mega man 6 NES graphic issues on frontloader

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Hey guys just as the post says i just bought a mega man 6 NES cart all original. I have graphic issues on the frontloader NES on certain parts of levels. For instance on blizzard mans stage when you get to the boat part the sound freaks and and plays one long note and the boat doesnt move on the screen but it is clearly moving mega man around. also plant mans stage when you get to the part with the rock monster looking robots the bottom of the stage flies all around the screen vertically. The weird thing is that i put the game in my top loader and it works fine. I have just recently replaced the 72 pin connector on my front loader and I just took apart the cart and cleaned it, there are no graphic issues when i played any other games on it. Any advice is helpful thanks guys

Joe

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Still sounds like a dirty cart to me. How exactly did you clean it? Do you still have the old 72-pin connector, or did you chuck it?

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Still sounds like a dirty cart to me. How exactly did you clean it? Do you still have the old 72-pin connector, or did you chuck it?

I always take my carts apart and clean the contacts with rubbing alcohol also I threw the old 72 pin out it was a couple weeks ago that I changed it.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
I can almost guarantee you that your problem is still dirty contacts. Rubbing alcohol is not adequate for cleaning carts. Use an eraser, and if you have some DeOxit (and if you don't you should get some), use that afterwards. If properly refurbished, the OEM 72-pin connectors are better than the new 3rd-party replacements, so it's a bummer that you threw it out.

Here's a little run-down on cleaning with an eraser. I hadn't yet discovered DeOxit when I wrote that, so I should probably update it:

http://www.cgquarterly.com/articles/cleangames.htm

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
May I ask why you pitched the old 72pin instead of boiling it?

A lot of people don't know any better. One of the things the NES is famous for is how unreliable the cartridge slot is due to cleanliness issues, so unless you do your research or are in-the-know, replacing the connector seems like a logical thing to do.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
I have only replaced one connector and that was at the demand of the customer. After a week they called me back and wanted me to clean the old on and reinstall it as the pins on the new one were so tight it took a set of pliers to remove. Boiled the old connector and the system is running like it did back in 86!

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Don't forget to clean the inner NES mainboard edge connector, where the 72 pin connector attaches to. It's unreal how dirty that thing can get. How does dirt even get there?!

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
The eraser trick works really well. In case of heavy corrosion you can use a light gauge wire brush and carefully scour the corrosion from the contacts.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
I do recommend deoxit if you can find it in your area. It can be spendy but worth every penny!

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
I do recommend deoxit if you can find it in your area. It can be spendy but worth every penny!

It's expensive, but if you're just using it to clean cartridges then one can or bottle is basically a lifetime supply.

silverharbinger

War Room Troll
It's expensive, but if you're just using it to clean cartridges then one can or bottle is basically a lifetime supply.

That's probably true for any cart but the Neo's. The contact areas on those are like 4 times the size of anything else.

They should make a 1 gallon can of D5 and call it the SNK edition.

EDIT: Does anybody else notice that you can get the contacts shiny clean with D5, let it dry, clean it again, and the q-tip is coming up super grey? I feel like they attract almost invisible dirt constantly.

Last edited:

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
largest I have been able to find is the 100% solution in a 32oz bottle (1qt) and my cost on it is $385! I always like calling up people and asking for crazy quantities of stuff. Asked about a 5 gal bucket of loctite red one time and actually got a price back, only a couple grand you know hahahaha

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Brasso works well on old pins if you are careful and ensure you only get it on the connectors themselves. Also, you need to wipe it down thoroughly before you play, as residue isnt too good for the whole cleanliness aspect.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
any left over residue will act as glue for all the nasty crap around. Nothing like opening up a cart someone "cleaned" and finding hair, dirt, skin particles, ect all over the contacts

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
May I ask why you pitched the old 72pin instead of boiling it?

tell me more about this boiling, does it reset the contacts as well as clean them or is there some adjustments that need to be made to the contacts cause the reason i threw the old one out was that the cart could literally fall out of the console if you tipped it over the contacts were so loose. also how long do you boil it for i will definitely try this technique in the future.

@Jibbajaba Ive always cleaned all my carts with rubbing alcohol and there has never been a problem so im thinking its more the contacts in the system will keep you all posted once i get this figured out over the next few days

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
No, it wouldn't work. The cartridge slot in any Genesis system is permanently soldered to the mainboard.

What might work as a partial remedy is to wet a Genesis cartridge and use that to clean the system's cart slot. It's a lot less dangerous than cardboard or fabric. I tried a shirt in a NES connector once and it pulled out a few pins.

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
No, it wouldn't work. The cartridge slot in any Genesis system is permanently soldered to the mainboard.

What might work as a partial remedy is to wet a Genesis cartridge and use that to clean the system's cart slot. It's a lot less dangerous than cardboard or fabric. I tried a shirt in a NES connector once and it pulled out a few pins.

That goes to show how much I know about systems specifics. I'm guessing it would be a bitch to solder back on if it was taken off.

I'll keep that remedy in mind. Had my first Genesis for a long time, so I did pick up two spares if it dies out on me.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
@Jibbajaba Ive always cleaned all my carts with rubbing alcohol and there has never been a problem so im thinking its more the contacts in the system will keep you all posted once i get this figured out over the next few days

Just do me a favor and try cleaning the cart with an eraser before you get all next-level on this shit. Then name your first-born son "Chris".

Chris

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
Just do me a favor and try cleaning the cart with an eraser before you get all next-level on this shit. Then name your first-born son "Chris".

Chris

Yes clean the cart right first, if that doesnt work then we can go on to the next step!

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Ok guys took the cart apart again and upon closer inspection found slight corrosion on one of the terminals and cleaned it per gutsdozers suggestion with a light wire brush also cleaned the contacts with an eraser to make you happy chris and the cart works great now. thanks to all who replied and helped me get this thing figured out many thanks!

Joe

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I always take my carts apart and clean the contacts with rubbing alcohol also I threw the old 72 pin out it was a couple weeks ago that I changed it.

You'd probably be better off licking the connectors clean than use isopropyl alcohol. Take an eraser, Brasso, heck I use glass cooktop cleaner to clean the contacts and then repurpose the ZIF connector. All the older games that never worked properly in my console before work like a champ now.

If the game works in your TL NES and other games work fine in your FL NES, then it's the game itself.