Neo-Geo X, console of the year?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I didn't have the heart to post this, nor comment on the story.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Well basically, the writer is saying his console of the year is nostalgia.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Well basically, the writer is saying his console of the year is nostalgia.
This, but mixed with closure... the guy always wanted to know why SNK fighters are awesome - but instead of having the brains to pick up a (C)MVS or even a home console he jumped on the NGX... idiot. Also calling MOTW a "more obscure game"? What kind of "games journalist" is he?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Must've been a shit year.

ps: lol ign

Last edited:

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
The last think the X needs is some free advertising.

IGN had hands on time with the AI CMVS in early 2012. Which they seem to have forgotten about now.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Also calling MOTW a "more obscure game"? What kind of "games journalist" is he?

He's John Q. Normalgamer. Let's not pretend like anyone outside of these types of forum or dedicated fighting game players have any idea what it is.

xsq

He's John Q. Normalgamer. Let's not pretend like anyone outside of these types of forum or dedicated fighting game players have any idea what it is.
Andy Corrigan said:
The chief reason that I’m so enamoured with the Neo-Geo X is that I have something of an affinity for fighting games. [...] I love the art, culture and the mechanics and systems behind them. More than anything, though, I love the learning process. [...] I lived and breathed fighting games more than any other genre as a kid; [...] Bizarrely, though, anything by SNK had managed to pass me by completely.
Seriously, that guy is full of shit. I'm not saying that the "average gamer" must have heard of SNK and specifically MOTW, but if you were into now classic fighting games as a kid (he mentions a SF II cab) and grew up to an aficionado of the genre, how is there a way around them?

ps: lol ign
QFT.

KRiSX

King's Dry Cleaner
i laughed pretty damn hard when i saw the article... can't bring myself to read it to be honest

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
i laughed pretty damn hard when i saw the article... can't bring myself to read it to be honest

The tl;dr of it is "hey, I never played SNK games before and they're pretty fun. ZOMG console of the year!!!one!1!!"

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Seriously, that guy is full of shit. I'm not saying that the "average gamer" must have heard of SNK and specifically MOTW, but if you were into now classic fighting games as a kid (he mentions a SF II cab) and grew up to an aficionado of the genre, how is there a way around them?

I straight guarantee this guy 'lived and breathed' learning how to shoryu on the SNES once when he was 12.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
i saw this and was incredibly tempted to post it here, but I just couldnt bring myself to do so. the level of ignorance this writer (who is freelance btw) displays of the very genre he is fascinated with is unbelievable

Medaka350

n00b
LOL
Skimmed over the article...

"Neo-Geo X has given me something that neither of these consoles ever could: closure."

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Since this sub-forum is just a joke I don't mind at all that old ass topics get bumped. The article wasn't even worth reading because of how ridiculous it was but I loved the comments. From basically the first comment posted this forum gets mentioned and how "negative" we are. Gotta love the free advertising that sega-16 and neogaf guys provide.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
NG.com hates the NGX because it threatens the value of our AES and MVS systems?

Did they pluck that conclusion out of the sky?

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
NG.com hates the NGX because it threatens the value of our AES and MVS systems?

Did they pluck that conclusion out of the sky?

I really don't think it's going to threaten the aes or mvs value because there's only a handful of aes games on the NGX.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
There are ZERO AES games on the NGX, which is all about emulations.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I really don't think it's going to threaten the aes or mvs value because there's only a handful of aes games on the NGX.

It was more a case of the IGN posters actually believing that we are shallow and fickle to think the NGX would really drive the prices of the legit hardware/software down. They have glazed over the fact that we hate the NGX because it's actually a pile of garbage and over priced for what it does (does it do anything?).

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
If anything, NGX actually drove the prices of mvs market up by spreading awareness to a number of titles. Magician Lord, for example, doesn't appear in any multicart. In the price guide it was listed to be $10 -30 in value. Good luck finding one at that price these days...

xsq

If anything, NGX actually drove the prices of mvs market up by spreading awareness to a number of titles.
My theory exactly. I think it got a lot of people to think of getting into neo geo again and made others research what it is. Don't know if that's a good thing or not... prices have been going up which sucks and I might never ever get Garou for the MVS.

Rori

Crazed MVS Addict
Yeah I was here because of the Neo Geo X, but thanks to Luke's videos, I skipped it, but I was jealous because at the time I was broke and really wanted a Neo Geo. This was of course, before I learned the cost of an AES copy of Metal Slug, or the cost of getting into MVS when the Analogue Interactive was making headlines.

A year later and here I am, with an AES and an MVS. For years I was just emulating but boy does it feel good to have the real thing! Still though, I've got a ways to go, and a ton of games to collect for!