NG:Dev Team - Latest MVS Status Updates?

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
i owned both Gunlord DC and MVS at one point. I saw no differences at all except for the 'falling leaves' (missing in DC version) and load times.

What final boss are you referring to?

Sorry... the end of level bosses in Neo XYX. They explode and self destruct (from what I've seen) on the Neo, but merely display explosions and race off screen on the DC version...

KRiSX

King's Dry Cleaner
so i kinda got excited when seeing the announcement and also the email i got from ngdev about the reprint... are they saying there will only be 25 extra on top of the ones that are already ordered? if so i can see them going pretty quick :\ then again i guess price could stop people

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
We will do larger initial print runs of our future games to have some extra stock (~25 units extra).

I'm reading this as them saying they will do 25 units extra on their future games. Nothing about doing 25 extra reprints of back releases.

RetroGiga68k

New Challenger
i owned both Gunlord DC and MVS at one point. I saw no differences at all except for the 'falling leaves' (missing in DC version) and load times.

And this video claims MVS Gunlord has a narrative voiceover that NGDevTeam removed from the DC port.

Not sure how I feel about the wooden carts, how do they dissipate heat?

Valid point; presumably SNK did decide to put air vents on their MVS cart shell as some kind of precaution. Maybe it only becomes an issue if it's running for days at a time in a cab in a tropical climate arcade...

Hans Grösse

Banned
Sorry... the end of level bosses in Neo XYX. They explode and self destruct (from what I've seen) on the Neo, but merely display explosions and race off screen on the DC version...

I'm wondering why the Dreamcast versions would have lesser grafx if it has infinitely superior hardware?

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
I'm wondering why the Dreamcast versions would have lesser grafx if it has infinitely superior hardware?

The same with Fast Striker.....there's a ton of animated bits missing in the DC version for some reason.

NeoGeoNinja

The same with Fast Striker.....there's a ton of animated bits missing in the DC version for some reason.
Presumably it helps validate the price point for the Neo cart releases? You pay £400(ish), you want the best possible version right?

Or else, many would surely opt for the £30 DC release instead?!

And, if this isn't the reason for these cuts/omissions, then... maybe they just had problems porting them successfully and optimising them with everything in?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
In the future we most likely won't do any standalone MVS reprints again, as for all involved parties the long delay was problematic.

I hope this doesn't mean that they're just going to do only a single print run per title.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Presumably it helps validate the price point for the Neo cart releases? You pay £400(ish), you want the best possible version right?
Well, tbh, I can't say that some details like a missing animation or a removed voiceover will have me go for the Neo Geo release instead of the DC port - that decision is made on other grounds than that.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy

I am sure this has got something to do with how much ram there is on dreamcast vs how many megs the neo geo cart is.
Im sure the whole neo geo cart doesnt fit in dreamcast ram at once... possibly not even all frames of animation they would need within a level. So they rather skip a bit of animation than have gdrom loading/swapping stuff in ram during level.

edit: just checked, its 16MegaBytes ram in dreamcast, meaning you could fit 128 "megs" (Megabits) in Dreamcast´s ram... (in a best case scenario where we assume no ram is needed for nothing but the game.)

NGDEV games seem to all be bigger than that.

Last edited:

6tusBeckmesser

Mr. Big's Thug
I'm reading this as them saying they will do 25 units extra on their future games. Nothing about doing 25 extra reprints of back releases.

But they clearly state after that "After we processed all open orders we will put the remaining MVS reprint stock in the shop". That sounds to me as if we might be lucky this time.

NeoGeoNinja

I am sure this has got something to do with how much ram there is on dreamcast vs how many megs the neo geo cart is.
Im sure the whole neo geo cart doesnt fit in dreamcast ram at once... possibly not even all frames of animation they would need within a level. So they rather skip a bit of animation than have gdrom loading/swapping stuff in ram during level.

edit: just checked, its 16MegaBytes ram in dreamcast, meaning you could fit 128 "megs" (Megabits) in Dreamcast´s ram... (in a best case scenario where we assume no ram is needed for nothing but the game.)

