XRGB-Mini Remote

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
So my just stopped working, I don't know wtf is wrong with it. Put new batteries in and made sure it was in clear sight, but nothing worked. Not quite sure what's up.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Some silly suggestions but...

Do you have a camera with an LCD (or CRT) viewfinder you can point it at to visibly check that the IR LED is sending out light pulses (when pressing buttons)?
Also, it's possible the batteries and remote are both good, but it isn't registering because one or more buttons are stuck.

Fox1

20 Year Member
Ah, I'll check tonight. Thanks

Fox1

20 Year Member
I'm not seeing any pulses going through hmmm

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've heard that the remotes are kind of POSes, yours isn't the first that has died. Perhaps contact Solaris Japan to see if they have a way to get a replacement remote? Also, I have heard that some of the Harmony remotes have a setting for "XRGB Mini" that work, although I have no idea which remotes that was, but someone was talking about it at shmups.

billbrasky

Cheng's Errand Boy
that sucks to hear. i tried the camera thing to check for a pulse and after slapping the remote around a bit i can get it to work for a little while. but it's almost unpredictable. but i guess it's clear that the remote itself pretty much is crap.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Bump,

Just tried using my remote after 6 months of non use, yep, mine is screwed. Did the phone test by pointing the beam to the camera lens and no response on the remote.

Bleh... don't know if I could be arsed ordering a replacement from Solaris or eBay. Likely just happen again.

Anyone else have their remote die on them?

Kez

n00b
If you're handy with a soldering iron, most of the time doing these steps will fix remote control issues:

- clean the board and all the contacts thoroughly (with isopropanol or something similar)
- reflow the solder joints on all the components
- replace any electrolytic caps
- replace the IR LEDs

I've probably had 10-20 broken remotes that have been fixed by doing this.