Fallout 4 Official Thread

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I'm so excited for this. The environment's look awesome and I love the fact that they already showed off a dog companion. I need to get a PS4 for it as sadly my pc is garbage.

fluxcore

Another Striker
I'm a pretty big fallout fan (have been since FO1), but this trailer... I've seen it all before. There's nothing to excite other than some nicer graphics.

I hope future announcements have something a bit more inventive in them.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Looking forward to it now that I'm getting a new PC soon. Can't wait to explore every nook and cranny like FO3 and then going back and doing it all over again after they release all the expansions.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
I already know I'm gonna always have a eye on the dog and his/her safety

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'm a pretty big fallout fan (have been since FO1), but this trailer... I've seen it all before. There's nothing to excite other than some nicer graphics.

I hope future announcements have something a bit more inventive in them.

I'm in the same boat. I'm a huge fan of Fallout but this isn't blowing my skirt up. Looks like more of the same--which isn't bad per se, but it's not exciting.

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
I'm in the same boat. I'm a huge fan of Fallout but this isn't blowing my skirt up. Looks like more of the same--which isn't bad per se, but it's not exciting.

Agreed. I played the hell out of Fallout 3...I have no doubt this will be a well crafted game, but I wasn't overly excited either. Perhaps I had my hopes too high, I was hoping this was gonna be the game that'd have the "new gen" WOW factor that...I just haven't seen yet...

The dog animation looked slick...the graphics, looked good...but didn't seem like as big of a leap as I would have expected...felt more like an HD remake with more colors...

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I'm looking forward to this. I'm not crazy excited like I was for the release of Fallout 3, but yeah - this'll be cool.

I hope it's as big as improvement for the franchise as Skyrim was for The Elder Scrolls.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
I'm looking forward to this. I'm not crazy excited like I was for the release of Fallout 3, but yeah - this'll be cool.

I hope it's as big as improvement for the franchise as Skyrim was for The Elder Scrolls.

Rarely do Shroom and I see eye to eye, but I've gotta agreed with him. If anything The Elder Scrolls have gotten progressively less like rpg sandboxes and into more of a streamlined experience. Sure there have been fewer bugs than in previous TES games but you also lose that sense of freedom within the system. Some of the most fun I've had in the series were things like being able to brew potions that would allow you to jump from one side of the map to the other, or crafting a set of clothing (no durability, no weight) and be completely invulnerable to melee damage.

I miss being able to do those things, but having my game crash less often is quite nice.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Excited that this a Bethesda release.

Funny enough, this is one of my points of hesitation.

I never played Fallout 1 or 2...at least not before I played 3. I played 3...and really enjoyed it for the most part. Then I played New Vegas...then 1 and finally 2.

One it was all said and done, 3 stuck out to me as "incomplete". 3...and Bethesda for that matter...had 2 major issues:

-This is 100s of years after the war...not 10s. 1, 2 and NV had plenty of new civilization to explore. Tons of new development and technology, plenty of human interaction. 3 was simply the wastes...and tons of it. Rubble, abandoned stuff, limited tech. After playing the other titles, 3 really felt flat in comparison...oceans of raiders and ghouls. Far more FPS than RPG...which leads me to my second point:

-FO 1 and 2 were RPGs...and NV successfully added in RPG elements to the game. NV was so much more "full" when compared to 3...which again...seemed much more like a themed FPS than a RPG with a 1st person interface.

The original world of FO wasn't just endless wasteland and rubble...and that's basically what 3 was. I hope that Bethesda will see this and keep many of the elements that I feel made NV better than 3.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Rarely do Shroom and I see eye to eye, but I've gotta agreed with him. If anything The Elder Scrolls have gotten progressively less like rpg sandboxes and into more of a streamlined experience. Sure there have been fewer bugs than in previous TES games but you also lose that sense of freedom within the system. Some of the most fun I've had in the series were things like being able to brew potions that would allow you to jump from one side of the map to the other, or crafting a set of clothing (no durability, no weight) and be completely invulnerable to melee damage.

I miss being able to do those things, but having my game crash less often is quite nice.

If anything, Skyrim and especially Oblivion were a step down from Morrowind.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

I think the main improvement was in terms of storytelling. I really dug how immersive Skyrim felt, how I felt like I was part of this cool world. I loved Oblivion but it was kind of bland.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
If anything, Skyrim and especially Oblivion were a step down from Morrowind.

Yep, Morrowind was definitely the pinnacle of the series.

That damn engine they've been using in all their games since Oblivion is shit.

Amazingly, Fallout 3 and NV were great despite the bullshit.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

I never played Fallout 1 or 2...at least not before I played 3. I played 3...and really enjoyed it for the most part. Then I played New Vegas...then 1 and finally 2.

One it was all said and done, 3 stuck out to me as "incomplete". 3...and Bethesda for that matter...had 2 major issues:

-This is 100s of years after the war...not 10s. 1, 2 and NV had plenty of new civilization to explore. Tons of new development and technology, plenty of human interaction. 3 was simply the wastes...and tons of it. Rubble, abandoned stuff, limited tech. After playing the other titles, 3 really felt flat in comparison...oceans of raiders and ghouls. Far more FPS than RPG...which leads me to my second point:

-FO 1 and 2 were RPGs...and NV successfully added in RPG elements to the game. NV was so much more "full" when compared to 3...which again...seemed much more like a themed FPS than a RPG with a 1st person interface.

The original world of FO wasn't just endless wasteland and rubble...and that's basically what 3 was. I hope that Bethesda will see this and keep many of the elements that I feel made NV better than 3.

I don't see any of the games as complete, but my problem with NV was that it created its own direction for the series to account for, with the NCR and tribals and khans, etc.

I loved 3. I loved the bleakness of Operation Anchorage. It felt like a metal gear solid.

I loved the mothership zeta add on. It was perfect.

NV offered some good additions, like food eating and water. But for me, 3 was top of the top.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I don't see any of the games as complete, but my problem with NV was that it created its own direction for the series to account for, with the NCR and tribals and khans, etc.

I loved 3. I loved the bleakness of Operation Anchorage. It felt like a metal gear solid.

I loved the mothership zeta add on. It was perfect.

NV offered some good additions, like food eating and water. But for me, 3 was top of the top.

The DLC of Fallout 3 made the game, in my opinion. Operation: Anchorage, Point Lookout and Broken Steel were all really great add ons. Never played The Pitt or Zeta...

I'll add that Old World Blues and Lonesome Road were equally as good (I fucking despised Dead Money and felt Honest Hearts was "meh" at best)

fluxcore

Another Striker

I'm quite glad that this comes across to some people even when FO3 is the first they play - because going FO1->FO2->FO3, FO3 was obviously a revelation in graphics, and clearly had a totally different gameplay style (for better or worse), the story/plot was pretty garbage. NV did feel like a return to form, even if the story did go in quite a different direction - but that's what I hope for in sequels. And of course NV was heavily based on a design for the original sequel to fallout 2, and had more input from people previously in the fallout design teams.

But hey, we need to go back to the 'opening a vault white-blindness fades to a wasteland' scene again, right? That'll be cool again, right?

edit: I only played the original FO3 btw, not the 'altered ending' or any of the DLC. Perhaps they saved it somewhat.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'm quite glad that this comes across to some people even when FO3 is the first they play - because going FO1->FO2->FO3, FO3 was obviously a revelation in graphics, and clearly had a totally different gameplay style (for better or worse), the story/plot was pretty garbage. NV did feel like a return to form, even if the story did go in quite a different direction - but that's what I hope for in sequels. And of course NV was heavily based on a design for the original sequel to fallout 2, and had more input from people previously in the fallout design teams.

But hey, we need to go back to the 'opening a vault white-blindness fades to a wasteland' scene again, right? That'll be cool again, right?

edit: I only played the original FO3 btw, not the 'altered ending' or any of the DLC. Perhaps they saved it somewhat.

*prepare for opinions*

Like most here...I have played many games and for thousands of hours. At this point, I can tell shit from shinola.

FO3 did indeed have a crap plot...really crappy as RPGs go, truth be told. It also killed much of what made the world of FO so alluring. Scavenging the wastes killing raiders over and over and over again was bad design. The game escalates too quickly and too many items are just too far out of reach. FO is a RPG, not a survival game. Personally, I fucking hate survival games. Barely having enough supplies on a constant basis gets old. Like I stated before, the world was also horribly scarce in content. At first, the visuals were awe inspiring...but then you realize that 90% of the game is rubble or cave/underground/vault scavenging in the dark while fighting of wave of wave of mindless enemies. Another gripe is that in 3, good tech is also horribly scarce up until the end.

Another major complaint is the cities in FO3. Where FO 1, 2 and NV have cities, or towns to explore...3 gives your Megaton and Rivet City. And that's about it. To make things worse, both are horribly lackluster.

3 was a start...I'll give it that but in terms of story, NV blew it out of the water. It was flawed, but the ability to side with factions added even more depth (save simply the karma of FO3).

I feel like I'm bashing 3...even though I considered it to be a success. It just isn't as "complete" as 1, 2, or NV is all...feels more like a concept game than a complete work.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Im taking time off when this comes out. Will have new vid card by then as well. woo woo.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Im taking time off when this comes out. Will have new vid card by then as well. woo woo.

I'll probably use this game as an excuse to drop $1000 or so...

My 42" LCD LG set I purchased back in the beginning of 2008 is getting a bit long in the tooth, it needs to be replaced pretty badly. (I have a small living room so I'd be shocked if I could get much larger than a 46"ish set in there.) Getting a PS4, new TV and FO4 would probably set me back $1K or so I'm guessing...

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
It was a good trailer but it looks like more of the same-bleak tone, rummaging through the remains of human civilization, fighting mutants with the game breaking dogmeat at your side.

Which is a good thing because Fallout 3 was one of the best games of its generation, if not the best. And I agree with everyone that says the DLC was all awesome. Because it all was.

But right now, The Witcher 3 is the king of the open world RPG for me. Bethesda have their work cut out if they wanna impress me. I hope they pull it off. Means even more better games.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Fallout 3 > New Vegas

Might just be my unpopular opinion for the day, but I'm not a fan of the western theme of New Vegas.