New Neogeo Wireless Joystick Controller

Benharper

n00b
When everything is finish, I would be taker 2 kit too.

The transmitter may be incorporated inside a controller neo geo AES ?

The final receiver on Console side, what is he going to look like? a thing like that?
1000x1000.jpg

Last edited:

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
When everything is finish, I would be taker 2 kit too.

The transmitter may be incorporated inside a controller neo geo AES ?

The final receiver on Console side, what is he going to look like? a thing like that?
View attachment 11797

I don't have an AES controller to test so I'm not sure if it will fit internally with a battery pack, it may. If it doesn't you can use the external dongle board. I don't have an enclosure designed for the receiver board yet.

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Hello,

Is there anyone in the Austin, TX area that would be interested in a live demo of the wireless joystick adapters? I'm thinking about hosting a demo at my house either this Saturday (3/29) or next (4/5) at a time which is most convenient for those interested. Although I still have the final designs being cut at the PCB fab I have working proto's that run the same firmware and use the same connections. They are functionally equivalent, the only difference is that the final receiver design crams it all onto a much smaller PCB.

Here's what I have to show:

2 joysticks with internal wireless transmitters and multiple dongle based transmitter PCB's with DB15 and screw terminal connections. The transmitters are designed to use 3.7v Lithium Ion or Lithium Polymer batteries using a keyed JST connector and have built-in charge over USB circuitry. They can also be powered from 4 AA's or other similar power source on a screw connector.

2 receiver designs, one that supports JAMMA boards and another which can be used as a wireless -> USB joystick adapter for PC based games like Street Fighter IV,Mame,etc. Please note, the final receiver design combines both functions on the same board and user firmware updates are possible over USB.

All units support the standard Neo wiring on the DB15 along with 3 extra buttons for kick harnesses. I will have an MVS setup, a PC running Mame on a Sony PVM, a standalone SVC Chaos PCB and will put Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition on a projector.

I also welcome anyone to bring there own stick to test so long as it conforms to the typical Neo/Supergun DB15 standard.

Thanks,

Mike

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
wish I was in Texas. If this goes down, Pics would be rad.

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Very exciting news. Especially that you have cramped everything in a handy dongle.

There were two reasons for that, first and foremost the smaller the better especially for internal mounting and second if I could get it all 5cm^2 or smaller its cheaper to cut at the fab. The downside is assembling the units has become far more difficult and time consuming.

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
Contact BonusKun and see if he is around the area still.

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hello,

Is there anyone in the Austin, TX area that would be interested in a live demo of the wireless joystick adapters? I'm thinking about hosting a demo at my house either this Saturday (3/29) or next (4/5) at a time which is most convenient for those interested. Although I still have the final designs being cut at the PCB fab I have working proto's that run the same firmware and use the same connections. They are functionally equivalent, the only difference is that the final receiver design crams it all onto a much smaller PCB.

Here's what I have to show:

2 joysticks with internal wireless transmitters and multiple dongle based transmitter PCB's with DB15 and screw terminal connections. The transmitters are designed to use 3.7v Lithium Ion or Lithium Polymer batteries using a keyed JST connector and have built-in charge over USB circuitry. They can also be powered from 4 AA's or other similar power source on a screw connector.

2 receiver designs, one that supports JAMMA boards and another which can be used as a wireless -> USB joystick adapter for PC based games like Street Fighter IV,Mame,etc. Please note, the final receiver design combines both functions on the same board and user firmware updates are possible over USB.

All units support the standard Neo wiring on the DB15 along with 3 extra buttons for kick harnesses. I will have an MVS setup, a PC running Mame on a Sony PVM, a standalone SVC Chaos PCB and will put Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition on a projector.

I also welcome anyone to bring there own stick to test so long as it conforms to the typical Neo/Supergun DB15 standard.

Thanks,

Mike

Crap... looks like our phone conversation linked you and I mentally! Now I have to do 3 versions of the MK30 SuperGun. DB15, USB, and Wireless!

J

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Shit man. I was in Austin a couple weeks ago (SXSW) and would have loved to meet up. I can't wait to get my hands in 2x of these bad boys. Can't. Wait.

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Crap... looks like our phone conversation linked you and I mentally! Now I have to do 3 versions of the MK30 SuperGun. DB15, USB, and Wireless!

J

Not really, the receiver has a db15 connector, a usb mini-b connector, and screw terminals that share the same connections as the DB15 connector. On a supergun you wouldn't be using USB at all but it's still on the board.

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Hello,

I have some new pictures of the current boards I'm testing. I will likely stick with this design. The transmitter has a DB15 Male connector and the receiver has a female DB15 connection and screw terminals which correspond to the same connections on the DB15. I added the screw terminals to make it easier to wire directly to Jamma harnesses. The receiver can also act as a wireless supergun controller to USB adapter for a PC/MAC setup.

