Clean Mod Work Thread!

Voultar

I give zero fucks about my customers
I totally forgot to load all of my solder joints up with hot-glue.

I'm gonna call my Grandma and ask her if I can borrow the hot-glue gun she uses to make all of those nifty Christmas sweaters for the childrens.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Modded one of the Bandridge 5 port scart switches.

Added a Sync stripper circuit, enable/bypass switch and external PSU connection for the sync stripper (I don't like powering them from Scart power if at all possible).

photo%25201.JPG

photo%25202.JPG

I suppose it could be a bit neater, but meh.

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
Very nice and clean mod like always Broken.

I have a Bandridge 5 port switch like that on it way to XX so he turn it into a JP21 switch.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member

I have a Bandridge 5 port switch like that on it way to XX so he turn it into a JP21 switch.

Inputs and outputs?

Cause if so, that's quite a bit of work.

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
4 Inputs only . For the output i will get a cable euro male to xrgb .

But i know it alot of work but there isn't much choices for JP21 switches.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
LOL I feel for James then cause that's a whole lotta trace cutting and jumper wiring.

Would love to see pics when he is done.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
LOL I feel for James then cause that's a whole lotta trace cutting and jumper wiring.

Wouldn't it a whole lot easier to rewire the male-male cable that connects to the hub to the xrgb?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Wouldn't it a whole lot easier to rewire the male-male cable that connects to the hub to the xrgb?

no. Cause internally the bandridge assumes Euro scart with all the ground pins connected together and audio and sync pins being transposed from the input to output pins. Several of those pins would ground out a JP21 video channel.

you would have to cut traces and rewire the switch for JP21.

Last edited:

segasonicfan

Camel Slug

prosolis

n00b
I love that X68k mod.

I can't tell from the pictures.. What are you using for storage? CF card?

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Just finished my last ever commission today, I was sent six consoles by someone on AtariAge (an SNES mini, SMS, Genesis, TG-16 and two AESes) and I got the last console of the lot finished. Here's pics of the AESes; they both have S-video, stereo audio, Unibios and a power LED inside the reset button, and I also did an RGB bypass on the 9V console.

ng1_zps5fe05242.jpg

ng2_zpsed96c6ad.jpg

ng3_zps71189961.jpg

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Yeah, I've kinda lost the energy for it and I've been job hunting like crazy recently, so I decided it was time to end it for good unfortunately.

I did the same recently as well. It gets old and becomes more of a hassle than fun over time.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

Inputs and outputs?

Cause if so, that's quite a bit of work.

4 Inputs only . For the output i will get a cable euro male to xrgb .

But i know it alot of work but there isn't much choices for JP21 switches.

Yup, it's a lot of work but since I've done it before it doesn't take me as long as my first one but still long, about 2.5 hours. I've ordered two boxes that I will pre-mod so I don't have to make any any time soon.

I forgot to take pics but if I remember next time I will. You have to cut a lot of traces and also cut some of the ground plane around certain pins. You don't need to cut the traces for Red and Blanking since they are the same for both pinouts but that's the only breaks...lol

Voultar

More PS2 Love!

Phat (V9) Modbo 4 PS2 Install:

2yp1d2f.jpg

b7idtk.jpg

saxysn.jpg

Slim (V14) Modbo 4 PS2 Install:

34iq0d5.jpg

sewup5.jpg

v3ovhv.jpg

Last edited:

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Voultar,

That work looks excellent. I have a number of those modbo chips but never installed one. Can you tell me what's the advantage of a hardware modchip vs. the Free McBoot soft mod? When these mods were popular I was not following the technology and a lot of the old links and forums which explained the differences no longer exist or are outdated.

Voultar

Voultar,

That work looks excellent. I have a number of those modbo chips but never installed one. Can you tell me what's the advantage of a hardware modchip vs. the Free McBoot soft mod? When these mods were popular I was not following the technology and a lot of the old links and forums which explained the differences no longer exist or are outdated.

As I see it, there are a few main benefits:

1) Direct boot of PS1 & PS2 backups. No swapping, trigger disc, or other exploit needed to play any and all PS1 games.

2) No ESR Patching PS2 games. ESR compatibility isn't perfect, and all PS2 games that you want to play from burned media will have to be ESR patched. CD based PS2 games will have to be converted into DVD format in order to be ESR patched.

3) No memory card exploits. You don't have to keep a memory card in your PS2 dedicated to the FreeMcboot exploit. Of course, you can also use the same memory card for PS2 saves, but ultimately, your entire mod exists on a memory card that can be wiped in an instant.

4) (Kinda falls into #1) Imports!!!! PS1 & PS2 pressed imports will boot directly! You can't do that with a softmod unless you disc-swap. The hassle simply isn't worth it to me.

Last edited:

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Thanks Voultar, I appreciate the concise summary. I have both the fat model and slim model, can you comment on which is easier to mod or any advantage in modding one vs the other?

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
one thing that I was never able to figure out is backups of PS2 games with the original fat PS2s.. I could never get them working. I ended up transferring the ISO to the HDD from my PC.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
I agree, PS2 modchips are painful installs. How long did that take you to get it looking so perfect?

one thing that I was never able to figure out is backups of PS2 games with the original fat PS2s.. I could never get them working. I ended up transferring the ISO to the HDD from my PC.

It shouldn't be much different than a burned game for any other system. Could the burnable media you were using not have worked with your system?

Voultar

Thanks Voultar, I appreciate the concise summary. I have both the fat model and slim model, can you comment on which is easier to mod or any advantage in modding one vs the other?

I'd recommend a V1-V9 Phat PS2, coupled with a Network Adapter and Hard-Disk with a capacity of your liking.
Booting games from hard-disk is great. That's the real caveat to the PS2 Slim. You can of course install a hard-disk in a couple of Slim models, it's work, however.

I agree, PS2 modchips are painful installs. How long did that take you to get it looking so perfect?

It shouldn't be much different than a burned game for any other system. Could the burnable media you were using not have worked with your system?

Factoring in the breaking down and re-assembly, I can chip a phat and/or slim in around 45-65 minutes. There's a process involved with PS2 chipping, and once you become familiar with the main-board and where you can pull signals from, it's not so bad. Like anything else, it takes practice.

Last edited:

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
That's the real caveat to the PS2 Slim. You can of course install a hard-disk in a couple of Slim models, it's work, however.
That, and you have to use a second PSU just for the hard drive which can be a PITA.