Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Clean Mod Work Thread!

Morden's Lackey

Some nice work here! If anyone can help me with doing an S-video mod for a snes mini drop me a pm.

Angel's Love Slave

Quote Originally Posted by Ash Burton View Post
    Some nice work here! If anyone can help me with doing an S-video mod for a snes mini drop me a pm.
    if you want to hack in a port, you can grab the s-video signal from the bottom of the multi out port

EDIT: Sorry about that I just saw the "mini" in your post. Since thats the case you will need to grab chroma and luma from the encode chip and then tone it down with some caps and resistors. Instructions can be found HERE

I always despise soldering to the pins of the surface mount chips. every time I end up bridging legs and having to clean it up and attempt it again. The model 2 genesis have the pins right next to each other and always makes for some fun. Nothing like soldering one wire on just to have the heat unsolder the other wire!
    Last edited by skinny503; 06-13-2014 at 10:00 AM.

Classic Game Room Review of my reproduction mini marquees Here

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy KGB View Post
    Calm down and stop being such a twat

Quote Originally Posted by skinny503 View Post
    if you want to hack in a port, you can grab the s-video signal from the bottom of the multi out port
    You left out a step.

Like adding S-video to the Mini to begin with. Need to mod it first to even get s-video.
    Terraonion Team Member

Check out Todd's Nerd Cave on Youtube!

Follow me on Twitter @ToddsNerdCave

Angel's Love Slave

I amended my post, havnt had the required amount of coffee this morning for proper functionality!

Morden's Lackey

Only thing I solder is my pinball machines, have no patience or time for this work. Seen a deal on ebay for $60 to pull off the mod, does that sound right?

Angel's Love Slave

PM incoming so we dont derail the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Ash Burton View Post
    Only thing I solder is my pinball machines, have no patience or time for this work. Seen a deal on ebay for $60 to pull off the mod, does that sound right?
    $60!!

It's like $1 in parts. Maybe 30 or 40 minutes of someone's time.

Sounds like I need to open up a dedicated modding service.

Rawdog Console Mods - No lube, All shaft.
    Last edited by Yodd; 06-13-2014 at 06:00 PM.
    Terraonion Team Member

Check out Todd's Nerd Cave on Youtube!

Follow me on Twitter @ToddsNerdCave

I'd charge $60 for my time to do it, but my time is expensive and this is why I don't do mods for people.
    Whatcha gonna do?

Windjammers Wonder

I would charge $50 for a dreamcast VGA mod, all parts included lol

Mickey's Coach

Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    I'd charge $60 for my time to do it, but my time is expensive and this is why I don't do mods for people.
    You damn right! I've never had people complain about my prices. Then again, they're generally folks that know I already work 12-16 hours a day for da man.

Angel's Love Slave

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightMonkey View Post
    You damn right! I've never had people complain about my prices. Then again, they're generally folks that know I already work 12-16 hours a day for da man.
    That's how it is with me. Most of the people I know capible of doing it will either do it themselves or pay me cause their time is worth more then mine. General I just bid jobs instead of telling them a hourly rate.

Mickey's Coach

Quote Originally Posted by skinny503 View Post
    That's how it is with me. Most of the people I know capible of doing it will either do it themselves or pay me cause their time is worth more then mine. General I just bid jobs instead of telling them a hourly rate.
    I wish I was more well known so I could bid on work! All I got is word of mouth and some business cards at my buddy's shop. It's aiight tho. I'm working on a piece to grab some attention around here. Get some of that rich yuppie/hipster jackass cash.

Angel's Love Slave

I was like that. What I have been doing inbetween commissions is snagging low cost systems from c-list or hitting up stores with stacks of broken systems. Once I get a system I mod it and offer it up for trade or dump it back on craigslist. Gotten lots of business doing the trading as people see what can be done then ask if I can do it to their personal system or do a different configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by Skips View Post

Hey Skips, I just noticed you've got a wire going to the cart slot here, is that for expansion audio? I'm curious, trying to get my facts straight before I do it to mine since I should get my system within the next few days.
    Last edited by GohanX; 06-16-2014 at 04:07 PM.
    Whatcha gonna do?

