Thread: Genesis DOESn't work right...

Alfred Garcia's Butler

Genesis DOESn't work right...

Well, I got some new Genesis and Master System games this weekend and I was trying them out on my ol' model 1 Genesis and it's been acting funny.

When I first started I had the Power Base Converter on it and I was able to play some Master System games without any troubles, Alf, Ghostbusters, Shinobi, they all worked fine. Then I took the base off and tried some Genesis games.

Out of all I tried only Virtua Racing worked. The system powers up and I get the license screen and it doesn't boot the game up. I have no idea why the Power Base and Virtua Racing works but my other games don't.

I took the system apart and shot the inside with some canned air. I also took an old credit card, clean rag and some 80-20 rubbing alcohol and cleaned the cart slot and let it dry and I've got the same results. Only Virtua Racing works. It doesn't like Earthworm Jim, Comix Zone, Sonic, just Virtua Racing.

Anybody know what's up? I've got it hooked up through the RF going into a Plasma screen. The system has worked fine in the past and never gave me any troubles. I always make sure all of my games are cleaned before I use them. I'm going to try again this afternoon to see if I can figure out what's up with this thing.

Sounds like the games themselves need cleaned rather than the console cart slot.
    Check out Todd's Nerd Cave on Youtube!

[Rot] 1:50 pm: ladyboys are HAWT!

Amano's Drinking Buddy

I use brasso to polish the pins in my carts To a nice shine it works very well for the very grungy carts. Make sure you open the carts and clean carefully to avoid the board.
    "I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul."
    3DS Friend code: 4811-7358-8350

Quote Originally Posted by ObeyMyEgo View Post
    ggallegos1 Is a cock sucking faggot. That is all.

Kuroko's Training Dummy

hmmm both the converter and vr are bigger in size, and the pins might be slightly wider, could it be you got loose contacts? Do you leave a game cart inside ur genesis when not in use? U might just need to make some pressure upwards or towards you with 1 of those games that doesnt work to see it that is the issue, if so it can be easily fixed with a very tiny screwdriver by gently pulling the pin contacts towards each other in ur genesis slot

330 Mega Shock!!

Quote Originally Posted by ggallegos1 View Post
    I use brasso to polish the pins in my carts To a nice shine it works very well for the very grungy carts. Make sure you open the carts and clean carefully to avoid the board.
    If you use Brasso be super careful with it, as it can actually take the finish off the contacts if you're too vigorous with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronjmill View Post
    y'know he might be right, the technology inside the DVD player or TV is notoriously unreliable. probably best to take it to your local technology inside the DVD player or TV repairman. that stuff's pretty technical.

Quote Originally Posted by ApolloBoy View Post
    If you use Brasso be super careful with it, as it can actually take the finish off the contacts if you're too vigorous with it.
    Also make sure after using Brasso on the contacts that you wipe the contacts again with a swab and some isopropyl alcohol.

Brasso leaves behind a film that should be cleaned off.
    Check out Todd's Nerd Cave on Youtube!

[Rot] 1:50 pm: ladyboys are HAWT!

Morden's Lackey

I use Brasso and isopropyl alcohol on all used carts. I then store the games in zip-lock bags.

Armored Scrum Object

Are you using the original power supply? (Model 1602-1) I don't know why Virtua Racer would be the only Genesis game to work, just throwing out ideas.

Krauser's Henchman

I have a model VA7 laying around that I could send you if your interested, Or I could sell you my personal one that is av, s-video, jpn/eng and 50/60hz switches installed for $60 shipped!

Classic Game Room Review of my reproduction mini marquees Here

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy KGB View Post
    Calm down and stop being such a twat

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

I get that if a cart I pick up/use is dirty. Sometimes, I'll grab something new put it aside and forget that I haven't cleaned the contacts.

As others have mentioned, a little rubbing alcohol and some q-tips goes a long way.

Thread Information