Clean Mod Work Thread!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I had spare heat sinks so I figured why the hell not. I know it doesn't put out much in the way of heat, but those heat sinks were taking up space in my parts bin.

If you're going to put it on something, put it on the YM2610. Those things generate some good heat sometimes.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
He must be viewing his work through glue goggles cause I'm not seeing any resemblance.

He got some of the circuits for the old RGB NES mod material from Baku and claimed it as his own. That big wad of glue in the AV Famicom I posted is the Baku Top Gun PPU circuit.

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
For those who remember the Genesis I got that was fucked up by RetroRepairTips, here's what it looks like now:
DSCN1039_zps91d1ff36.jpg

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
very nice apollo! Where did you get the quickdisconnects from? I have been wanting to do something like that with my setups but felt flat spade connectors were to big and ghetto

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
very nice apollo! Where did you get the quickdisconnects from? I have been wanting to do something like that with my setups but felt flat spade connectors were to big and ghetto

The cheapest place to get the is probably the Chinese sellers on eBay unfortunately. You can get 100 connectors for a few bucks. Search for Dupont on eBay. You need to buy the connector housings, the pins, and a crimper if you don't have one. You can just use standard pin headers with them.

fluxcore

Another Striker
The dupont connectors are a very good idea. I've been annoyed with a couple of my mega drive mods that now tie the two case parts together - might need to pinch this setup.

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Welp, I'm pleased to say there's a happy ending to the worst modded Genesis ever! I got everything all finished tonight and here are some pics of the top half, followed by a pic of the system in action. I did have to resort to using hot glue for mounting the blue LED, but I used a high temp gun so it's not crappy and stringy. I was going to take a few more pics but then my camera ran dry.

DSCN1041_zps18dfec8b.jpg

DSCN1042_zpsbd53a5d5.jpg

DSCN1043_zps3fe23500.jpg

DSCN1044_zpsdcf47dde.jpg

DSCN1046_zpsb94d47c9.jpg

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Nice job!

I especially like the cable management.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
White PC Engine RGB mod.

IMG_1326.jpg

ApolloBoy is probably familiar with that amp design. ;)

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
The THS7314 is a great little chip, how do you like it compared to the transistor-based amp?

I like it however the video is a little too bright. The outputting 75 ohm resistors might need to be raised.

Still experimenting.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
I finished my N64 RGB mod today. Another mod without any glue. I used neoprene padding and double sided sticky tape to secure the amp to the N64 PCB. I took a bunch of other pictures as I did the mod and will try to compile it into a short tutorial for the tech section sometime this week.

duo_r

Armored Scrum Object
Stereo Modded NES, with remote reset capability and also rewired for enhanced famicom sound:

5qxt.jpg

3swd.jpg

here you can see a tiny button underneat the bottom right of the dog bone - that resets the NES. Works nice with my everdrive:

kktg.jpg

Custom label design layout, cut the SD slots, and painted

2013052895105107.jpg

201305142331391.jpg

Video modded TG-16 and custom power light:

img0021eu2.jpg

1st documented Controller port installed on a Turbo Express, this one also has an upgraded LCD :

20120803182743200.jpg

Sega Nomad - with SMS mode enabled, reset button installed, added a 2 player port, and s-video out, oh and an upgraded LCD screen
imagextjj.jpg

imagehpa.jpg

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Installed one of my RGB amps inside a Duo-R:

IMG_1470.JPG

duo_r

Armored Scrum Object
Can you link the seller couldn't find them. Do they sell the crimper etc?

The cheapest place to get the is probably the Chinese sellers on eBay unfortunately. You can get 100 connectors for a few bucks. Search for Dupont on eBay. You need to buy the connector housings, the pins, and a crimper if you don't have one. You can just use standard pin headers with them.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
RGB modded a Supergrafx that I just received:

IMG_1480.JPG

IMG_1481.JPG