Angel's Love Slave

Hey Skips, I just noticed you've got a wire going to the cart slot here, is that for expansion audio? I'm curious, trying to get my facts straight before I do it to mine since I should get my system within the next few days.
    http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?ac...area=showposts based on this post I would say so

JammaNationX

Was I supposed to cut the trace going to that pin for the expanded audio? In the pic it looks like the trace has been cut. Or is that only for the JP systems?

Baseball Star Hitter

Yes its for the expanded audio. I also find it hilarious that people are using and editing the pictures i posted instead of taking the time to do the work themselves. You also don't have to use the kits audio though. I simply do it because I can adjust the level of the expanded audio channels and I personally like it more than the stock audio circuit. There is also less buzz in the audio, possibly none depending on your sound setup. I have 0 buzz in mine.

Baseball Star Hitter

Quote Originally Posted by Xian Xi View Post
    Was I supposed to cut the trace going to that pin for the expanded audio? In the pic it looks like the trace has been cut. Or is that only for the JP systems?
    You cut the trace on the Famicom. If you don't it sounds way off balanced even with the correct resistors. I cut pins 45 and 46 and pull the expanded audio off pin 46. If you don't use pin 46 on the Famicom the star in Gimmick! wont have any sound. I had forgot to cut both traces when I took that picture and was still using pin 45 only.

So, basically you cut the traces to cart slot pins 45 and 46, a wire comes from pin 46 into a resistor (tim says 100k ohms) which is attached to the hole above J5. The trace to the audio of the multi out connector gets cut and the pin is wired to the Audio Out pin of the NESRGB. A and B on the NESRGB are connected to pin 1 and 2 of the CPU.

Did I get that right? The official installation guide for the AV fami leaves audio out completely, but the above is what I've gathered between what you said and what I've read poking around the shmups thread (which admittedly, I haven't read 100%.)

I know most people would say that the audio of the AV Fami is fine as is, but the NESRGB seems to fix the volume levels for expanded audio, which is supposedly way off in the AV.
    Whatcha gonna do?

330 Mega Shock!!

So, basically you cut the traces to cart slot pins 45 and 46, a wire comes from pin 46 into a resistor (tim says 100k ohms) which is attached to the hole above J5. The trace to the audio of the multi out connector gets cut and the pin is wired to the Audio Out pin of the NESRGB. A and B on the NESRGB are connected to pin 1 and 2 of the CPU.

Did I get that right? The official installation guide for the AV fami leaves audio out completely, but the above is what I've gathered between what you said and what I've read poking around the shmups thread (which admittedly, I haven't read 100%.)

I know most people would say that the audio of the AV Fami is fine as is, but the NESRGB seems to fix the volume levels for expanded audio, which is supposedly way off in the AV.
    Yep that's right. The audio level depends on what value resistor you use though, I use a 100k ohm resistor which seems to work fine for Akumajou Densetsu and most other games that use external audio. Haven't tried it with the FDS yet, I really should pick up a standalone FDS again one of these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronjmill View Post
    y'know he might be right, the technology inside the DVD player or TV is notoriously unreliable. probably best to take it to your local technology inside the DVD player or TV repairman. that stuff's pretty technical.

Cheng's Errand Boy

Modbo install on a GH-005 (V2) mainboard. The first, I believe, ever to be done that's been documented.

Raiden's Valet

That's very nice wiring! What did you use to tack the wires down?

Cheng's Errand Boy

Quote Originally Posted by mikejmoffitt View Post
    That's very nice wiring! What did you use to tack the wires down?
    Very small hints of non conductive removable adhesive, here and there.

Fug:DDDDD

Needs more hot glue.

Robert Garcia's Butler

I just hot-glued in my pants.

Thread Information