NGDEV games seem to all be bigger than that.
Sounds like a likely suggestion, especially in the case of Fast Striker (near 1600meg). However, SNK ported an arcade perfect (sans some minor, non-gameplay hindering detail) version of MOTW to Dreamcast, and that was around 700meg, all animation and backgrounds intact (i.e. no KOF 99 3D backgrounds etc). Unless SNK did some sort of Polygon trickery, even with 2D elements in the likes of MOTW & LB2 for DC?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Unless SNK did some sort of Polygon trickery, even with 2D elements in the likes of MOTW & LB2 for DC?
From what I read SNK did some sorcery for MOTW (mainly file order and compressing the voice/sound files) to make it run smoothly on DC. There were some intricacies/secrets with GDs they were told by Sega.

pipes

There was a really good video up on youtube a while back doing a straight up comparison of the DC and MVS versions of Fast Striker. I looked for it but it appears to have been taken down unfortunately. Boss animations, stage clear animations and even the very beginning when your ship appears on screen has been tweaked or completely eliminated in the DC version.

NeoGeoNinja

There was a really good video up on youtube a while back doing a straight up comparison of the DC and MVS versions of Fast Striker. I looked for it but it appears to have been taken down unfortunately. Boss animations, stage clear animations and even the very beginning when your ship appears on screen has been tweaked or completely eliminated in the DC version.
I remember that one. It still missed quite a lot though.

For example, there is an entire final boss simply NOT present in the Dreamcast version. Instead, they simply gave the games (recurring) sub boss more HP at the end, making him harder/longer to defeat. There's also some of his animation sequences missing in the DC version. For example, in the NeoGeo version, at one point, he flies ahead of you, firing from the rearside until you take him down a little, then he animates as he swings around and turns to face you to continue a different attack pattern. On the DC, he appears facing you and leaves facing you.

There's additional level detail missing from the final stage too (in Normal Mode) that overlays the bottom scrolling layer. However, they also omitted in the Neo's Manic & Omake modes too, so it obviously hindered performance when there is more action on screen.

There's more, but I think I've said enough ;)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I hope this doesn't mean that they're just going to do only a single print run per title.

That's exactly what it means. If you want the game, pre-order it like a "normal" person.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I thought they made an order with AI regarding MVS shells like they did with DGE for AES shells & cases, so that they wouldn't run out of stock parts when making reprints.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Despite the wait times on reprints, people still want them and will pay and hence are willing to wait. They always sell out. They are reducing some of their potential customer base by eliminating reprints entirely.

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
I remember that one. It still missed quite a lot though.

For example, there is an entire final boss simply NOT present in the Dreamcast version. Instead, they simply gave the games (recurring) sub boss more HP at the end, making him harder/longer to defeat. There's also some of his animation sequences missing in the DC version. For example, in the NeoGeo version, at one point, he flies ahead of you, firing from the rearside until you take him down a little, then he animates as he swings around and turns to face you to continue a different attack pattern. On the DC, he appears facing you and leaves facing you.

There's additional level detail missing from the final stage too (in Normal Mode) that overlays the bottom scrolling layer. However, they also omitted in the Neo's Manic & Omake modes too, so it obviously hindered performance when there is more action on screen.

There's more, but I think I've said enough ;)

I think that kinda is like it should be. The Neo version is the absolute one and the ports are the watered down ones. :)

Stellaking

Witchsmeller Pursuivant
... & rightly so, it's not DC : Dev . Team.

Edit: As a DC port purchaser, I don't mind limitations in features, either due to time / non executable.
It did annoy me MVS/AES OST’s would come in a lovely jewel case & with posters etc.

But the Neo versions should have a certain presentation, a prestige about them I think.

Last edited:

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
Am I the only one that thinks plastic shells look better? I love the Analogue Interactive consoles, I'm an owner of one myself but for the carts I much prefer plastic. If you have an Omega these will look ridiculous in it and in an AI system they have no contrast and also look a bit strange IMO. I do hope they secure a deal in the future for more plastic cart shells because that's what MVS is to me. To each his own though.

If NGdev were to tell me only wooden from now on even though I prefer plastic I'd jump to wood. Problem is my original XYX is plastic dont want one plastic cart and all the rest wood. These are collectors items as well so the randomness really sucks in a way. Upgrade kits are a fantastic idea.

pipes

+1

If I'm given the option, I will pick plastic every time. I like that the wood opens easier and you don't have to worry about messing up the label but there's just something not right about sticking wood in my slots.

Last edited: