Clean Mod Work Thread!

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi,

Thank you Voultar, it is a pity that the Japanese glue does not do anymore.
@Lemony Thank you dude, you're right Shadows' job was my inspiration.

Un saludo

Voultar

I give zero fucks about my customers
The only reason I'm posting this is because I see so many people do this totally ass-backwards, and I believe it deserves a mention.

The NES-101 Power LED mod, absolutely simple. But so many people fuck this up due to all of the "Youtube" video's demonstrating this.

My real gripe is when I see people pulling 5v and ground directly from the 7805, from the underside of the board, all the way on the back of the board...

Power and ground all over the place, find something close, and use it.

Also, it's a good idea to use quick connects so that you don't have to break-down and de-solder existing mod-work during future mods/repairs.

Shield back on.jpg

Simple..

Fully assembled.jpg

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
As I see it, there are a few main benefits:

1) Direct boot of PS1 & PS2 backups. No swapping, trigger disc, or other exploit needed to play any and all PS1 games.

2) No ESR Patching PS2 games. ESR compatibility isn't perfect, and all PS2 games that you want to play from burned media will have to be ESR patched. CD based PS2 games will have to be converted into DVD format in order to be ESR patched.

3) No memory card exploits. You don't have to keep a memory card in your PS2 dedicated to the FreeMcboot exploit. Of course, you can also use the same memory card for PS2 saves, but ultimately, your entire mod exists on a memory card that can be wiped in an instant.

4) (Kinda falls into #1) Imports!!!! PS1 & PS2 pressed imports will boot directly! You can't do that with a softmod unless you disc-swap. The hassle simply isn't worth it to me.

Pardon the late question here but can this mod be done to the OG PS2s or is this a mod only for the newer models?

Voultar

This chip can be installed from the V1's all the way up to the last slim release.

The Modbo originally didn't support the V1-V3 boards, I was the one who assembled the correct pin-out by combining several 15 year old diagrams and probing with the 'ole meter.

This was the 1st ever pre V3 board to ever be chipped with a Modbo 4, fully operational.

http://theisozone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=45361

Last edited:

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
This chip can be installed from the V1's all the way up to the last slim release.

The Modbo originally didn't support the V1-V3 boards, I was the one who assembled the correct pin-out by combining several 15 year old diagrams and probing with the 'ole meter.

This was the 1st ever pre V3 board to ever be chipped with a Modbo 4, fully operational.

http://theisozone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=45361

Wow very nice. I have an OG pS2 I've been wanting to do this to so I can run JP and NA PS2 games on. I've had this thing for years and it's run perfectly all this time. I would love to maybe add more to it. Thanks for the info tho, Very grateful.

Last edited:

lastcallhall

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Here's a recent MegaAMP installed in a Model 2 VA0 Genesis:

20150119_233011_zpsgbrvmbsu.jpg

Ground and 5V could have been trimmed up a bit, but all in all, I think it's as clean as can get, due to the location of the capacitors that need to be removed and tapped.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Is that Helder's new board? I could have used those switches on my last install...

Btw, I'd connect mono if I were you. It seems silly, but sometimes you get the itch to play and all you can find are the mono cables that the system came with or an rf switch.

lastcallhall

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Is that Helder's new board? I could have used those switches on my last install...

Btw, I'd connect mono if I were you. It seems silly, but sometimes you get the itch to play and all you can find are the mono cables that the system came with or an rf switch.

Yeah, it's Helders new board. Got it in the other day for a customer. I already shipped it back to him, but I will let him know about the mono audio. :)

Why are there 3 giant blobs on the board?

They're part of the install after removing some surface mount resistors.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Ah so you just bridged the SMD pads. Cleaner way to do it is to cut a lead from a cheap resistor or capacitor and bridge it with that, I usually hold it down with some jewelers tweezers while I solder. It's nice work but the globs are a bit large.

lastcallhall

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Yeah, I toyed with that idea, but in the end I had a larger spool of solder that I wasn't using so I just went with that. He did ask me to do 3 more systems for him though so I'll give the wire and tweezers a shot.

Voultar

Fellow member snes_collector sent in his v12 slim for some good 'ole mod-work.

2wnxma8.jpg

iw5etx.jpg

332ckgh.jpg

He'll be a happy boy when he receives this.

Voultar

Again, this is a super simple mod. But seeing that so many people have a tendency of fucking up even the simplest of things, it deserves a mention.

SNES-Mini LED install. Super basic, much like the Top-Loader/AV Famicom.

Find 5v and ground in an area that's nice and close to where you'll be positioning the LED.

2qn8676.jpg

Don't use 5 feet of cabling for your LED mod, just so that you'll have enough slack to pull the case off in the future. Use quick-connects, and make everyone's life easier.

2qjcfvp.jpg

vhgdy1.jpg

And, Boom.

2ytqii0.jpg

Everyone has to start somewhere, but don't get caught up in the ill teachings of all of these shitty Youtube video's and "how to" web-sites.

Last edited:

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
Recently JAMMA-Fied a Genesis 3!

temporary_zpsfec508bf.jpg

temporary_zpsac6307fb.jpg

temporary_zps5e146785.jpg

I've found that this requires less HW to make this possible.. no caps and resistors on the RGB lines, No lm1881n sync cleaner, as long as you pull the C Sync from the right place. I suspect that the genesis 2 is similar.

Voultar

Just finished this commission today;

zlw01h.jpg

s1hu8z.jpg

15dsa2q.jpg

2ahh6c5.jpg

I didn't realize my camera was blurry in some of these shots until everything was buttoned back up. Bleh.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Just finished this commission today;

zlw01h.jpg

s1hu8z.jpg

15dsa2q.jpg

2ahh6c5.jpg

I didn't realize my camera was blurry in some of these shots until everything was buttoned back up. Bleh.

I use these for the NESRGB. Gives you one giant connector so a client does not accidentally mix them up if they ever take it apart.

Voultar

I ran out of those. The singles were all that I had on hand and he wanted this back ASAP.

Here's a PC-Engine Duo that I completely went through a couple of days ago for a friend of mine (Johnny Millenium). A few corrosion repairs and complete re-cap.

2nk7xh2.jpg

jua2at.jpg

1qpf77.jpg

2ir7mzp.jpg

A better look at the typical corrosion found on these boards..

Corrosion on top of the solder mask.

288vaqh.jpg

Cleanup:

2rwxnrs.jpg

Corrosion on top of the solder mask.

2ljmkpt.jpg

Cleanup:

34ni9hu.jpg

Last edited:

Voultar

Excuse the double post, I wasn't able to edit my original one due to going over the maximum (8) picture count.

Not having an RGB capable device, 'ole John decided that he'd like to have some composite jacks on this girl, as well as S-Video.

So, I did just that:

2rgj95d.jpg

33uxx8h.jpg

9sxa1u.jpg

10newzr.jpg

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Where do you source your S-video jacks? The ones I source locally here are these:

PAN-MD-67000-4S-1.jpg

I make them work so they don't look ugly:

97b7e866-2019-461a-bd80-48eb4406dbaf_zps3b9c0ccd.jpg

But I'd rather have the ones you're using.

Voultar

That's a generic non-panel mount connector that I notched to be panel mountable. I typically use a generic S-Video panel mount connector with a lock washer, but the plastic of the PC-E Duo didn't give enough clearance to thread the washer for the connectors that I had. So as usual, I improvised.