Clean Mod Work Thread!

Ash Burton

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Some nice work here! If anyone can help me with doing an S-video mod for a snes mini drop me a pm.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
Some nice work here! If anyone can help me with doing an S-video mod for a snes mini drop me a pm.

68113227.jpg
:D if you want to hack in a port, you can grab the s-video signal from the bottom of the multi out port

EDIT: Sorry about that I just saw the "mini" in your post. Since thats the case you will need to grab chroma and luma from the encode chip and then tone it down with some caps and resistors. Instructions can be found HERE

I always despise soldering to the pins of the surface mount chips. every time I end up bridging legs and having to clean it up and attempt it again. The model 2 genesis have the pins right next to each other and always makes for some fun. Nothing like soldering one wire on just to have the heat unsolder the other wire!

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
68113227.jpg
:D if you want to hack in a port, you can grab the s-video signal from the bottom of the multi out port

You left out a step.

Like adding S-video to the Mini to begin with. Need to mod it first to even get s-video.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
I amended my post, havnt had the required amount of coffee this morning for proper functionality!

Ash Burton

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Only thing I solder is my pinball machines, have no patience or time for this work. Seen a deal on ebay for $60 to pull off the mod, does that sound right?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Only thing I solder is my pinball machines, have no patience or time for this work. Seen a deal on ebay for $60 to pull off the mod, does that sound right?

$60!!

It's like $1 in parts. Maybe 30 or 40 minutes of someone's time.

Sounds like I need to open up a dedicated modding service.

Rawdog Console Mods - No lube, All shaft.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'd charge $60 for my time to do it, but my time is expensive and this is why I don't do mods for people.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
I'd charge $60 for my time to do it, but my time is expensive and this is why I don't do mods for people.

You damn right! I've never had people complain about my prices. Then again, they're generally folks that know I already work 12-16 hours a day for da man.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
You damn right! I've never had people complain about my prices. Then again, they're generally folks that know I already work 12-16 hours a day for da man.

That's how it is with me. Most of the people I know capible of doing it will either do it themselves or pay me cause their time is worth more then mine. General I just bid jobs instead of telling them a hourly rate.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
That's how it is with me. Most of the people I know capible of doing it will either do it themselves or pay me cause their time is worth more then mine. General I just bid jobs instead of telling them a hourly rate.

I wish I was more well known so I could bid on work! All I got is word of mouth and some business cards at my buddy's shop. It's aiight tho. I'm working on a piece to grab some attention around here. Get some of that rich yuppie/hipster jackass cash.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
I was like that. What I have been doing inbetween commissions is snagging low cost systems from c-list or hitting up stores with stacks of broken systems. Once I get a system I mod it and offer it up for trade or dump it back on craigslist. Gotten lots of business doing the trading as people see what can be done then ask if I can do it to their personal system or do a different configuration.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

Hey Skips, I just noticed you've got a wire going to the cart slot here, is that for expansion audio? I'm curious, trying to get my facts straight before I do it to mine since I should get my system within the next few days.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Was I supposed to cut the trace going to that pin for the expanded audio? In the pic it looks like the trace has been cut. Or is that only for the JP systems?

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Yes its for the expanded audio. I also find it hilarious that people are using and editing the pictures i posted instead of taking the time to do the work themselves. You also don't have to use the kits audio though. I simply do it because I can adjust the level of the expanded audio channels and I personally like it more than the stock audio circuit. There is also less buzz in the audio, possibly none depending on your sound setup. I have 0 buzz in mine.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Was I supposed to cut the trace going to that pin for the expanded audio? In the pic it looks like the trace has been cut. Or is that only for the JP systems?

You cut the trace on the Famicom. If you don't it sounds way off balanced even with the correct resistors. I cut pins 45 and 46 and pull the expanded audio off pin 46. If you don't use pin 46 on the Famicom the star in Gimmick! wont have any sound. I had forgot to cut both traces when I took that picture and was still using pin 45 only.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
So, basically you cut the traces to cart slot pins 45 and 46, a wire comes from pin 46 into a resistor (tim says 100k ohms) which is attached to the hole above J5. The trace to the audio of the multi out connector gets cut and the pin is wired to the Audio Out pin of the NESRGB. A and B on the NESRGB are connected to pin 1 and 2 of the CPU.

Did I get that right? The official installation guide for the AV fami leaves audio out completely, but the above is what I've gathered between what you said and what I've read poking around the shmups thread (which admittedly, I haven't read 100%.)

I know most people would say that the audio of the AV Fami is fine as is, but the NESRGB seems to fix the volume levels for expanded audio, which is supposedly way off in the AV.

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
So, basically you cut the traces to cart slot pins 45 and 46, a wire comes from pin 46 into a resistor (tim says 100k ohms) which is attached to the hole above J5. The trace to the audio of the multi out connector gets cut and the pin is wired to the Audio Out pin of the NESRGB. A and B on the NESRGB are connected to pin 1 and 2 of the CPU.

Did I get that right? The official installation guide for the AV fami leaves audio out completely, but the above is what I've gathered between what you said and what I've read poking around the shmups thread (which admittedly, I haven't read 100%.)

I know most people would say that the audio of the AV Fami is fine as is, but the NESRGB seems to fix the volume levels for expanded audio, which is supposedly way off in the AV.
Yep that's right. The audio level depends on what value resistor you use though, I use a 100k ohm resistor which seems to work fine for Akumajou Densetsu and most other games that use external audio. Haven't tried it with the FDS yet, I really should pick up a standalone FDS again one of these days.

Voultar

I give zero fucks about my customers
Modbo install on a GH-005 (V2) mainboard. The first, I believe, ever to be done that's been documented.

106n8s8.jpg

2ahs9cx.jpg

2zgzrpg.jpg

2uf3hvl.jpg