Violent Storm issues - offering $ for repair services

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
I got a Konami Violent Storm that's not working properly. If I put a bit of pressure on the EPROMs, it'll show the ROM test and occasionally boot up properly. I don't see any bad traces, and it seems the ROMs are seated properly.

I've done work pinball boards before, but not much on arcade PCBs.

Any advice would be appreciated.

*edit*
This is more detailed work than I'm set up to do. I'll be happy to pay someone to repair it for me.

Last edited:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
I got a Konami Violent Storm that's not working properly. If I put a bit of pressure on the EPROMs, it'll show the ROM test and occasionally boot up properly. I don't see any bad traces, and it seems the ROMs are seated properly.

I've done work pinball boards before, but not much on arcade PCBs.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Common cold solder joint problem 90% on the large customs, easily fixed once isolated with proper soldering skills.

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
Pop all the chips and clean them with a fiberglass pen or fine brass brush. Also check the sockets for signs of dirt and corrosion.
If that doesn't solve the problem you may need to reflow some connections.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Couple notes - I removed the 3 socketed chips and reseated them. The seating of those chips themselves doesn't seem to be the issue.

5v is at 5.02, so that's good.

I figure I've got a cracked solder joint somewhere... I haven't done any surface mount work before and don't want to start on a board that I think is hard to come by like this, but if it's just reflowing I may be ok.

Mainman, which chips are the large custom ones you're referring to? the surface-mount ones with the Konami logo on them? (there are like 6 of those on the board.) Or one of the ones covered with black stuff?

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
Push gently on the six Konami quad chips one at a time and see if you can isolate the problem chip.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Push gently on the six Konami quad chips one at a time and see if you can isolate the problem chip.

Okay, so I think I found the one that's problematic, but I can't see any bad solder joints. My eyesight frankly isn't good enough to find one that small, probably.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Couple notes - I removed the 3 socketed chips and reseated them. The seating of those chips themselves doesn't seem to be the issue.

5v is at 5.02, so that's good.

I figure I've got a cracked solder joint somewhere... I haven't done any surface mount work before and don't want to start on a board that I think is hard to come by like this, but if it's just reflowing I may be ok.

Mainman, which chips are the large custom ones you're referring to? the surface-mount ones with the Konami logo on them? (there are like 6 of those on the board.) Or one of the ones covered with black stuff?

It can be any of the large Quad chips stamped with the Konami logo. Most people advise you to push down on the board while it is powered up to isolate the problem chip. I on the other hand always check all the chips legs with the board POWERED DOWN using my eye loupe and a dental pick.

Last edited:

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Would anyone here want to fix this for me? I'll be happy to pay you for your time.

I contacted Channelmaniac and haven't heard back.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Would anyone here want to fix this for me? I'll be happy to pay you for your time.

I contacted Channelmaniac and haven't heard back.

I can do it but are there any bent pins at all on the custom chips. I don't want to mess with bent pins. I've fixed about 4 of these boards already and they all had the same cold soldering problem.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
I can do it but are there any bent pins at all on the custom chips. I don't want to mess with bent pins. I've fixed about 4 of these boards already and they all had the same cold soldering problem.

I highly doubt there are any bent pins. I certainly don't see any. Here's a picture of the board:

I think the smaller chip just below the Konami logo is my problem, but I'm not 100% sure on that.