Fallout 4 Official Thread

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
And again...I'm glad it suits your needs...

I'm an old school RPG "stat build" kind of player...this is my need, changing this goes against my grain.
I'm an old-school RPG "stat builder/grinder" as well, but I have enough game design sense to know that VATS was incomplete/broken from the get-go. I also understand that this game is a hybrid, so you gotta cater to both RPG and FPS crowds. They've made good improvements and compromises in this version.
Sorry to hear you're not liking it as much as FO3.

None of you assholes have answered my question. The Institute. Cool as the hype made it out to be or no?

I would have answered that but I haven't got that far yet. I'm level 20 as of now, just from exploring, doing side quests and misc objectives. Haven't even stepped into Diamond City yet! You could say I'm stats grinding right now to get beefed up for a Main Quest push, but really I'm having a hellava time being immersed in the world.

Question: How many Legendary weapons have you guys picked up? I was able to acquire a couple.
Got a Lucky Machete (Critical shots do double damage and the critical meter fills 15% faster), which is perfect for my melee build. Also got an Enraging 10mm pistol (Critical hits cause target to frenzy), which is just hilarious to use on enemies in a crowd. Shoot a crit shot at an enemy and watch him attack his buddies! LOL I don't think I'll ever finish the main storyline, having way too much fun doing other shit. :D

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'm an old-school RPG "stat builder/grinder" as well, but I have enough game design sense to know that VATS was incomplete/broken from the get-go. I also understand that this game is a hybrid, so you gotta cater to both RPG and FPS crowds. They've made good improvements and compromises in this version.
Sorry to hear you're not liking it as much as FO3.

I would have answered that but I haven't got that far yet. I'm level 20 as of now, just from exploring, doing side quests and misc objectives. Haven't even stepped into Diamond City yet! You could say I'm stats grinding right now to get beefed up for a Main Quest push, but really I'm having a hellava time being immersed in the world.

Question: How many Legendary weapons have you guys picked up? I was able to acquire a couple.
Got a Lucky Machete (Critical shots do double damage and the critical meter fills 15% faster), which is perfect for my melee build. Also got an Enraging 10mm pistol (Critical hits cause target to frenzy), which is just hilarious to use on enemies in a crowd. Shoot a crit shot at an enemy and watch him attack his buddies! LOL I don't think I'll ever finish the main storyline, having way too much fun doing other shit. :D

I haven't even played it yet...I don't have any way of playing it at this point.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I'm having a lot of fun with the "base building" part of the game. It's pretty cool building complex stuff. It looks like there's no physical laws whatsoever in this game. You can litterally build and ewok village out of skids and shit :keke:

Also, this:

4JZhALJ.gif

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Nothing like having a super mutant suicider run at you screaming, "Only one of us is getting out of this alive!!!"

:lolz:

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Alright, so I finished the campaign last night, I chose the Railroad. All in all I feel about as "meh" as I did with the Fallout 3 ending. I was never in any rush to finish the story and spent my first 100 hours or so dickin' around in the wasteland. This was mostly good times and remains to be mostly good times.

Gameplay
VATS is no longer at the core of the gameplay like it was in FO3. Now the combat in serious moments is better left to playing through the ironsight. VATS is still present, but accuracy within VATS has been severely degraded. VATS is better used for picking off lesser enemies in order to fill the crit meter for legendary enemies and boss fights.

Graphics
Sub-par for current-gen games, imo. The game is poorly optimized, with frame rate dipping below 10fps on a few occasions. Draw distance isn't that great when compared to likes of The Witcher 3. And textures range from acceptable to poor. It's clear that Bethesda needs to invest in a new world engine for their next game. Atleast the wasteland in FO4 has a wider range of colors than FO3, lots of pastel colors, everything isn't all grey-brown.

Controls
Slightly improved from previous Bethesda games. Controls felt a little floaty in FO3, here in FO4 (even in a suit of power armor) the controls feel tightened.

Content
No disappointment here, it's a hoarders dream. Everything you pickup has meaning, has a purpose. Whether it goes towards building your settlements, modifying your gear, or completing objectives. And it's because of the crafting that I find myself picking every location down to the bone for resources I'll use later. It's awesome!

Overall Impression
I've enjoyed my time in Fallout 4, but it's clear that the game was rushed. There're more bugs in FO4 than you'd find in the past three Bethesda games. The settlement system, while cool, is bare-bones and needs to be fleshed out more (DLC, mods, ?). The story has no sense of urgency, just complete it at your leisure. But ultimately, content is king, and there's just a whole lot to do in this old-future of Boston.

My Score
8/10 - the myriad of bugs knock it down a point.

Last edited:

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
Magician, your review is the one I'll take the most seriously as I know you play the hell out of your rpgs. Not that I'm on the fence about getting it, but I'll take your word over ign or insert whichever website's name here. I am waiting to get a ps4 until next year sometime after February, and I still need to finish Fallout 3 as well as New Vegas. I can't wait to play this, but with those two games on my back log and the fact that I play games quite slow, I'm thinking I might just get the goty version whenever that eventually comes out with all the DLC.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
Why does everyone seem to gloss over New Vegas? It is superior to 3.

NV>3

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Why does everyone seem to gloss over New Vegas? It is superior to 3.

NV>3

I've always thought this...but for some reason we're in the vast minority. I felt NV had far more meat to it vs mindless rubble searching a neverending raider fights...

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
I found that the story in NV wasn't as good and the wasteland wasn't quite as interesting, although I do prefer the desert to the urban settings of 3 and 4. NV looked better, ran better and had much cooler weapons, so there's every reason to love it.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
I always liked NV and 3 equally, kinda missed the bobble heads being in NV, but I actually played NV more than 3. I have all the DLC but never got around to playing it. Thing I didn't like about 3 was how every area looks the same.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I found that the story in NV wasn't as good and the wasteland wasn't quite as interesting, although I do prefer the desert to the urban settings of 3 and 4. NV looked better, ran better and had much cooler weapons, so there's every reason to love it.

The story of both 3 and NV were both pretty weak. To me, that part boiled down to factions. The 3-way in NV was better than what 3 offered. Like you said as well...the tech, places to visit, the quality of the add-ons, items, we're all better in NV than 3. To me, 3 seemed like and endless ocean of rubble or vast open spaces of nothing. It was also too heavy with ghoul and raider fighting.

I am pretty disappointed with what I'm reading about how VATS has been severely neutered in 4...that's some horse shit. I'll say it again, I fucking hate FPS gaming and find the "iron sights" portion of Fallout to be equally as frustrating.

I'm getting real to close to skipping this title altogether....

My best friend picked it up...he and I are close to what we like/dislike. I'll await his opinion on it...that will probably make or break the game in my mind.

Magician

20 Year Member
Platinum trophy, done.

I'll be dabbling with a fourth playthrough while waiting for dlc and mods.

I really hate how I had to game the game to unlock the platinum but whatever, I had fun.

Magician

20 Year Member
Are you referring to the maximum settlement happiness trophy?

Yup, you cannot unlock that trophy unless you game the game.

It's necessary to build sixteen level-three vendor stands

Since there're only six variants of vendor stands you're just building duplicate stands in order to pop the trophy/achievement.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
game is consuming me

I'm slowly regretting purchasing it

It's not that special of a game, it just has a way of keeping you hooked

holy shit.

Craft system blows, but I'm getting better at it.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
Yup, you cannot unlock that trophy unless you game the game.

It's necessary to build sixteen level-three vendor stands

Since there're only six variants of vendor stands you're just building duplicate stands in order to pop the trophy/achievement.

Stupid. I figured that trophy would be the most difficult one. I'm not letting this get in the way of my first platinum, though.