Is this monitor salvagable?

Krayt88

New Challenger
Hey guys, hoping you all might be able to help me out. The monitor in my 4 slot isn't looking so good. At first the colors were just all headed towards a common pale green hue, making games like Bust-A-Move hard to play, and games like Metal Slug X just look bad. But now it also has these red lines running through it horizontally (see attached picture if you please. Sorry for the flash glare).

My question here is this: is this monitor fixable or should I just invest in a new (or just working) one? If it can be salvaged, how do you suggest doing so?

Thanks you in advance,
Kyle

Attachments

• 4slot screen.jpg
    4slot screen.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 177

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
If you've tried adjusting everything on the monitor, it sounds like a cap kit, what model is the chassis? Do the lines scroll or stay stationary?

Last edited:

Krayt88

New Challenger
I've tried adjusting the various holds and such and it hasn't helped any. I wasn't able to get into the back of the cab to check the chassis number (cab is not at home right now). The red lines are stationary. I think this screenshot better illustrates the color issues as well. On this demo screen, the colors of the bubbles are supposed to be red, blue, yellow, and green. Instead, they are black, blue, and then a pale yellowish color for the other two.
4slot screen2.jpg

aclbandit

Another Striker
I've tried adjusting the various holds and such and it hasn't helped any. I wasn't able to get into the back of the cab to check the chassis number (cab is not at home right now). The red lines are stationary. I think this screenshot better illustrates the color issues as well. On this demo screen, the colors of the bubbles are supposed to be red, blue, yellow, and green. Instead, they are black, blue, and then a pale yellowish color for the other two.
View attachment 9348

Mine looks like that when the contrast is too low and the brightness is too high. I'm assuming you've tried that, but just in case...
If dropping either of those fixes it (but it's too dark), you might be able to turn up the volts on the flyback and get it bright enough after.

Elsewise... I'd say "cap kit."

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
You possibly need a cap kit or a rejuvenation on the CRT tube itself. Either way that monitor can be saved, unless the electron guns are on the way out.

ECZangief

The Real Al Bundy
Those are vertical retrace lines. White lines indicate a problem in the blanking circuit, however I recall from watching a Fromm talk that colored retrace lines are related to a different problem.

This lecture touches on the white lines at around 1:12:00. I'm certain he goes into more depth later but I haven't made it that far.

http://youtu.be/YsZ5PJB-w2s

Last edited:

Krayt88

New Challenger
Thanks for all the replies, everyone.

To be honest, the red lines might just be an adjustment issue as its a pretty new symptom, but the faded/darker colors has been going on for a while and I'm almost positive that a simple twist of the control nobs isn't going to do the trick. It started in the bottom right corner of the screen with some colors being off, but it has now spread to the entire screen over time. I've heard that a cap kit is likely to fix the issue, but I just wanted to get a few opinions from those more knowledgeable than myself first.

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
Could be a cap kit. As said before the retrace lines can be adjusted out using the contrast and brightness. You would need access to the flyback to do so properly though. If you want someone to do the cap kit for you I have kits in stock and I can do it for a fee.

Do me a favor. Go do the color test in the manager's screen. The photos look almost as if you are missing red. If that is the case I can fix that issue for you as well.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
G2 (Screen) voltage too high for your retrace lines, that's just what I've been told over the years so perhaps don't take it at face value.

Missing colors are possibly from a dead transistor or something disconnected down the line. I don't know it off-hand but there's a way you short two legs of a transistor and if your video does one thing it's bad and if it does a different thing then something else is bad. Last time I needed to probe a monitor like this a friend of mine who was helping did that trick and I never really asked him to explain, sorry I can't be more detailed.

thieslo

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
There is a fellow over at KLOV (Killer List of Video Games) forums who does a lot of repair work on the WG monitors. He would probably be a good guy to ask. His name is buffet. He also does repairs of the chassis if you don't feel like doing the repair work yourself, but he should be able to tell you if your tube is part of the issue as well.

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
I can repair his monitor if he doesn't want to do it himself also. As long as it isn't a tube problem which I doubt this is.