Your XRGB-Mini settings?

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Necrobump to prevent xsq hitting me with the search hammer.

I finally got my XRGB mini in today and to be honest I defenitely feel an increase in image quality from "no scaler and just use the TV in game mode" to "XRGB mini between the cmvs and tv" but there are still some things that puzzle me:
(prequesites: XRGB Mini updated to the latest Firmware Version, CMVS RGB/Sync/Ground/AudioLeft/AudioRight cinch to Mini-8-pin)

Many of you mentioned manually setting the sync and turning Auto sync off.
I can do that and I don't recognize much difference between Auto and 8 - when I go higher than 10 the image vanishes and only flickers and reappears from time to time - I checked the wiki but I'm still not sure what this sync setting actually DOES.

My Settings are meister mode, Output hdmi 1080p - did set my sony Bravia to game mode and turned off every setting that was available.
Looks quite good - image does not fully fill the screen at top and bottom though - but I'm reluctant to Change that due to the aspect ratio. (you see that better in AOF but I didn't have an image of that, it's not much just enough to recognize it)

xrgbmini.jpg

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Sync basically works or it doesn't. If he image isn't bouncing, or totally missing, leave it.

Meister mode is garbage, it uses filtering which is unnecessary unless you have a noisy source. Use "Picture" or "Natural" settings instead for 240p sources. With newer firmwares you can add scanlines seperately.

Also, if you want to use scanlines set it to 720p output instead of 1080p, the scanlines are much better. If you leave scanlines off, 1080p will give the sharper image.

Slight letterboxing at the top and bottom is normal. It varies a bit from system to system.

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
I learned lately that the SYNC_LEVEL still has an effect no matter if auto sync is on or not. I was playing some cps2 and i set the sync to 4 but my snes with a sync on composite cable needs a level of 20 even with auto sync on. With raw sync cables the level does not matter on auto.

It was confusing because i usually use raw sync cables with my snes and never touch the sync level . sync is such a vast subject and i still have alot to learn .

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
Btw V WIDTH of 33 with neo geo , it removes those 2 weird line when you use scanline.

KRiSX

King's Dry Cleaner
running mine at 720p w/ scanlines... looks incredible on the omega... picked up on the v_width tip on here which is great

pretty sure i have mine in picture mode or standard all the time, i wanna say there isn't really much difference?

what scanline settings do people recommend? i think i've got mine where i want them (would have to check what they are to tell you) but always good to see what preferences people have

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
what scanline settings do people recommend? i think i've got mine where i want them (would have to check what they are to tell you) but always good to see what preferences people have

@720p, I like the default setting of 80. Lower starts getting too dark, higher and the effect doesn't look as natural.

@1080p, I do SCAN_B_EVEN = 80 & SCAN_B_ODD = 100. Since odd lines appear to be 2 pixels high, this lightens them relative to the evens making things look about as balanced as possible without waiting for MicomSoft to fix the issue. :annoyed:

:)

KRiSX

King's Dry Cleaner
I bought the same overlay from this guy, but the sticker turned from gray to pink in a couple of week. Weird. Did anybody else have this problem?

didn't have that problem, was definitely from him too

also unrelated to your question... it seems i've settled on 70 for my scanlines... so i wasn't too far of a few of you

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
@720p, I like the default setting of 80. Lower starts getting too dark, higher and the effect doesn't look as natural.

@1080p, I do SCAN_B_EVEN = 80 & SCAN_B_ODD = 100. Since odd lines appear to be 2 pixels high, this lightens them relative to the evens making things look about as balanced as possible without waiting for MicomSoft to fix the issue. :annoyed:

:)

I've been using meister mode but will def need to try this.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've had my remote overlay for a year now, still looks new. You might contact the seller, or just buy another one, they are cheap enough.

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Just got my XRGB mini and connected it last night, updated to latest english firmware version 1.11 - http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/XRGBminiV1.11E.zip

Why do they lock you out of certain color settings like saturation when using RGB? I had to tweak the gamma, brightness, and black levels to stop colors from looking washed out. This could also be a problem with the TV (Vizio E370VA), but overall the picture quality coming from the xrgb is amazing.

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
Hope no one minds if I post my findings after getting an XRGB Mini. I posted this at Shmups, but anyway;

Thought I would post my experience re compatibility / synch problems;

I bought my cables from retrogamingcables.co.uk.

One was the basic replacement for Euroscart (STD).
The other was the one with the built in passive Synch Stripper (SS).

