Clean Mod Work Thread!

Voultar

I give zero fucks about my customers
I'm not sure, but I believe so. He sent me a few blanks to build up long ago to play with. I highly recommend them.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
PC Engine RGM Mod

What to do when you're home on a sunny summer sunday?

Go to the beach! Yeah... not alone tho!

So, I was bored and decided to do a PC Engine RGB mod on my NOS Core Grafx. I feel happy and bad at the same time! :scratch:
It's a never used unit. But even if I keep it or decide to part with, one day or another it had to have an RGB mod so... yeah... :smirk:

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Not sure if this is off topic, but does anyone know someone I could send my SNES Mini to for some mod work? I'm trying to get digital audio of out the thing, but I think I need someone to work on it properly.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Xian Xi, Voultar, Kiel

Roll the dice. They're all good on that.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Reasonably clean SuperGrafx RGB mod:

2016-08-02 19.52.26.jpg

The additional orange wire you can see connected to the din is my little variation on the mod to give the correct 4:3 aspect ratio switching - but this is only applicable for European RGB Scart TV's.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Looking good.

Here is the last SuperGrafx RGB install I did a couple months ago:

IMG_0161.JPG

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Looking good.

Here is the last SuperGrafx RGB install I did a couple months ago:

IMG_0161.JPG

Gotta say yours looks that little bit cleaner ;)
I will probably be adding two blue power LED's - initial idea is to affix them using double sided tape so they give a glow from under these two vents:

NEC_SuperGrafx_01.jpg

That will also be an opportunity to shorten the cable lengths and redo the cable tie downs to slightly improve the overall aesthetics of the mod.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Anyone here good with custom controller cables or can recommend me someone who is (preferably in the US)? In my infinite ignorance, I bought some Undamned DB15 USB decoders for my Windy Supergun without realizing that the pinouts could be (and are) different. After doing some research, I have reasonable confidence that I could Frankenstein something together that works, but would rather have something that doesn't look heinous and make me want to throw up when I look at it.

Specific requirements and pinouts:

Spoiler:
* Need 2 cables
* 3 ft. female-to-male DB15
* Would prefer black cable but other colors aren't a deal breaker

Undamned DB15 USB Decoder pinout:
1. GND
2. K3
3. Select
4. K1
5. P2
6. Right
7. Down
8. +5v
9. Not used
10. K2
11. Start
12. P3
13. P1
14. Left
15. Up

Windy Supergun pinout:
1. GND
2. K2
3. Select
4. D
5. B
6. Right
7. Down
8. +5v
9. K1
10. K3
11. Start
12. C
13. A
14. Left
15. Up
[/LIST]

Willing to pay a fair price + extra for beer money.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Anyone here good with custom controller cables or can recommend me someone who is (preferably in the US)? In my infinite ignorance, I bought some Undamned DB15 USB decoders for my Windy Supergun without realizing that the pinouts could be (and are) different. After doing some research, I have reasonable confidence that I could Frankenstein something together that works, but would rather have something that doesn't look heinous and make me want to throw up when I look at it.

Specific requirements and pinouts:

Spoiler:
* Need 2 cables
* 3 ft. female-to-male DB15
* Would prefer black cable but other colors aren't a deal breaker

Undamned DB15 USB Decoder pinout:
1. GND
2. K3
3. Select
4. K1
5. P2
6. Right
7. Down
8. +5v
9. Not used
10. K2
11. Start
12. P3
13. P1
14. Left
15. Up

Windy Supergun pinout:
1. GND
2. K2
3. Select
4. D
5. B
6. Right
7. Down
8. +5v
9. K1
10. K3
11. Start
12. C
13. A
14. Left
15. Up
[/LIST]

Willing to pay a fair price + extra for beer money.

You only need to swap three lines it seems, what does the encoder look like on the inside?

Voultar

I thought I'd share some of my PCB designs!

I've designed a new RGB circuit for all PC-E variants (including Duo's) that's based around the THS7374. It differs from the THS7314 by being a 4 channel driver, in addition to being able to turn "off" the LPF that's hardwired in the THS7314. Disabling the low-pass filter yields a considerably sharper image. I use the 4th channel of THS7374 to properly drive C-Sync output, so no additional mod is needed. I have both a Duo and PC-Engine/Core-Grafx footprint designed and tested. The PC-E/CG variant solders directly to the expansion bus pinout for simplicity. This board also attenuates the output signals to .7vPP for 75 ohm loads. Meaning, the image/colors aren't washed out or are overly bright.

KXvTQ04.png

Also, for the OG PC-E, I've built a "proper" audio-driver for the stereo outputs found on the expansion bus. These inputs are line-level off of the pins and aren't driven. So this little board will really "wake-up" that 'ole white PC-E.

