New Neogeo Wireless Joystick Controller

NeoHomeBrew

Overtop Pathfinder
Wireless + 6 buttons + 4 player support - whohaa! That would be a must-have for me :buttrock:

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Fantastic work, I had been considering starting a project like this. I'll definitely be in for a couple boards as long as the price is right. Personally I like either bare board or dongle, as where an integrated solution into an aes stick would be sleeker, the dongle would preserve the stock functionality of the controller. I guess the bare board would be cheaper though right?

Bare board would be cheaper, yes. I'm going to make 2 versions I think.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
This is awesome man, great work so far. I'll echo that if you could make a dongle type that could fit onto a female DB15 port it would be perfect. I'm not sure if that dongle could also house the batteries though. Also consider if you haven't some of the MVS boards that have been consolised have the deeper hood controller ports (MV2 etc) for the receiver dongle.

Looking forward to this project progression.

CFinley

Banned
I would definitely buy 2 of these boards if they were plug n' play style, sign me up

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
Shut up and take my money :).
If you do start selling this I'll be interested in getting like 4-6 of them lol I know people who would love these.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
This is incredible I'm liking every bit of the design. Put me down for 2 dongles once it gets into gear.

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Thanks for all the great responses here. I hope to have the PCB's ordered by the end of the week and it's usually a 2-3 week turnaround for the PCB fab to etch them. Hopefully by this time next month I'll be able to fulfill orders. If you like, please PM me quantity required and whether you want a small PCB (for use internally in a custom joystick) or dongle in a small project box (for use in with standard DB15 Neogeo pinout joysticks) . This info will help decide how many PCB's to order of each type and by no means obliges you to purchase anything. Once the boards are complete I'll have a better idea on pricing and will update the thread with this info. I'll also keep the thread up-to-date with my progress on production.

Thanks!

jeffensminger

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
So stoked on this. I'm down for 2. Let me know if need someone local to beta test for you!

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
I thought I should mention that the wireless adapter will not ship with a cable to connect from the receiver to the Neo. I use a Neogeo joystick extension cable with mine and if you have a custom controller you may already have one.

For those who may not know, the Neo uses a standard DB15 pinout but SNK made the connectors deeper than normal requiring db15's which fit deeper into the socket.

Regarding board fabrication, a small batch has been sent to the fab and should be back in two weeks, perhaps less. This batch was for verification of the final design and a round of beta testing will be performed. The board is 5x8cm not including the db15 which sticks out just under 1cm. Only the dongle based hardware will ship with a male db15 connector while the bare PCB will ship with screw terminals which have silkscreened text indicating the connections, ie. ABCD UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT START+SELECT. There are 4 selectable channels which for now are selected by jumpers but its likely I will have a different method to set these when it comes time to ship.

Mike

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
any thoughts about making this possible to use with a MAC supergun with a full 6 button pinout?

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
any thoughts about making this possible to use with a MAC supergun with a full 6 button pinout?

This is possible. Currently the design supports the Neo pinout but any additional configurations which use the 3 additional output lines as additional buttons is possible with a firmware update. Since there's no way for me to know how a supergun pinout is laid out I can only do things like this on a case-by-case basis.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
the pin out here:

http://arcadeforge.net/Supergun-MAK-Strike/Supergun-MAK-Strike::74.html

OR this:

db15_laugh.png

is pretty much standard for superguns. The only difference between the two is the button 5 and 6 placement.. they're swapped. Beyond that, it's the same.

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
It might take me some time but it might be worth making a PC interface to dynamically change the pinouts. Once the test PCB's are in and tested I'll look into things like that. The controllers have USB capabilities and EEPROM so something like this can be configured and stored onchip. The only non-changeable pins are +5v and ground (pin 1 and pin 8). I can tell you up front it wont be a top priority but up there on the list.