Next MVS shooter I should pick up?

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Always liked arcade shooters. And having just picked up an Omega a month ago I don't have too many MVS carts yet. For shooters I currently only have Aero Fighters 2 & 3.

And as they're not really cheap, was wondering what the next MVS shooter is that I should pick up?

Maybe someday I'll be able to have them all. But for now I'll probably just be knocking them off one a month or so.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Last Resort, Blazing Star, or.....just pay for it and get Pulstar.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
If you like horizontal shooters, blazing star. If you prever verticals I'd go with Strikers 1945 Plus next.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Last Resort, Blazing Star, or.....just pay for it and get Pulstar.

Not sure if I'm faster than scoops the panda.... :lolz:

Blazing Star did look interesting from the short vid I've seen of it played.

If you like horizontal shooters, blazing star. If you prever verticals I'd go with Strikers 1945 Plus next.

I like them both. Though slightly prefer verts I suppose.

How's Viewpoint stack up with what's been mentioned so far?

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
Viewpoint would be a nice addition to your MVS collection.

The game has a top soundtrack but be warned though the game is hard as nails and finding one cheap nowadays is very scarce.

Last edited:

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I have Blazing Star... would love to get Pulstar, Last Resort or Viewpoint carts but I have no idea what they are going for. I never see them for sale

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I know Viewpoint isn't exactly cheap. But other than Ghost Pilots, AF2 & AF3 the rest of the MVS shooters are all $100+ aren't they?

So mostly just looking for a priority list on them.

So far we've got Pulstar, Blazing Star, Viewpoint, Strikers, & Last Resort on the upper end.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I got strikers for under 100 shipped, same with blazing star. I think I paid 90 shipped each for them. Just keep an eye out.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
So far I'm recalling seeing Strikers for $125-$150. Not sure if I recall seeing a Blazing Star yet. Pulstar is around $200, right? Viewpoint at the $150-$200 range? Not sure I've seen a Last Resort yet either.

Then there's always that Ghost Pilots I can pick up for $70 shipped with extra crap I don't want... :lolz:

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Both "those games" can still be found for way under $200.

You just have to look.

Imho, pick up a good <$100 shmup. You'll enjoy it more.

Imho: Stikers, Blazing Star, Aero Fighters 2, and Last Resort are all good pics.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Here is a list of Neo Geo shmups: http://www.shmups.com/xenocidefiles/neogeo.html

There aren't many, and most of them are rare/expensive.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with Ghost Pilots. It's unimaginative and too repetitive. Same goes for Alpha Mission 2.

Last Resort and Viewpoint are awesome. The best Neo Geo shmups tend to be extremely difficult but rewarding.

I haven't played Blazing Star or Pulstar but they look awesome as well from the vids I've seen and comments of others. Also hear good things about Strikers 1945+

Side note: I just scored a copy of Prehistoric Isle 2 today, which looks completely insane.

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
People have gone on to say that Andro Duros is a good shmup for the neo...Also, AF2 over AF3...They're very similar, but AF2 seems to have better style.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Now that Ironclad is no longer NGCD exclusive, it's worth picking it up on mvs. It shouldn't cost an arm and a leg either as those are all eprom carts.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Strikers is my favorite, but if you already have one of the other Strikers arcade pcbs I wouldn't make it a priority.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Start with Last Resort and put hair on that chest!

:lolz:

Here is a list of Neo Geo shmups: http://www.shmups.com/xenocidefiles/neogeo.html

There aren't many, and most of them are rare/expensive.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with Ghost Pilots. It's unimaginative and too repetitive. Same goes for Alpha Mission 2.

Last Resort and Viewpoint are awesome. The best Neo Geo shmups tend to be extremely difficult but rewarding.

I haven't played Blazing Star or Pulstar but they look awesome as well from the vids I've seen and comments of others. Also hear good things about Strikers 1945+

Side note: I just scored a copy of Prehistoric Isle 2 today, which looks completely insane.

Thanks for the link. I'm interested in Ghost Pilots for nostalgia as I used to play it in arcades 20+ years ago. And it's kinda cheap.

And I've been wondering how Prehistoric Isle 2 was. Haven't really seen much on it.

People have gone on to say that Andro Duros is a good shmup for the neo...Also, AF2 over AF3...They're very similar, but AF2 seems to have better style.

I've not really heard anything good about Andro Dunos yet. So that's news to me. And I already have AF2 & AF3 as I mentioned in the first post.

Now that Ironclad is no longer NGCD exclusive, it's worth picking it up on mvs. It shouldn't cost an arm and a leg either as those are all eprom carts.

Guess I shouldn't have passed up on Ironclad a month ago. It's not hard find though.

Strikers is my favorite, but if you already have one of the other Strikers arcade pcbs I wouldn't make it a priority.

I don't have any other arcade PCBs. Just have a CMVS.

Have a line on a Blazing Star. So unless one of the other higher quality shooters comes up for a killer deal I'll probably go with BS next then work on from there.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
what the hell, none of you sluts like Alpha Mission 2???

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
AM 2 looks like it's pretty complicated with the weapons/shields system from the vid I say of it. Not sure if it's a good thing or not yet.

Hodor

Cheng's Errand Boy
AM 2 looks like it's pretty complicated with the weapons/shields system from the vid I say of it. Not sure if it's a good thing or not yet.

Not really when you get used to it, trust me ;-)

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I'll be more than happy to part with a copy of Pulstar, for the awesome price of 850 USD.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I'll be more than happy to part with a copy of Pulstar, for the awesome price of 850 USD.

You forget the decimal? That supposed to be $8.50?

Tell you what, I'll round it up to an even $10. And I'll even pay the PayPal fees... ;)

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
You forget the decimal? That supposed to be $8.50?

Tell you what, I'll round it up to an even $10. And I'll even pay the PayPal fees... ;)

Oh no, the decimal was intentionally left out. This is already sold anyway. :D

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I've got both Strikers 1945+ and Blazing Star for the MVS that I could let go of. Both are originals but Blazing Star has a old peeled label.
PM me if you're interested, and we can work out a deal.