VWAf2jT.png

I've also designed a more competent N64RGB mod for the NS1 mainboard revisions. This board is also designed around the THS7374, which also has the sharper image output with the LPF disabled. There's an LM1881 onboard that's properly terminated to provide TTL C-Sync for N64 mainboard revisions (CPU-04) that doesn't provide a "simple" C-Sync output.

Nevermind the dodgy soldering, this is just a quick test jig that I whipped up to probe.

TIxJNwV.jpg

N782oUZ.jpg

QzYj1pI.jpg

There's also a variant of this for the SNES 1CHIP & Mini that properly attenuates the video output to the correct level, with all of those goodies on there, too.

Last edited:

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Does that N64 amp work on every PAL board?

It's the only system I don't have RGB. Comps(h)ite is inacceptable!

Voultar

C-Sync on the NTSC system is actually voltage on the PAL system. An alteration would have to be made as there is no C-Sync output from the multi-out.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
C-Sync on the NTSC system is actually voltage on the PAL system. An alteration would have to be made as there is no C-Sync output from the multi-out.

well, a trace cutting and jumper wire has never hurt anybody ;)

I would mind as long as it would warrant a nice RGB mod on my N64. I don't love the system by any means, but I can't stand playing Mario or Majora's Mask on such a crappy picture. I'm fine with the game speed as they were PAL optimized tho.

Voultar

Yeah, just cut the trace and all will be well. :)

The board generates its own C-Sync anyways, so that's not a problem. And it's quite a nice picture. I'm not very familiar with PAL mainboard revisions, but in order for this board to work, it must have the video encoder onboard. (NS1 serial numbers here in the States)

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Since two of the three are already connected, those can just be remapped, you will need however to connect the K1(9) from the supergun to pin 4 of the device.

Yeah, I was kind of hoping to avoid touching the inside of the supergun.

Shakes

n00b
I thought I'd share some of my PCB designs!

I've designed a new RGB circuit for all PC-E variants (including Duo's) that's based around the THS7374. It differs from the THS7314 by being a 4 channel driver, in addition to being able to turn "off" the LPF that's hardwired in the THS7314. Disabling the low-pass filter yields a considerably sharper image. I use the 4th channel of THS7374 to properly drive C-Sync output, so no additional mod is needed. I have both a Duo and PC-Engine/Core-Grafx footprint designed and tested. The PC-E/CG variant solders directly to the expansion bus pinout for simplicity. This board also attenuates the output signals to .7vPP for 75 ohm loads. Meaning, the image/colors aren't washed out or are overly bright.

Does your version have the same issues with jailbars as the other bypass boards? Are the resistor fixes necessary?

Voultar

The jailbars are a result of coupling on the mainboard, it has nothing to do with the amp design itself. Easily fixed, though! :)

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
In my experience jailbars are random from system to system even with the same amp. The Duo I use now had the worst jailbars I've ever seen when I first did the mod, added the cap fix and it's beautiful and clean now.

Voultar

SuperGrafx Recap and RGB Install:

(Using an old Rev. of the board I designed. There's now a sync-separator on-board that can be toggled to output either TTL C-Sync or a C-Sync for 75 ohm terminations.)

uVZHzLb.jpg

Sw8IpFC.jpg

Last edited:

FBX

Quiz Detective
Necro bump, but it's pertinent for Google searches. Here's my min-max mod work using Voultar's revision .69 board on my Super Grafx:

lh2fXHR.jpg

About as efficient as it can get. You could argue the lines to the din could be shortened a little bit, but other than that, this is about as neatly compact as you can get for an RGB bypass job on the Super Grafx. Of course I also color-coded the wires, and in order to avoid snipping the video pin for csync isolation, I just removed the R159 resistor underneath that feeds into it. Simple and clean that way.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Very nice. I want to do it.

If I ever mod my brother's Duo I'll have to use sync on composite. I have an obsession with keeping things as stock as possible, and I want the old AV cable to still work. Not that we'll probably ever use it again. My brother will appreciate that.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Necro bump, but it's pertinent for Google searches. Here's my min-max mod work using Voultar's revision .69 board on my Super Grafx:

lh2fXHR.jpg

About as efficient as it can get. You could argue the lines to the din could be shortened a little bit, but other than that, this is about as neatly compact as you can get for an RGB bypass job on the Super Grafx. Of course I also color-coded the wires, and in order to avoid snipping the video pin for csync isolation, I just removed the R159 resistor underneath that feeds into it. Simple and clean that way.

Wow, that looks great man! Hell yeah I really appreciate clean mod work can look at it all day.