The transmitter can be powered from lithium ion or lithium polymer rechargeable batteries (as seen in the picture) . It can also charge these batteries over its mini usb-b connector. Optionally, it can be wired to a 4v - 12v battery pack by wiring directly to the power input screw terminal. The receiver must be powered by regulated 5v from a jamma powersupply or by USB if used on a PC.

Although an NGCD joypad is pictured, these transceivers have enough inputs to support 13 inputs on the DB15 connector. The units can also support 2 way communication with the ability to receive data from a Neogeo system but this would mean loosing the "kick" harness supergun support which typically uses these lines. This can be considered experimental as I'm not really spending a lot of time at the moment testing Neo output lines. That said, the transmitter will ship with all 13-buttons configured as inputs.

User flashing of the receiver unit is possible over usb, this makes it very fast to change it from supergun to PC usb mode.

Each board is 5cmx5cm and has drill holes for mounting. It's unclear if I'll be able to make an enclosure for these in the near future since the cost and effort for doing so is far higher than I had originally anticipated. I'm also currently shopping around for a shop to solder the pcb's as it takes me nearly 2hrs per set to do it myself. I'll updated shortly when I sort that out.

Thanks!

Mike

Attachments

• Wireless-Final2.png
    Wireless-Final2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 150

Valt C

n00b
I wonder if can work nice to stream data via the device for the neo-2-pc suite too. Is it possible Mike?

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
I wonder if can work nice to stream data via the device for the neo-2-pc suite too. Is it possible Mike?

It's possible but it wouldn't be as fast as the direct connection. The bidirectional data support in the wireless units is more for supporting things like 4-player mode and other neo peripherals that also use the neo joystick output pins.

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
Mike,

I have a local shop that does some soldering for me. Shoot me an email and Ill see if they can do a quote based on the BOM and # of solder points.

Is there a possibility to do a "remote" antenna on these? How about a terminal block version to mount inside of a stick so you dont have to use the DB15 at all? Wire the buttons directly to the board.

Jasen

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
Not really, the receiver has a db15 connector, a usb mini-b connector, and screw terminals that share the same connections as the DB15 connector. On a supergun you wouldn't be using USB at all but it's still on the board.

For this I was talking about a USB Controller (like a Panzer with a PS360+ only) to SuperGun connection. UD is making them over at SRK. Going to build a MK30 version around them :-D and a MK30 version around the wireless set you are building!

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Mike,

Is there a possibility to do a "remote" antenna on these? How about a terminal block version to mount inside of a stick so you dont have to use the DB15 at all? Wire the buttons directly to the board.

Jasen

Hi Jasen,

Yes, a remote antenna is possible, it also increases range tremendously - over 1000ft is possible. Regarding the terminal block, yes, this is also possible. I chose the internal DB15 connector as it makes a more secure connection and its much faster to plug/unplug. The downside of course is that you need to wire in a connector. Without the DB15 in place you could of course wire directly to its plated through holes but I wouldn't want to support wires soldered directly to a pcb like that.

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
Mike, makes sense. I was thinking about the cost... coupling one of your boards internal with a solderless DB15 makes it a terminal block version quickly but also adds considerable cost (These solderless DB15s arent exactly cheap).

Jasen

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Mike, makes sense. I was thinking about the cost... coupling one of your boards internal with a solderless DB15 makes it a terminal block version quickly but also adds considerable cost (These solderless DB15s arent exactly cheap).

Jasen

Hi Jasen,

I wasn't too worried about cost there, just size really. I had to make a decision to drop the screw terminals on the transmitter after I added the battery charging circuitry. After I was able to fit the terminals and DB15 on the receiver I realized its likely possible to redesign the transmitter to also use them and keep it 5cmx5cm but I'm not convinced the screw terminals are a better choice.

The parts cost of a db15 to screw terminal adapter is under $5 and that's with the PCB. It's probably even cheaper if you can get the screw terminals cheaper than I do - currently I pay about $0.40 for a 2 conductor block.

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
Clearly, I need a better source. Shoot me a PM with what you are talking about (site, etc). Im always looking for cheaper ways to make my superguns and help folks out. I may also be interested in doing a Jasen's Customs Run of terminal block versions of your setup... if you are willing. Let me know. I think it would go over great for my customers and their Superguns.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Boards look great!

While I see the appeal of it to some folks, personally I would do away with the screw terminals all together and just have solder pads in there place. Might be able to shrink the board some more and spend less time building them.

Also, you mention 2 hour build time per set. Are you using a stencil with solder paste and reflow oven/surface to do all the SMD work? Or all by hand? Cause moving to a paste and reflow combo could rapidly speed up up all the SMD parts being soldered. Then just hand solder the remaining through hole stuff. That is unless you are already doing that.

Last edited: