RetroAchievements - retro games with trackable XBL/PSN-style gamerscore

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Just found out about http://retroachievements.org/.

Probably like 200 games with achievements across a bunch of systems. Game list here. Basically you download a custom emulator, supply your own ROMs and it tracks for the achievement conditions. It's really easy, sign up, load ROM, play, took me about 2 minutes to get started. Seems fun, might be a good way to revisit older stuff you might not have played otherwise.

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
I set up an account and started playing a bit. An interesting idea!

Do you have a use account over there yet that I could add, ebin?

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Looks awesome!

I was just having a conversation with my brother on if classic games had achievements and which ones we would put (finding the Minus world in SMB, beating contra without the konami code, etc) and lo and behold there it is

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Cool. It's still definitely in the 'open beta' phase, so new achievements are being added and tested all the time. Some are still messed up. If you get one incorrectly or don't get one you should have gotten, leave some feedback on the game page. Everything from creation to testing is pretty much a user effort, so they appreciate the feedback. All things considered, it's a pretty slick implementation.

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Yay for progress. We got the admin to work up an alpha of a PCE emulator for the site, and the kinks are being worked out now. Neo comes next :D

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Yay for progress. We got the admin to work up an alpha of a PCE emulator for the site, and the kinks are being worked out now. Neo comes next :D

It was almost a disaster, people were legitimately questioning whether the Master System is more popular than the Neo. I had to step in right quick. At least we have PCE.

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Indeed! I am pretty excited to see what kind of stuffs we get for it!

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Any of you guys jumping in, post up yer username on there so we can be doing the adding thing :D

yoyo

n00b
Sorry to bump an old thread but I just came across this and wow, this is awesome. Playing some Mega Man 2 right now and earned 4 achievements :D

cornerstone

King's Dry Cleaner
I think this is a good idea, but I hate what achievements have done to modern gaming. I found myself a wasting hours of my life doing dumb bullshit just to hear a stupid Pavlovian bell ring from the corner of the screen. Instead of putting inventive little secrets in games, developers just added back in N64 era collectathons and "hit a button 5,000 times" rewards, and people eat that shit up. I've turned the notification off a while ago.

Now I do think this retro achievement is good, because the games weren't designed around it.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Hated the thing when SE implemented it into the PS2 Star Ocean game. I must have put that game on auto-fire for weeks to earn some of the more ridiculous trophies.

yoyo

n00b
Not gonna lie, I've grown somewhat addicted to the site, they have some pretty well-thought out achievements for some fantastic games, for the most part nothing too ridiculous or stupid.

yoyo

n00b
I forgot to throw out my username, silly me :P If you guys want, add "yoyo". That one was hard to figure out huh.

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey
I've recently joined this site also! (Thanks whisper!) It's a VERY neat idea and one I've had on the back of my mind for ages but it IS still very beta.. I also hate the fact that they use my LEAST favourite emulators for snes and genesis..

Things like achievements activating without getting them, achievement windows don't pop up in full screen and input errors are a bit annoying. Once I get past these I may find myself enjoying the site..

Anyways.. I'm JonnyRetro on there.. peeps feel free to add me :)

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Hahahahahaha...

Oh man, something about that gif...damn near just fell out of my chair! :D :D

IrishNinja

Kuroko's Training Dummy
man, one of the mods at GAF was working on something like this for NES emulation...this is awesome! Signing up now to see how i fare in Strider, thanks ebinsugewa!

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey
man, one of the mods at GAF was working on something like this for NES emulation...this is awesome! Signing up now to see how i fare in Strider, thanks ebinsugewa!

The more the merrier :D

Let me know your username when you join!

Also, is anyone good at Super Hang on?