Hyper-64 in California back in the day

alby13

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I can't even seem to remember seeing one in the arcade back in the day. Maybe SamSho once. I'm not even sure. Anyone know if it was anywhere in the Southern California area?

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
I know SNK did testing at Sunnyvale's Golfland (Nor Cal however). I saw a SS64 there as well as a Road Edge.

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
There was one in the Tilt arcade in Tyler Mall, Riverside CA. That was 97 or 98 I think? Big screen cab.

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
I've heard that Beast Busters: Second Nightmare is the most common Hyper 64 game outside Japan, but I've never seen one or any other Hyper game in the wild myself.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
There was one in the Tilt arcade in Tyler Mall, Riverside CA. That was 97 or 98 I think? Big screen cab.

I remember playing one of the Hyper 64 SamSho games in a mall arcade in the LA area around that time. The first and only time I've ever seen/played a Hyper 64. If that's a 2-story indoor mall that had an arcade on the 2nd floor, that must have been where I played it.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
They had one at Golfland in SoCal too, which was also a hotbed for SNK/Capcom/IGS location tests.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
The Great Mall in Milpitas (?) had SS64 briefly. I walked right past it to Marvel Vs. Capcom. According to Neo Alec I'm responsible for the system crashing and burning SNK so hard. Ha! Still never played it.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I've heard that Beast Busters: Second Nightmare is the most common Hyper 64 game outside Japan, but I've never seen one or any other Hyper game in the wild myself.

There was one on board the cruise ship I took my honeymoon on, back in '02...The Norway.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member

Beast Busters 2 is the only Hyper cab I have ever seen here in the US. I would not be surprised if this is by far the most commonly imported hyper game given it's a gun game and it is housed in a nice looking dedicated cab.

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
I was living in NYC when the Hyper 64s were being released and I remember having seen one or two Samurai Showdown Cabs and a Fatal Fury W.A but ironically I don't remember seeing the more common Beast Buster games. Although I may have just been bypassing gun games at the time I was all Fighter and Shmup back then.

madLEGOman

n00b
i know there was atleast a hyper 64 cabinet sold off in santa maria, ca, in some warehouse clearance sale advertized through a craigslist ad about a year ago. i had work and didnt get to go. my boss went but got there just as the hyper 64 cabinet was driving away in the back of a truck. so we don't know for sure contents or functionality. however, another friend recalls seeing samurai showdown 64 at camelot (a mini golf course/arcade) in santa maria, way back when, so most likely that was the machine sold. now the arcade is called boomers. my boss did manage to find a cabinet with a metal slug 5 jamma board from that craigslist sale though.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
In the 90 Aladdin Castle in the Del Amo mall in Torrance Ca when the OG SNK HQ was based in Torrance had almost every title for the HYPER on the floor.