Blazing Star MVS

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I recently picked up a US Blazing Star MVS from Mr. Notorious (Coin OP Store). I inspected it against MVS Scans and it appears to be genuine, although perhaps I hold a version that has yet to be submitted.

The board 2 'Neo-273' chip is a different orientation to the ones pictured on the site.

My biggest concern is the soldering on the rear of both boards. It appears a little sloppy in places, and a bit darker too. There is also some sort of glue residue.

I know that there are plenty here that have been screwed by this guy in the past, but I wanted to ask here and get some of your thoughts before I left any sort of negative feedback.

IMG_2589.jpg

IMG_2587.jpg

IMG_2585.jpg

IMG_2586.jpg

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
it could just be me, but those solder joints look bad. Not even my bootleg KOF96 looks that bad!

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
it could just be me, but those solder joints look bad. Not even my bootleg KOF96 looks that bad!

This would be my biggest concern as well. Upon real close inspection they aren't that bad. The rear of the boards are actually quite dirty and this with the flash makes them look a lot worse in the pics.

The chips also appear to be legit. Hmmm...

420p

King's Dry Cleaner
Looks like he redid the solderpoints with a flamethrower and sent it to drakon to approve with a north load 😁

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Looks like an MVS Conversion: like somebody transplanted all the roms to another board set.

Blazing Star should have a ProgBK1 board and a CHA512Y board.

Defer to XX on this one though. He's been around here long enough.

Imho, if you got a good deal on it, and the cart plays fine, you should be ok.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
Looks like an MVS Conversion: like somebody transplanted all the roms to another board set.

Blazing Star should have a ProgBK1 board and a CHA512Y board.

Defer to XX on this one though. He's been around here long enough.

Imho, if you got a good deal on it, and the cart plays fine, you should be ok.

If not I will take it off your hands :buttrock:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It looks like it was moved over from the 512Y to a 256. Roms are legit though, if he has more copies, get as cleaner one.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Almost every cart that coinopstore that has a fake label is a chip transplant. His source probably found a supply of legit mask roms and is using less desirable carts as donors.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
The label is legit, so it appears it's a conversion to another board set. I picked it up for US$75.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251399921451?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Considering the price, I'm not too happy that the boards aren't 100%. If I was to re-sell in the future as an MVS conversion with legit label and roms, what sort of price would I be looking at?

I haven't quite decided how to approach this one "this is an original cart" is not entirely accurate or honest.

420p

King's Dry Cleaner
Describe it as it is. It is 100% SNK parts, but converted.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
I personally wouldn't be very happy if I received a conversion that was misrepresented to be authentic. If it were me, I'd reach out to the seller and see if he has any other blazing star carts he could swap this one out for. Otherwise, maybe see about getting a partial refund as I bet you wouldn't have paid $75 for the cart if you knew it wasn't 100% legit.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
you know you can message the guy from coinopstore for the best available cart or request a clear or black case. On blazing star he accepted my offer of $70 and I requested he send me the best looking cart he has, mine arrived with an excellent holo label. Guy seems nice enough, my 1 slot mvs board came with a fatal fury cart that was missing a screw and I asked him if he had a spare screw he could send me and he sent me a baggie with a couple dozen :D. It seems he raised his prices on his carts blazing star is now $85 and Kizuna encounter is now $50 BIN. my advice is when you buy from him just ask to have the best available sent and not leave it up to random chance.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I personally wouldn't be very happy if I received a conversion that was misrepresented to be authentic. If it were me, I'd reach out to the seller and see if he has any other blazing star carts he could swap this one out for. Otherwise, maybe see about getting a partial refund as I bet you wouldn't have paid $75 for the cart if you knew it wasn't 100% legit.

It's not a boot nor is it a conversion. I'd classify this as a repair. Although this would be a sloppily done full mask rom transplant kind of deal. It's still authentic as far as the boards and mask roms are concerned. As for not being a complete match to the ones listed on mvs-scans, that site doesn't have everything. It has most variations of boards but not all. I would use that site as a guideline but not gospel if there isn't a 1:1 match for something you own.

Conversion is strictly a term I use for AES fakery and to some extent cps1/cps2 boots to confuse new comers on what they are getting. With AES conversions, you're getting a fake label, insert, and sometimes manual for the intent purpose of deception. The coinopstore carts are by no means bootlegs but if having non-factory solder really bothers you that much, try to return it and continue looking for sometime that suits your tastes.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
When the process is completed: two "freaked" carts are made: one AES conversion and one MVS conversion.

The first half makes a converted AES cart. And the second half makes a converted MVS cart.

The converted MVS cart is made and sold to recover some or all production costs for making the converted AES cart.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Almost every cart that coinopstore that has a fake label is a chip transplant. His source probably found a supply of legit mask roms and is using less desirable carts as donors.

I've got 3 (maybe 4) carts from him with fake labels. I've only bought 2 carts directly from him. The others were obtained from somewhere else, but still his crappy label.

Mine have been legit, original boards. They were well used and kinda grimy. But still legit boards. I'd guess it's more along the lines of he buys lots of Japanese carts and tears the jap labels off to replace them with his shitty ass english copies. Why? No idea. Maybe to make it easier for him to distinguish? Maybe he thinks he'd not make as much $ with a jap label? Dunno.

Not my favorite guy to get carts from due to the shitty fake labels. But I've no complaints other than that..

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Most OPs can't read Japanese. And they don't want to spend the time switching carts in the cab looking for a game. Hence either English writing on a JP label or an English repro label.

Other OPs are/were concerned about the resale of a licensed product. So, they remove the serial numbers, or relabel the item. So, another reason for a repro label.

Most OPs don't care about the appearance of their arcade stuff. They are too busy for that. They just want it to work and make money. That's just the way they roll.

Last edited:

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Does coinopstore run an arcade of any sort or is he just a reseller?

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
I always assumed that the fake labels were most likely for the reason bubba described. The first thing I've done with carts from coinopstore has been to check the boards then replace the shitty labels with ones printed from JNX.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
When the process is completed: two "freaked" carts are made: one AES conversion and one MVS conversion.

The first half makes a converted AES cart. And the second half makes a converted MVS cart.

The converted MVS cart is made and sold to recover some or all production costs for making the converted AES cart.

This is only if the person making the conversion actually knows how to build carts knowing the cart logic. A lot of times people don't convert the left overs because they are following a guide to make the conversion.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
This is only if the person making the conversion actually knows how to build carts knowing the cart logic. A lot of times people don't convert the left overs because they are following a guide to make the conversion.

Thank God for lazy people.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I decided to keep the cart.

Coinopstore agreed on a partial payment so I give him credit for that.

Cheers for the insight fellas.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,

So he's got no reason to rip off a jap label, slap his shitty paper label on it, and sell it like that if he's not an operator (if that's what he's doing). A simple post it note or piece of blue tape on the damn shell would be more than enough to keep track of what the english name for the cart was. I'd be more inclined to buy carts from him if still had original labels. The couple I've bought so far were only ones I could get much cheaper than anywhere else. Otherwise I've not bothered.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I decided to keep the cart.

Coinopstore agreed on a partial payment so I give him credit for that.

Cheers for the insight fellas.

Overall how do you feel about coinopostore now? I see a lot of their stuff on eBay