Tools of the trade

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
great info.

this thread should get the 'sticky' treatment.

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
I've only had the 808 for a few months and I've only done one big project with it. I had to clean out the solder a couple of times when removing about 16 chips, but I did that within an hour while I was chatting. I have accidentally burned myself a few times with the tip cleaner, it's just a straight wire, if you touch anything but the little handle prepare for a scar.

Oh yea its easy to slip and have your fingers slide down onto that very hot piece of metal. Makes nice grooves on your fingers.
Hakko sells a tool to drill out clogs in the tip, Hakko B1303. I only used it once as a drill. But if you turn the drill bit around as to not scratch the inside of the tip and damage it, you get a nice sturdy cleaning tool.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
What are you guys housing your tools in or on? Right now im having a hard time keeping all my tools in a larger size plastic tool box and have been looking around at some alternatives that will allow me to still keep it portable.

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I'd love to have an 808 one of these days. Right now I'm using an Aoyue 474A+ desoldering station which gets the job done nicely, but it's fairly bulky and the tips wear out faster than I'd like.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
What are you guys housing your tools in or on? Right now im having a hard time keeping all my tools in a larger size plastic tool box and have been looking around at some alternatives that will allow me to still keep it portable.
Pics of peoples workspaces would also be great...

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
this is a really helpful thread, I was always wondering what I would need for cab maintenance should I invest in a cab

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
this is a really helpful thread, I was always wondering what I would need for cab maintenance should I invest in a cab

For general cab maintenance you only really need 3-4 tools. Multimeter, crimpers, soldering iron and a desoldering hand pump, though you could get away with using solder wick.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
Can anyone recommend a nice high quality drill bit set? I could use a new set, and I want sharp ones for drilling holes in my powdercoated MV-2 cover. I want to generate as little heat as possible to hopefully minimize possible paint flaking.

I don't need 100 different bits, just a decent assortment.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I really need to invest in an 808. ATM, all I have is my soldering iron/station (one from Sparkfun),a plunger solder sucker, and a desoldering braid.

All my tools are in 2 separate toolboxes right now, but I'm thinking I may need a bigger one, probably one with wheels and whatnot.

I also use this toolkit since I mainly work on consoles:

http://www.zoozen.com/cgi-bin/zoozen2/engine.pl?function=viewid&id=RKS00023&cat=MISC.-BASICS

It has all the tools for most, if not all, consoles.

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
Can anyone recommend a nice high quality drill bit set? I could use a new set, and I want sharp ones for drilling holes in my powdercoated MV-2 cover. I want to generate as little heat as possible to hopefully minimize possible paint flaking.

I got a few Titanium Irwin stepped drill bits, works great for metal. Not sure about the powder coating though.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
If anyone saw my tool box they'd probably wonder how the hell I do fucking anything.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
Im not really an arcade tech but... As a professional wireman I swear by this shit.
01032014550.jpg

Crimpers are kinda pricey at 400 bucks, but they rock... I wouldn't suggest unless you got deep pockets.

The auto wire strippers are pretty rad at around 25-30 bucks... I think Ideal also makes a decent set like this.

Little red nippers are good for cutting zip ties/ty wraps flush so there is no pointy sharp/pointy edges...

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
What kind of solder are you guys using? The stuff I got lay time sucks monkey balls

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I use Kester 44 solder, which is a 60/40 blend and has non-corrosive flux.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I use Kester silver. Amazing solder, glad I bought in bulk 5 years ago. Shit is so expensive now.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

If the powdercoating was done right, it won't chip. It might get a slight orange peel look due to the heat though.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
My daily driver stuff is Kester 44 60/40 .031inch.

I also have some .015 stuff for SMD work.

I keep a small spool of lead free (yuck) on hand for when I need to work on anything newer. Thankfully that's pretty much never.

Last edited:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
One more very important item you should get above all others.

Fire_Extinguisher.jpg

These will come in handy also
81-KUZfrylL.jpg

es-gp.jpg

What kind of solder are you guys using? The stuff I got lay time sucks monkey balls

Flux is your friend, buy lots of it.

Refillable Flux Pen
pen-ws.jpg
http://sra-solder.com/product.php/7041/141/sra_80_water_soluble_flux_pen_refillable

Flux Removal Pen
4140-p.gif
http://sra-solder.com/product.php/6718/141/platic_safe_flux_remover

One gallon of flux
99flux.jpg
http://sra-solder.com/product.php/6362/143/flux_rosin_97_1_gallon

Solder paste
smd291ax10t5_web.jpg
http://sra-solder.com/product.php/7133/15/chip_quik_63_37_no_clean_solder_paste_type_5_10cc

Last edited: