Clean Mod Work Thread!

Beelay

New Challenger
This thread is fantastic to pore over!
I've done the occasional mod (N64 RGB for a friend, Region switch on my Model 1 PAL Megadrive, button replacement in a busted AES controller). They look clean on the outside but it's all spaghetti on the inside, so these are a nice change to look at! Inspiring!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Feel free to look at what others are doing and adapt the techniques. Since Skips started the clean mod crusade my own stuff looks 100% better as a result.

leonk

Marked Wolf
Here are some of the other MODs I've done for me / customers recently (PM me if interested - I typically do nes reproductions but can do mods as well)

Sega Nomad LED backlit replacement:

Gameboy / gameboy pocket backlight:

Gameboy Advance backlit LCD replacement (no longer offered - can't source LCD):

NESRGB installs (nes top loader, front loader, famicom AV):

Sega naomi mods:
- null pics
- latest bios upgrades
- piforcetools systems
- CF systems

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
I am pretty new to modding so this thread was really awesome to get an idea of what the work of the pros look like.

I have been able to do 2 mods so far ... Modified my N64 for RGB and did the composite mod on a Atari 2600.

Here the end result , forgot to take a pic inside.

atari2600.jpg

It really cool to be able to connect the Atari to my xrgb-mini hehe.

Voultar

I give zero fucks about my customers
I know this thread is all about clean internal mod work, but I wanted to share my latest restoration project.

**56K Warning**

Look at the beautiful turd that arrived by mail today:

346nla8.jpg

2gy4uio.jpg

But with a little effort..

2h51kly.jpg

bhyipe.jpg

The resurrection is near!!

29gfj11.jpg

I'm 80% finished restoring the casings, but here's a nice before & after shot:

a9pk6p.jpg

Voultar

The yellowing itself was fairly significant, the 4th picture down was taken pre 20/100 h202 cocktail treatment. I'd say that it was 60% nicotine stains, and 40% plastic yellowing.

The trick to removing debris without being abrasive with the casings or artwork is the micro-sponge.

EDIT:

I just finished the region mod for the 'ole Duo-R. I wanted to do a clean, short-wire installation. I also didn't want to cut any of the pins from the Hu-Card slot, so I de-soldered the entire unit and simply lifted the pins that I needed to grab signals from. This was my first rodeo, so I experimented around until I found an install method that I felt was worthy.

257deo8.jpg

2hzplp5.jpg

Complete Heat.jpg

Last edited:

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
The yellowing itself was fairly significant, the 4th picture down was taken pre 20/100 h202 cocktail treatment. I'd say that it was 60% nicotine stains, and 40% plastic yellowing.

The trick to removing debris without being abrasive with the casings or artwork is the micro-sponge.

EDIT:

I just finished the region mod for the 'ole Duo-R. I wanted to do a clean, short-wire installation. I also didn't want to cut any of the pins from the Hu-Card slot, so I de-soldered the entire unit and simply lifted the pins that I needed to grab signals from. This was my first rodeo, so I experimented around until I found an install method that I felt was worthy.

I really like that approach. I wouldn't have thought of that either! Kudos in your region modding :D

Voultar

Thanks again for sending me the schematic! I had fun building it.

EDIT:

I'm finished with this old girl. I've essentially done everything that I wanted to do.

Here's a nice little, low quality video to show'r off a little.

Last edited:

seanami

n00b
Here are some of the other MODs I've done for me / customers recently (PM me if interested - I typically do nes reproductions but can do mods as well)

Sega Nomad LED backlit replacement:

For the Nomad, where did you source the screen from? Having trouble finding a good one that doesn't flash av inputs everytime I turn it on

vvv

n00b
This thread is an inspiration. Here is my contribution

A clean AV Famicom NESRGB mod I did for a customer.

Attachments

• nesrgb.jpg
    nesrgb.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 302

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Gamecube component/rgb/vga mod

IMG_5069_zps387f6551.jpg

IMG_5066_zps5550a90d.jpg

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Two top loaders with snes style back panels, a duo rx, and a twin fami banged out all with RGB.

IMG_5277_zpsba9c7ca7.jpg

And the latest I did was two PCE IFUs RGB modded with snes style sockets and a twin fami with the socket as well. The twin also does s-video and composite through the socket:cool:

IMG_5418_zps2d034d95.jpg

Last edited:

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Looks good Kiel. E showed me a couple pics of your work a few days ago at my place... I dig, I dig. ;)

mikey

Marked Wolf
And the latest I did was two PCE IFUs RGB modded with snes style sockets and a twin fami with the socket as well. The twin also does s-video and composite through the socket:cool:

IMG_5418_zps2d034d95.jpg

Those look awesome, really clean!

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Really love that job Kiel.
The connectors fit in right in the spot.

Congrats.