Device;___________STD___SS

RGB Saturn:________Y_____N
RGB (ext) PC Engine:_Y_____Y
RGB Neo Geo (HCS):_Y_____N
RGB Sigma AV5000:__N____Y Picture stable only at Synch level 26 (auto synch off)

As you will see it seems only my supergun required the stripper cable, and even then I had to fiddle around to find the best synch level.

The saturn would not generate a valid signal at all using the SS cable, but my external modded Core Grafx (via the expansion port with amp) seemed produce a good result on either, although I think the picture was better with the basic cable.

Given that it seems my supergun RGB requires an SS, I wondered if I would get a better result through a powered SS cable (that has a daisy chained +5v from the PSU). With that said, after a bit of tweaking it seems to work fine with the passive one.

I want to try a few more pcbs with the supergun (my MVS mobo and CPS3 in particular), to see if I get any variances. Also, when I first tried the supergun two days ago I couldn't get a stable picture at all, although I suspect that I was at 24 or the top setting 30, both of which cause the picture to bounce.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Just a heads-up for fellow Framemeister aficionados; Firmware 2.0 was released since the last post to this thread (April 20th).

New stuff:
* Reorganizing the OSD menu making access to items (such as resolution changes) more direct.
* Configuration presets can now be saved to micro SD card
* A "cellophane" (titled Overlay) mode added to simulate screen overlays for systems which had black & white graphics
* Adjacent scanlines can be"smoothed" (by altering brightness) to further tweak the look (though 1080P remains stuck with alternating 1 & 2 pixel thick lines :hammer: )
* Time to re-search for a signal can be adjusted (to minimize screen black-outs when switching inputs, for example)
* And a few other bits.

It seems odd that effort was put into refining scanlines, yet the longstanding 1080p scanline issue wasn't corrected. I found I liked "DEC_LINE 1" @ 75 & "DEC_LINE 2" @ 90 for a decent balance (if 720p doesn't do it for you).

rodolfocm

Another Striker
Just received my XRGB Mini! Still waiting for my RGB cable, so I was able to test it only with composite cable. I already notice a good gain in image quality, specially with scanlines enabled. But can't wait to test it with SCART!
Now, a question: does the XRGB come with a micro-SD card? I have read somewhere that it comes with a 512mb one, but I couldn't find it in the box.

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
Mine did not have a sd card with it. I just bought a 4gb and it worked.

Dinodoedoe

Bub & Bob's Bub,
20 Year Member
Mine did not come with a mini sd card.

I had to buy new RGB cables for my SNES and Saturn, from retro_console_accessories on ebay, because the ones I been using for years weren't registering in my the Framemeister. The Saturn looks gorgeous but it looks like my SNES model is the ones with super weak RGB signals. So for now, I'm using my Super Famicom with a cart adapter and I couldn't be happier.

I was a bit worried because my CMVS looked like a hot trash with terrible garbled out of sync video signal. I'm glad I found this tread, because my Neo-Geo has never looked so good on my aging HDTV.

Last edited:

rodolfocm

Another Striker
So looks like the micro SD was a kind od bonus for some people, lol
anyway im so anxious for my rgb cables to arrive!

rodolfocm

Another Striker
I just bought a Mega Drive (Sega Genesis) in Brazil, it outputs PAL-M video but everything else is just like a north-american Genesis. I hooked it to my XRGB Mini using the composite cable (I'm still waiting for my SCART cable to arrive). But for some reason, it won't display colors. Everything is in black and white. Anyone know how to fix this? I didn't find an option on the XRGB Mini menu to change it. Firmware is the last one (2.0).
Thanks a lot!

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
kind of a long shot, but has anyone hooked up a legacy PC with this thing? I have a legacy Windows 98SE rig, VGA of course, and am curious if there is any way to get this hooked up on my LCD with the XRGB Mini. I would love to chuck my old monitor and just use my flat screen.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
kind of a long shot, but has anyone hooked up a legacy PC with this thing? I have a legacy Windows 98SE rig, VGA of course, and am curious if there is any way to get this hooked up on my LCD with the XRGB Mini. I would love to chuck my old monitor and just use my flat screen.

I use one of these for VGA to HDMI. If you want to use a Framemeister, you'll likely need a sync combiner for your PC's VGA out so you can feed the Framemeister a single composite sync (no separate H/V ins for the mini). This seems like overkill to me given the simplicity of the first option.

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member

You might want to use an XPC-4 for this.