Next MVS shooter I should pick up?

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Strikers 1945 on the Neo is just fucking garbage.

Honestly it's easily one of the worst shooters on the Neo. Static, unimaginative backgrounds, boring enemies and just repetitive gameplay. And the graphics have this shitty-digitized-and-cutout-with-MS-Paint look to them.

I have played through my MVS cart once and then shelved it.

I have no idea why people get excited about it.

It sucks.

Well, my copy of Strikers Plus just showed up. Played it through the first loop real quick like. Decided I'd go through the second loop later when I'm not so tired after work.

Yeah, it's not the greatest graphically.

But it's exactly the kind of shooter I used to play in arcades back when I was a kid. So I enjoyed it. Yeah, it'd have been nicer if it was a bit cheaper. But I'm good with the purchase and will play it again many times.

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
Yeah, it's not the greatest graphically. But it's exactly the kind of shooter I used to play in arcades back when I was a kid.

It really isn't the best graphically, but the difficulty and different planes really carry the game. Like you said, it's one of those games to get you started into the genre, and just sticks with you. It definitely has replayability.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
It really isn't the best graphically, but the difficulty and different planes really carry the game. Like you said, it's one of those games to get you started into the genre, and just sticks with you. It definitely has replayability.

Yeah, it's exactly like the stuff I played as a kid. I didn't play many horizontals in the arcades. Didn't play the newer shooters. Mainly just older stuff like Strikers Plus. So to be able to play it at home is kinda cool.

Gotta find a Viewpoint next. That one has stuck with me over the years. Only got to play it a few times before it disappeared from wherever it was I was playing it. But always looked for it at other arcades to try and find it again.

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
Gotta find a Viewpoint next. That one has stuck with me over the years. Only got to play it a few times before it disappeared from wherever it was I was playing it. But always looked for it at other arcades to try and find it again.

Viewpoint is another game I would like to get into. From the Youtube game footage, it does look interesting! I'll probably get this one on AES.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Graphics aren't the real problem with Strikers (although it is an issue).

The real problem is the stagnate gameplay and sheer lack of variety in the environment.

To me it's just plain boring to play. Fucking snooze fest.

But if you guys like it, that's cool.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
So if Strikers bores you, what MVS shooter do you feel doesn't suck?

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
To me, Strikers is all about memorization and gradual improvement. I have fun going after higher scores in the game. I could see how someone could perceive it as boring grinding out the same levels over and over again, though.

As mentioned, the random stage order (for the first four levels) and the selection of planes does give it some variety.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
So if Strikers bores you, what MVS shooter do you feel doesn't suck?

Andro Dunos
Last Resort
Pulstar
Blazing Star
Viewpoint
Zedblade (very underrated)
Sonic Wings 2
Ghost Pilots (though this one lacks in weapon upgrades)

I dunno. I just find Strikers to be one of the least appealing shooters on the Neo.

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
Andro Dunos
Last Resort
Pulstar
Blazing Star
Viewpoint
Zedblade (very underrated)
Sonic Wings 2
Ghost Pilots (though this one lacks in weapon upgrades)

I dunno. I just find Strikers to be one of the least appealing shooters on the Neo.

Have gotten Ghost Pilot, and did not care for it at all. I guess upgrading your plane and variety ruined it for me. Zedblade looks pretty intense too, so that's another game I want to get into sometime soon.

Also, is Andros Dunos really worth it?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I'd have to add Prehistoric Isle 2 to that list.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I'd have to add Prehistoric Isle 2 to that list.

Same.

In order of play/my preference (just for games I own):

Strikers 1945 Plus
Viewpoint
Blazing Star
Prehistoric Isle 2
Aero Fighters 2
Aero Fighters 3
Captain Tomaday

Once I get Last Resort and Pulstar, I'm sure those will be close to the top of my list, though.

GinForBreakfast

Quiz Detective
Viewpoint on AES is quite challenging. Yesterday I got to Stage III, but the last f*cking boss I met got my hands sweating a bit. "Yeah yeah, ain't seen nothin' yet" :)

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Viewpoint on AES is quite challenging. Yesterday I got to Stage III, but the last f*cking boss I met got my hands sweating a bit. "Yeah yeah, ain't seen nothin' yet" :)

Speaking of Viewpoint, gamers on a budget that can't quite swing the price for Viewpoint, really should check out the Genesis port of it. It's a very good version of it considering the hardware differences.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I tried to find an MVS copy of Viewpoint yesterday. No luck. Just found Neo CD & AES copies.

And the PI2 I was thinking about was also gone.

Those are the next two shooters I'd like to pick up. Probably just have to wait a bit for either of them.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Speaking of Viewpoint, gamers on a budget that can't quite swing the price for Viewpoint, really should check out the Genesis port of it. It's a very good version of it considering the hardware differences.

Makes the playstation version look like shit. :D

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
[about Andros Dunos] I guess it depends on how much it is going for these days.

It's very good and very hard. Old school side scrolling shmup.

I do have an opportunity to obtain it for the home console, but with the person, I can tell that it's way overpriced. I really want to get it, but at the same time, I don't want to get ripped off either. It's a banned user that constantly tries to rip off the community. However, I'm debating on whether or not to get it.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
It's a banned user that constantly tries to rip off the community. However, I'm debating on whether or not to get it.

Fucking hell, why deal with them then?

You know from the get go you are getting screwed.

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
Fucking hell, why deal with them then?

You know from the get go you are getting screwed.

I'll let him hang then. I can wait for a while. It would give me a break from building my AES/MVS collection too, or even would give me an opportunity to get other stuff for my Neo.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
BS
Pulstar
Viewpoint
AF 2

Are the only shmups worth owning on the Neo

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I was just informed of a Viewpoint that was listed a short bit ago. So I snagged that real quick. Very much looking forward to that.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I was just informed of a Viewpoint that was listed a short bit ago. So I snagged that real quick. Very much looking forward to that.

You are damn lucky I was at a TSO concert when that cart was listed or I would have snagged it. :lolz:

Good job with the scoop! It's a beautifully difficult game.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Basically people are starting to almost naming the whole list of Neo Geo shoot 'em ups... I rather like most of them, don't get me wrong, but there are a few I have to say are not special. For example, Ghost Pilots is rather bland, I fire it up when I am feeling nostalgic, that's about it. I never have played Strikers 1945 Plus on the MVS, but I hear it has some significantly major slowdown issues. I can't really deal with that if it's true. I sold my copy of Shock Troopers 2 for that reason alone.