capcom characters, but it never came to pass.

Even without all the acquisition issues for Sammy & Arc Sys at the time, I don't even know how feasible that game is given the playing speed differences of the two company's games. Either Capcom characters would need to be turned up to 11 or Sammy's nerfed a bit, least that's my feeling on it.

Now, if I could actually have a crossover made, I'd like Sammy vs. SNK. There's enough variety with both companies now to make that a very awesome title.

Last edited:

Phyeir

Interesting thread idea Guts. Propeller Arena was the one game I was really disappointed about not being released, but now it's readily available thanx to teh internetz, and for what it is, the game isn't half bad :)

And you don't need an entire VMU for it like the Half Life game o_0

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
For me? The king of Kings...

The SNES CD ROM...

The hype for that thing was insane. Being basically a new system that would turn a SNES into a "SNES 1.75"...I wanted it to come out desperately. Constant rumors, concept drawings and articles in EGM, Die Hard Game Fan and even Nintendo Power kept me drooling.

After years of waiting patiently, the system was flushed and all we got was the abortion/shit fest that was the N64...what a complete let down that dung-heap was after the glory that was the SNES.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
RDI Halycon

It was kind of released, but not really.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
neo geo home console online play would have been nice, similar to the snes dialup network

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

The SNES CD ROM...

The hype for that thing was insane. Being basically a new system that would turn a SNES into a "SNES 1.75"...I wanted it to come out desperately. Constant rumors, concept drawings and articles in EGM, Die Hard Game Fan and even Nintendo Power kept me drooling.

After years of waiting patiently, the system was flushed and all we got was the abortion/shit fest that was the N64...what a complete let down that dung-heap was after the glory that was the SNES.

Totally agree with the SNES CD add-on being the #1 vaporware, in terms of hype and anticipation. Nintendo resisted the switch to disks as long as they could. Calling the N64 an abortion/shit fest is a bit harsh but I never bought one, so I guess that says something.

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Totally agree with the SNES CD add-on being the #1 vaporware, in terms of hype and anticipation. Nintendo resisted the switch to disks as long as they could. Calling the N64 an abortion/shit fest is a bit harsh but I never bought one, so I guess that says something.

Whats really interesting is that The SNES-CD was being developed by Sony. At the time Nintendo had signed a contract with Sony for them to be the only producers of any CD extension device for the SNES. As it was being developed by Sony, Nintendo went all Black ops and tried to make a back alley deal with Philips to make a cheaper CD-Rom drive for the SNES. Needless to say Once Sony caught wind of this they legally severed the contract and used what they learned to develop The PlayStation. It was so late in the game by this time Nintendo abandoned the idea of expanding the SNES in favor of designing a new Console. Rumor has it that Philips used what little research they had done on their version of SNES-CD to develop the Philip's CDI. Shroom Star Craft Ghost would have been awesome as hell. I've played Thrill Kill it's pretty Bonkers. The Midget Dude was my favorite. It was completed but canceled due to controversy. I remember reading about Sammy Vs. Capcom, I would have loved to see that come to fruition.

Phyeir

Calling the N64 an abortion/shit fest is a bit harsh but I never bought one, so I guess that says something.

When you compare it to the SNES, it's completely accurate. To say N64 is good, you need to forgive far too many faults. Fun can be had with some of the top end titles, but it's a sharp fall from there.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,

The SNES CD ROM...

I too recall eagerly awaiting the SNES CD-ROM. Read many a mag article on it. Was greatly disappointed when it was finally released as the Playstation.

I have wondered many, many times what would have been had Sony not told Nintendo to fuck off and hadn't released it as their own system...

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran

Was not aware of this one Mugi but I just Googled it and it actually looks pretty badass. Makes me wish i still had my Dreamcast.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
For a 3DO fan like me it would be the Panasonic M2

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I had been hoping for the rumored Chrono Break to happen after Chrono Cross, and Lunar 3...sigh :/

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I had been hoping for the rumored Chrono Break to happen after Chrono Cross, and Lunar 3...sigh :/

I was really skeptical when I first heard the rumors for Chrono Break. still bummed when it never came out. I was actually pissed when Snatcher R was rumored to be a new Snatcher for Wii when in fact it turned out just to the the code name for the Sdatcher raido drama thing.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Metroid Dread, of course.

Just give me another 2D Metroid, Nintendo. Or another Retro Metroid. Just not Itagaki-less Team Ninja, please.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
Earthbound 64: I was eagerly awaiting that one, and all we English speakers ever got was a fan-translated Game Boy Advance version.

Did you guys hear about the Toe Jam and Earl 3 Dreamcast version that was discovered recently? I think that is going to see the light of day. The guy who found it seemed interested in finishing it or sharing it. The game isn't the same as the Xbox one.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member

The SNES CD ROM...

This for sure. Not sure how it would have gone though, i kind of think in hindsight Nintendo were right to cancel it. I mean has there ever been a succesfull cd or any kind of add on system for a console? Exactly...

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
This for sure. Not sure how it would have gone though, i kind of think in hindsight Nintendo were right to cancel it. I mean has there ever been a successful cd or any kind of add on system for a console? Exactly...
The CD addons that were actually released (Sega CD, Turbographx CD, etc) were not hugely successful. This was because they were expensive (for the unit itself, and the games were still expensive but not as much as cartridges). Also, it was the fact that some people were willing to buy the extra addon hardware, and some weren't. So you had a split market, where developers preferred developing games just for the base unit (genesis), because everyone had one. So it became a vicious circle, where people would buy the CD as well because there weren't enough games for it. One of the strengths of consoles is the fact that they are standardized- generally, everyone has the same hardware, so it easy to develop a game that will run on everyone's system (which is less true for PC's). A cutting edge PC will have more power than the latest console, but it doesn't have the standardization.

Some of ideas for the SNES CD were used for the Playstation. The PS1 had a similar controller, it was the same color (grey), but it had none of the Miyamoto games.

Last edited:

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
I think Nintendo made the right move to cancel add-on systems in general. I also think the N64 was a good system with some incredible games, but of course the SNES was better. What wasn't the SNES better than?